[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
mongolia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 9
File: ulaanbaatar9.jpg (209 KB, 1600x1063) Image search: [Google]
ulaanbaatar9.jpg
209 KB, 1600x1063
Next year I plan on doing some traveling and I wanted to start off in Mongolia since it seems that would be the hardest to manage compared to all of east asia, and therefore I would want to get it out of the way.

From what I've read, there is really no need to spend more than a day or two in the capitol.

Looks like to me the cheapest way of getting there would be flying to beijing and taking the train.

Like most others, seeing the gobi desert is probably the top reason people go there. However, I don't think I'm up to spending 10 days or two weeks living with nomads. I think I would prefer a shorter stay, but can be easily persuaded otherwise. Are there any festivals to looks out for, best time of year?

Anyone has been there and want to give their opinions or experiences on visiting mongolia? thanks in advance for any info provided
>>
>>1055964
I have another question:

Is there any way to stay with nomads for two/three weeks without it being commercial as fuck? Is it commercial as fuck?
>>
File: 20151121_154511.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20151121_154511.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>1055964
Don't go in winter.

I just got back from there, there's not much to do outside of the capital in winter and not that much you can do inside it either.

Beijng->Ulaanbaatar is about a two day trip, easy enough I guess.

Ger tourism is totally a thing, fortunately, commercial-as-fuck things in Mongolia aren't super commercial because the place is so undeveloped.

Nadaam festival is in June/July, it's the only festival that's worth remembering I think. It's the high season for tourism but also the best time to go.
>>
>>1055981

>Is staying in a ger commerical as fuck?

HAHAHA

Oh god no. The high end ger camps at the biggest tourist spots (Khustain, Orkhon Falls) are still just felt tents and you will be doing great if your hosts bothered to bring you some wood for your stove.

Not to say Mongolians are bad hosts, just the idea of commerical tourism hasn't yet caught on. You should always expect you'll need to gather you own cow shit in the morning. Mongolia is still a few decades from the spa resort.

The benefit is that you can camp anywhere, the negative is that you will be camping. If you enjoy camping, nomad trips are awesome, you'll love it.
>>
>>1055964

1.) I'm not sure I've ever thought of Mongolia as hard to travel in. Getting out there is only a plane or train away, and since the country is a stable and (decently) working open democracy, you don't really have to worry about much.

Everything is affordable, there are no limits on movement. Just find someone who speaks your language and find someone who owns a Based UAZ and go do whatever you want.

2.) UlanBator

UB isn't so much lacking in quanity of things or even quality of things, but really it is a lack of variety. A lot of neat things to see if you have never been immersed in Buddhism, and Mongolian Buddhism if pretty interesting. Beyond that, it's a industrial captial city. Government and factories and stuff of foreign investors.

However, if you use UB as a basecamp, you can see a lot on day trips South and East.

3.) Things to see

I guess people like the Gobi, but the Orkhon Valley is much prettier and has more things to see. It has to be seen in the spring or summer because it's middle of nowhere and because once it's green and alive, the steppe and the forests are beautiful.

Not sure about weeks with nomads; spending that much time with strangers is incredibly hard in any situation. Few days out though fine, certainly if you hit up established ger camps and have a guide you understands your culture.
>>
File: 2015-06-06_21-53-24_856.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
2015-06-06_21-53-24_856.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1840
Vesak Festival, on the full moon in May, there is a big lanturn lighting thing in UB.

Everyone in the city lights off their own paper lanturns, but if you take the extra 30 seconds of work and buy a ticket, you can get into the real Buddhist shin-dig, and they'll give you a lanturn and prayer cards and you'll listen to the monks grove out.

I had no idea what was happening, but it sure is pretty when the sky is full of the things.
>>
>>1055964
Mongolia is what you'd expect. It's vast and empty. But also beautiful in a rugged way. Just be warned that you pretty much have to have local help to get you anywhere outside UB. There are many tour companies, just pick one and ask what they can provide for you.

There is practically no public transport, and lodgings aren't just around every corner. Basically, you can't do independent backpacking in Mongolia like in many other countries, you need locals to arrange for things.
>>
>>1055995
Ha, def don't plan to go anywhere for the winter. I was thinking maybe april, may, or maybe even june next year. Thanks for the info

>>1056038
I didn't think it'd be hard to travel in, just that it is more difficult than say, china or south korea. Thanks for the info, I'll look into Orkon Valley. I don't plan to stay in the country more than a week or 10 days if I see there is enough to do.

>>1056041
That looks pretty interesting. Might be worth checking out
>>
quick bump before i let it die
>>
File: mongolia in one picture.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
mongolia in one picture.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1840
Traveling across Mongolia consists of a lot of this.

Pack a pillow because Russian vans don't come standard with shock absorbers.
>>
>>1057536
Yea, i've been reading that a lot. I think I'll just do a 5-6 day travel. thanks
>>
File: Dominic.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1334) Image search: [Google]
Dominic.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1334
>>1055964
You need at most two days in UB to see the sights. gtfo if you don't have local contacts.
I strongly advise you fly in to UB, not a train.
>www.stepperiders.mn
Pepper your angus for a less than four hours of training before you head out. Would reccomend 7 days tops. Three days on the Steppe is maddening.
Ask for Boynah as your guide.
>http://www.horsefiddle.com/tour-to-gobi-desert/
If you're in Australia, I'd reccomend Bukhu. Absolute gun and the Tsngee the Driver is a legend.

Remember, Khazachs aren't Mongol :^)
>>
File: DSCN0366.jpg (7 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0366.jpg
7 MB, 4608x3456
>>1055995
>Nadaam festival is in June/July, it's the only festival that's worth remembering I think. It's the high season for tourism but also the best time to go.
Go early, the moment UB has their Nadaam the country side dies. You want local Nadaam before the UB, eat hushuur and drink araig.
>>
File: DSCN0676.jpg (7 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0676.jpg
7 MB, 4608x3456
>>1057536
Yes.
>>
>>1057842

That's a nice photo, was that taken down in the desert?
>>
good gimmick hahahaha
>>
>>1057990
Yyyup.
>>
>>1057837
Are they singing the song of their people?
>>
File: telr.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
telr.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1840
>>1058183

Its's just so flat. Have not seen that side of Mongolia, would like to get back there in a few years.
>>
>>1058451
They're basically calling each other out by saying they're an eagle and mountain so don't fuck with them.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.