[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any backpackers here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: working holiday.jpg (138 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
working holiday.jpg
138 KB, 1200x800
What is it like to travel to world working at odd jobs in the meantime to cover your living expenses?
Am I romanticizing it too much?
Is it dangerous for me to do that (I am a girl)?
Is it sustainable in the long run?
Can I still earn some savings at the end of each month?
How tough is the work involved?
What is the best way to find accommodation?
Is working in minimum wage jobs overseas necessarily better than working in minimum wage jobs locally?
>>
>>1054836
>What is it like to travel to world working at odd jobs in the meantime to cover your living expenses?
If you have some savings to begin with it's not bad. If you're going in with no savings it's going to suck.
>Am I romanticizing it too much?
Maybe, but most people do and make it work.
>Is it dangerous for me to do that (I am a girl)?
No
>Is it sustainable in the long run?
For a few years yeah, not for your whole life though.
>Can I still earn some savings at the end of each month?
Yes, if you go the work holiday visa route and work in places like Australia or Canada you'll be able to save up. That is only if you don't fall into the trap of partying every single night like some people do. A lot of people who do this sort of travel are on their own for the first time in their lives and are like animals off the leash. It's no wonder Aussies get such a bad rep in Whistler. If you are disciplined with your spending you can save up for further travel.
>How tough is the work involved?
That really depends what you do. It's usually not too bad if you're young and able bodied. Farm work is tougher than working in resorts for example. Restaurant/bar work is usually super easy.
>What is the best way to find accommodation?
Craigslist or something similar locally. Hostels are good places to stay initially as they might help with finding jobs and meet other travelers to share an apartment with later on.
>Is working in minimum wage jobs overseas necessarily better than working in minimum wage jobs locally?
Usually not, but then again Australian minimum wage is like $15/h so if you're not from a western country than it's much better there.
>>
>>1054848
>If you're going in with no savings it's going to suck
Don't most countries require you to have savings before they give you a working holiday visa?
>but most people do and make it work
And your point is?
>not dangerous
My parents are worried though. I will probably go alone.
>For a few years yeah, not for your whole life though
Is it possible to settle in another country that I have citizenship?
>If you are disciplined with your spending you can save up for further travel
Around how much can I save per month? Doesn't work at a minimum wage job mean that I have little time to travel?
>Restaurant/bar work is usually super easy
Well, many people dislike restaurant/bar work in their homelands due to having a terrible manager, long hours, and the fact that it is a dead end job with little pay
>Hostels
Don't you need a hostel membership card? Is sharing an apartment with a bunch of strangers dangerous?
>Usually not, but then again Australian minimum wage is like $15/h
I'm actually asking if working in a minimum wage job overseas is better in the sense of it being more "fulfilling", "more interesting" and "happier" experience. Pretty sure other western countries do not have such a high minimum wage.
>>
File: Winter-house-covered-in-snow.jpg (75 KB, 640x460) Image search: [Google]
Winter-house-covered-in-snow.jpg
75 KB, 640x460
>>1054859

Minimum wage laws are not the be all end all indication of a nation's plebs' income.
Sweden has no minwage regulation and I work a basically unqualified job making 20 USD an hour, more in the evenings. I am fairly lucky, but I don't think anyone with a serious job makes under 12 USD. It's supposedly relatively costly to live here though but I doubt if those claiming that actually spend wisely.
Income tax in that bracket is probably around 25% but you can earn something like 5700 USD a year tax-free. Gotta fill in some form to get your tax return ASAP though or you might end up waiting for a year before you're reimbursed. Quite a digression..

Seems almost every early 20's swede is going to Australia on a 12 month work visa for their soulsearching, self-realizing needs these days.
Norway for big money (to be spent on overpriced alcohol the very same weekend). Those with savings who just want to get pozzed up with STDs by other vapid uggoes go to SE Asia, of course.

