[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
1,5 month in Peru
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: tumblr_nh5wqsPzXT1smx7x5o7_1280.jpg (160 KB, 990x500) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nh5wqsPzXT1smx7x5o7_1280.jpg
160 KB, 990x500
I will be visiting Peru from mid august until the end of september for a solo backpack trip. Will be my first time South America as well.

What are some good routes I should look into? Any highlights I should not miss at all?

Looking for all recommendations and suggestions!
>>
>>1137259
I recommend Chachapoyas and the Ballesta Islands. Trujillo is probably good too, but I had no time to go there. Cusco obviously.
>>
>>1137259
What are you into? culture, hiking, climbing nightlife, wildlife, food, ayahuasca?
Hablas espanol?
East side of the Andes is most beautiful IMO, highland jungle, not as hot as lowland jungle, full of interesting landscape, lots of water, loaded with wildlife. Tarapoto, Chachapoyas (visit Kuelap!), Oxapampa...

In the lowland jungle, you gotta move by boat or fly in. You mainly move on streams. There are people offering tours in bigger cities (Iquitos, Pucallpa) but you can also just book a riverboat to some place, have a very cheap "jungle boat cruise" and get into contact with locals that often will be very happy to show you interesting places.
One interesting route you could do is: Cajamarca -> Chachapoyas -> Tarapoto -> Yurimaguas -> 3 days riverboat to Iquitos -> then either 7 days riverboat to Pucallpa or take a plane to the next city.

Huaraz is a city in the high mountains with a lot of really beautiful landscape around. There is little vegetation, so you don't get lost that easily and can make hikes without a guide without excessive danger. The mountains go up to 6000m and are snow covered.
If you are there, visit Chavin de Huantar.

I've not been to Cusco and the sacred valley, so no idea about that.
>>
File: Ausangate1-840x560.jpg (151 KB, 840x560) Image search: [Google]
Ausangate1-840x560.jpg
151 KB, 840x560
>>1137323
Don´t go to Trujillo, except for the archaeological places is shit.
Iquitos or Arequipa are a much better option in my opinion.
Cuzco and machu picchu are definitely must see places.
Trekking in Ausangate, Huayhuash, or huascaran are fine options if you are into that.
>>
>>1137377
isnt this pic of a place in China?
>>
>>1137377
>Don´t go to Trujillo, except for the archaeological places is shit.
>Iquitos or Arequipa are a much better option in my opinion.
Chan Chan is huge though, surely that makes it worth it? Trujillo is also quite conveniently located. Arequipa is indeed nice.

>Cuzco and machu picchu are definitely must see places.
Cusco, yes. But I don't like getting ripped off.
>>
>>1137375
I'm a bit of everything, I think! The main reason why I wanted to go to Peru is that I wanted to travel somewhere different than SEA. Peru and Bolivia were recommended to me by a lot of people, as a recommendation for a first time South American country to go on my own.

Chachapoyas has been recommended to me too!

I was thinking of going from Lima to the southern west coast cities, then to Cusco, perhaps stay there for 2 weeks and explore the entire area, perhaps go to Bolivia, and then to Iquitos, if possible. Then explore the north a bit. I have 6 weeks, not sure if that is possible then.

>>1137377
Arequipo has been recommended to me as well! Thanks. I hope to pay the Rainbow Mountains a visit!
>>
>>1138099
>perhaps go to Bolivia
You won't regret going to La Paz and El Alto.
>>
>>1137392
Yep.
>>
My girlfriend and I are going to be in the sacred Vally and cusco during mid August. We are doing the lares trek to keep away from the tourists on the Inca trail. Any tips?
>>
>>1138104
How about the Uyuni salt flats?

Any remarks about safety in Peru and/or Bolivia? I am starting to improve my SPanish a bit here and there in order not to be some bitch ass gringo.
>>
>>1138212
Bolivia in general is worth visiting. Do see the salt flats, and check out Potosi and Sucre. Consider the Ruta del Che if he interests you.
>>
I've been to Cuzco and La Paz (definitely recommend going to bolivia as well) and have some information you might be able to use if youre into it:

In Cuzco I met a cool scottish dude who invited me to go hiking through an Inca valley with no tourists except for our group at all anywhere to be seen. It was one of the most beautiful landscapes and there are ruins and villages everywhere there. Its obviously not as special as Machu Pichu itself but makes up for it by not being infested with fat tourists.
In Cuzco either stay at the Wild Rover Bar and invite a bald scottsman maybe 40 for a drink, but I dont know if he still lives and works there.
Alternatively go directly to the "South American Explorers Club" in Cuzco (Ill try to find the adress for you. Know I have it somewhere) and ask what tours they have planned.

In Bolivia the absolute best thing was doing a one week trip going down Rio Verde in the Amazon on a raft made from palmtrees we foraged and truck tires. Probably the most intense shit I have done so far.
If youre interested in that, ask around for a place called "Shaul" in La Paz. I heard about them from other backpackers but they have no official website or anything. Not even a real sign that they are there other than their doorbell.
Unfortunately I lost the piece of paper that had the adress to them, but if you ask enough people you should find them.

Other than that you will figure everything out once youre there. Both countries as safe as far as I could tell but keep your stuff to yourself.
I did hitchhiking in both countries and had amazing adventures with that. Wait time was less than 30 minutes each but it can be slow. In bolivia I was on the road with a guy who manufactured Cocaine for 24 hours in a shitty truck through crappy roads in the Andes so that kind of stuff can happen there.
Overall Bolivia is my absolute favourite country and Im convinced you will have a blast in both nations.
>>
>>1137375
Climbing nightlife must be hella fun.
>>
>>1138280
Great info, man, thanks!

From what you're telling me, I should definitely try and fit Bolivia in there as well. However, I only have 6 weeks, and am wondering if that is all enough to explore both Peru and Bolivia. Taking into account I'd like just to wind down every now and then as well for a week or so.

Planning on taking both my hiking shoes and my running shoes, for the tougher/lighter treks.

Thank you very much!!
>>
Daily reminder that white people are dying out, the future belongs to blacks and Hispanics. Enjoy a 20% white USA and Europe by the year 2100.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.