[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do some people give up their jobs to go backpacking?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: backpacking.jpg (1 MB, 1000x867) Image search: [Google]
backpacking.jpg
1 MB, 1000x867
If you give up a job, there is no guarantee that you will get it back. Today's job market is saturated with degree holders and the company will just hire someone else.
It's also expensive to go backpacking like this. Chances are these backpackers have to work in shitty jobs in coffee shops and retail. Surely their jobs back home are better? At least they can live with their parents/friends to cut expenses. Living on minimum wage is tough and living in a hostel full of strangers is also dangerous.
And what are they going to do when they return to their home country ?When a backpacker come back, a manager may frown upon how he gave up his job to go travelling as it's pretty unrealistic. What follows then? More backpacking? Working forever in retail? How can such people save enough money for retirement?
>>
My brother went backpacking from Texas to Canada going west to California, then moving up. He got his job back because he was a forklift driver for 4+ years and they needed more drivers so they gave him a tough time, called him a little bitch for leaving and coming back and resumes his life working at the company.
>>
>>1054866
It can be tough to find a job after leaving though. Unemployment rates are high.
>>
>>1054869
They are but if you are qualified enough in a certain field or fields then it won't be that hard may take a few months but eventually you can get a job. Unemployment rates are high for numerous amounts of reasons. You don't have to work for the same company for whatever your specialty is. My brother could've worked for many other warehouses but he chose the one he worked at before. If they didn't hire him, that sucks,but he could've checked around to other companies that probably are hiring people with his skills. The economy isn't based around 1 giant company there are many companies with many different opportunities. Unemployment is high but that could be for many reasons.
>>
File: 136165.jpg (72 KB, 628x622) Image search: [Google]
136165.jpg
72 KB, 628x622
>>1054862
If you have the experience in a certain field it's likely that you will find a job of similar responsibility and compensation after coming back from your travels. Also, people leave their jobs because of what you're saying here, do you want your whole life to be dictated by your job? At the end of it all, are you going to look fondly at the 40 years you were stuck in an office or the few years you got to do awesome shit?
>>
>>1054862

Trolling is a art
>>
>>1054885
How is this trolling? It is a legit question!
>>
>>1054862

>degree holders

Yeah, employers are just clamoring for those African Studies, Art, and Psychology degrees.
>>
Think about it this way: you only have one life in this world. How you want to spend it is completely up to you. If you want to work to have a secure life, maybe travel every now and then it's completely fine and you should do that. If you want to take a 2 year trek through some jungle that's completely fine too. Maybe you're gonna have a rough time when you come home, but if that's what you really want, you should still go for it. Life is short anon and putting of things to "later" or saying "maybe" mostly only means "no". If you have something you really want to do, Just do itâ„¢.
>>
>>1054862
I'm a qualified Maths teacher in the UK with a degree from a pretty good university. They're so desperate for teachers they'll take people who don't even have a degree, me taking a sabbatical would barely register. I'd guess I'd be out of a job for a couple of weeks maximum if I do ever do it, only thing stopping me is that I genuinely do love my job.
>>
>>1054862
Not sure if trolling, but if "job security" is the number one priority in your life, you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>1054862
>>1054862
Depends on your job and degree m8. I've got $70k saved up so I'll be taking a year off to travel when I graduate but since I'll be graduating with a medical degree and I've got a good CV with a few research publications I know I'll be able to drop straight back into my career whenever I want.
And desu senpai I plan on continually doing the same until I'm qualified enough to get paid providing medical support with scientific expeditions in Africa / the Himalayas / Micronesian islands or get a telehealth gig where I work for a Western salary while living in S. America or E. Europe. It'll take me a lot longer to reach make it through the gauntlet of post-grad training required in med and I'd never be able to go into something like surgery or neurology (their training programs are too long and demanding to allow extended - or pretty much any - time-off) but that's fine for me. I'd much rather go into something less well-paid but more flexible like family medicine - I'll be helping people either way and I don't enjoy the surg, neuro, etc enough give up traveling for them.

It's not just med though, it's the same for anyone with in-demand skills.
>>One of my best mates did a maths/sci degree but he's spent the last year getting paid a 90k (which isn't too bad considering he's 24) to crunch numbers for some agricultural firm. He's quit now (partly to to backpack but he's also talking about building a cabin on his property in the mountains).
>>My cousin and his wife quite their jobs as engineers to backpack aaorund the world - they were able to find work pretty much the instant they decided to settle down and he was even able to convince the firm hiring him to let him take a month paid leave BEFORE starting work.
>>One of my teachers in high-school did the same thing. It was arder for her to save the money but once she did, she knew it'd be pretty easy to find work once she got back home.
>>
>>1054964
this is b8
>>
>>1054862
wrong board. Autism and omega faggotery talk belongs to >>>/r9k/
>>
>>1054964
>scientific expeditions in the Himalayas / Micronesian islands

LOLOLOL. Confirmed for total troll / bait.
>>
>>1054862
Look up apprenticeships. They are competitive, but if you get one, you are guaranteed a good paying job and a marketable skill set. I got an apprenticeship learning to install and maintain fire suppression systems (fire sprinklers and fire hydrant mains, all sorts of shit). I can work anywhere in the USA or a few other countries and have a pension that will follow me, no matter who my employer is, so long as I stay in the union. If I wanted to take a few years off, I can come back and get "on the books" right away. Pretty cool work too desu
>>
>>1055071
>>1055088
Nah m8 - expedition medicine is a real thing, google it. You generally start with tour groups, usually going up Kilimanjaro and usually as a volunteer but there are opportunities to do it for a salary and to do it for research groups. When I first started looking into I found a few job postings supporting teams of marine biologists assessing reef health and turtle populations in remote Pacific islands. The salary for that one was $0 but you got room, board and as much diving as you cared to join. I also know one of the ED consultants at my hospital got paid a pretty decent salary providing medical support to some luxury tour group traveling through Mongolia and Central Asia.

It's not a big field but it's not bait
>>
>>1055146
yes it is bait
>>
Oh why you gotta say something like that man? I just quit my job in order to go backpacking
>>
>>1054878

Training someone is a large investment and they are not going to want to make it in someone that has a history of walking away from responsibility.
>>
I hate backpacking. What's the fucking sense in travelling like a faggot with few money and few clothes?

Certainly some experiences are worth it.. BUT... I always prefer to travel like a king. Spreading money like I'm rich... for 5 weeks a year. Then I go back being a slave for 100k a year.
>>
>>1055231
>I hate backpacking

Would suggest you don't backpack then, I guess... travel the way you enjoy traveling, as e all should. There is no One True Way.
>>
>>1055199
Most people of our generation will have something like 8-10 jobs in their life. Over a 40 year career that's a new job every 4-5 years or so. If you're not an idiot when you take your breaks from work and have a good way to cover up the job gaps you will find a job when you want to or need to work again.

I think this concept is very difficult to understand for some people, especially Americans. From what I've read, Americans really live to work, companies are legally not required to give you any vacation days and when they do people don't take them for various reasons. That mentality is seen in other countries as well, not to just point out America for this view, but it's the American-dream mentality that is really pushing this view. The way society is set up these days, you go to school from which you come out with 40-100k in debt, you get married, buy a house and two cars and become $400-800k in debt, have a kid and a dog which cost a lot these days, and then spend the rest of your life working towards paying it all off. This creates fear of losing your job so even if you're not satisfied with life you struggle through because of your obligations to your family and society in general. If you decide to live a different lifestyle you're seen as an outcast and often a failure.
>>
>>1054862
bcause depression
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.