I am not enough of an outgoing, industrious go-getter to do something like this, least of all in the current jobmarket. I think this hobo-romanticism might belong to an earlier era. One of plentiful work for unskilled labour.
>>
>>1054859
>Don't most countries require you to have savings before they give you a working holiday visa?
Yes, but often times they don't check.
>And your point is?
It won't be as glamorous as you think it will be. It's not going to be partying every day in expensive bars and clubs. The jobs won't be something you would normally want to do back home. But if you make the most of it, you can travel for an extended period and not care that you're cleaning toilets in a resort or picking carrots out of the ground because you get to see a lot of beautiful sights.
>My parents are worried though. I will probably go alone.
What country do you plan on going to?
>Is it possible to settle in another country that I have citizenship?
If you have citizenship in another country you can move there no problem, I don't get the question.
>Around how much can I save per month? Doesn't work at a minimum wage job mean that I have little time to travel?
In Australia it's easily possible to save $500-1000 per month if you budget wisely. Yes you have to sacrifice travel time for work. That's why on work-holiday visas people work half the time and travel half the time.
>Don't you need a hostel membership card? Is sharing an apartment with a bunch of strangers dangerous?
No membership needed. Sharing an apartment with roommates is normal the world over. Get a lock for your shit if you're worried.
>more "fulfilling", "more interesting" and "happier" experience
Possibly. There are people who work good jobs that they quit to work shitty jobs for much less money somewhere else that makes them more happy. But it's really up to the person, I don't know whether it will make you happier. Usually people enjoy it because it's something new in their life but eventually they would get jaded of it like with a job back home. If you keep changing things up it will likely be better than being bored at home.
>>
>>1055291
What if you were to, before going for it, get a few (or a lot of) qualifications?
Like, spending an year learning as many skills as possible, learning to drive anything, fix anything, etc? I mean, if I can cook, drive, fix a toilet, fix a car, fix a pc, speak several languages, and learn manual labour (like building houses), I should be fine anywhere, right?
>>
>>1054836
why not go overseas , take a job with lot of free time .. and pays good
and go lot on vacation from there on ?

eg : teaching in china or south korea
>>
>>1055555
>It won't be as glamorous as you think it will be.
That is what I am thinking. Working at Burger King in another country is not necessarily better.
>What country do you plan on going to?
Probably some developed countries
>If you have citizenship in another country you can move there no problem, I don't get the question.
Obviously I don't want to work at Starbucks forever in that country. I mean, is it possible to go there working in entry-level dead-end jobs and then find some other jobs? How easy or difficult is that?
>In Australia it's easily possible to save $500-1000 per month if you budget wisely.
Is that US dollars or Aussie dollars?
>Sharing an apartment with roommates is normal the world over
I am a girl though
>There are people who work good jobs that they quit to work shitty jobs for much less money somewhere else that makes them more happy
These people really exist? Working as a banker seem better than doing hard work on a farm.
>Usually people enjoy it because it's something new in their life but eventually they would get jaded of it like with a job back home
Agree
>>
>>1056095
>eg : teaching in china or south korea
English is not my first language, so being an ESL teacher is not possible.
>>
>>1056097
>I am a girl though

Then look for other girls who are in the same boat. Jebus.
>>
>>1056097
>>Sharing an apartment with roommates is normal the world over
>I am a girl though
How is this relevant?
>>
>>1056100
>>1056124
It has to be a troll. No one is this dense, even on 4chan.
>>
>>1056124
Girls are more vulnerable
>>
beware of muslims
>>
>>1056097
>I'm a girl thoughhhhh my situation is special!!!
Holy shit, I realize that being a woman might get you some unwanted attention from some nuts, but backpacking on a shoe-string budget will put you in contact with a lot of weirdos. If you don't think you can handle dealing with other people like an adult, and the small chance of being in a dicey situation, then stay home until you can travel on a proper budget.

I'm tired of talking to all these bitches who are afraid of traveling from one developed country, to another developed country because they have a vagina. Be aware of whatever situation you're in, and don't be retarded.Goddamn.

I met a badass girl last summer who was on a three month trip through Europe. She had no issue with hitch-hiking, sleeping in train stations, and finding jobs to work on craigslist. I'm not saying she had no problems, but if anyone was giving her shit she had no issue with telling them to fuck off.
>>
>>1056132
Ech, think it's a case of 'if you don't really want to do something, you'll find an excuse not to do it.'

Travel is not a duty you have to do. If you don't want to do it, don't do it.

Or better yet, (wo)man up and fucking do something risky for once in your life. Or even something you believe to be risky because you have no actual life experience.
>>
>>1056132
That is what a strong independent woman that don't need no man is. Not a fucking asshole that feels superior yelling at people. Not an overweight woman that points a finger up in front of her face. Not someone with a double major in woman's studies and sociology. Someone that does what they want to do, despite, or perhaps because there are some hardships involved.

Hell, that's what an independent human being that don't need no man is.
>>
>>1054836
yup you are romanticizing it too much
>>
>>1054836

You're a girl, so your travel situation would probably be easier than a lot of other people.

I knew a girl who signed up to be an Au Pair in Spain. It took virtually no effort and she was living in a mansion, barely working and not paying for anything because guys were buying her drink and food everyday.

That's not even an exaggeration. Guys were really buying her drinks and food everyday.
>>
>>1057866
>buying her drinks
kek i bet they were full of ruffies
>>
>>1057867

Well she's still alive, so it can't have been that bad over there.

Besides, she was pretty easy. A big part of the reason she wanted to go to Spain was to fuck Spanish guys.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.