[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Manchester (starting point), Leeds, York, Dunham, Newcastle,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7
File: fdsfsdfsdfsdfsdf.jpg (10 KB, 247x204) Image search: [Google]
fdsfsdfsdfsdfsdf.jpg
10 KB, 247x204
Manchester (starting point), Leeds, York, Dunham, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Hadrian's wall, Carlilse, Liverpool.

What am I missing? What should I take off?
>>
Some notes: I have 4 days, doing it by train, and about 700 to blow (tho I'll try to spend less)
>>
Drop Newcastle and Carlisle for starters. Spend more time in Edinburgh.
>>
>>1136570
Why Leeds? Why Carlisle? Why Liverpool? I can't think of anything touristy to do in these locations unless you're a huge Beatles fan or something. Go to a smaller town like Keswick if you want to check out the Lake District, although much of the Lake District is difficult to access via train. Blackpool maybe worth a visit instead of Liverpool?

I can't think of much to do in Newcastle unless you're a heavy drinker looking to get pissed on a pub crawl.

Check out the Beamish museum when you're near Durham. It's not quite as good as the Black Country museum because they don't have canals up there, but it's pretty much the same thing.
>>
File: romantent.jpg (71 KB, 960x716) Image search: [Google]
romantent.jpg
71 KB, 960x716
>>1136570

Just got back from the area a few weeks ago.

Ditto on the Beamish (spent a day there--it was awesome, but then I am a huge history/museumfag). I also did a whole day at the Roman Army Museum/Vindolanda (just about midpoint between Carlisle and Newcastle, about 2 miles from Hadrian's Wall). Loved Vindolanda, may go back as a two-week volunteer to participate in the ongoing digs.

Durham was nice--cathedral, 1916 Somme exhibit in the University Library (next to cathedral).

Pic related, it's a leather Roman Army tent recovered at Vindolanda.
>>
>>1136570

Also, don't miss the Imperial War Museum North and the People's History Museum, both in Manchester.
>>
>>1136570
I'd give Newcastle and Liverpool a miss. Maybe take one of your days and get the train from Manchester into Snowdonia (betws y coed train station) or the Pennines (glossop train station).

Depends if you like the outdoors though and is a bit dependent on the weather.
>>
Okay guys, dropping Leds, Carlilse, Newcastle, Liverpool.

Also change of plans: I'm starting from London, and will be getting a britrail pass so will be hopping around.

Thinking london bath, cotswolds, york, durham, edinburgh, sterling, back to manchester (where I'm staying). Anything to add to that?
>>
File: Sigh.jpg (28 KB, 400x363) Image search: [Google]
Sigh.jpg
28 KB, 400x363
“Mansfield! Pearl of the East Midlands! This is not a completely accurate description, of course — it was not round and shiny — but even its worst enemies would agree that if you had to liken Mansfield to anything, then it might as well be a piece of rubbish covered with the diseased secretions of a dying mollusc.”
>>
>>1136967

Looks decent. Sheffield is pretty nice if you can squeeze it in.
>>
>>1137003
>20% pakistani
I'll pass m8.

Good to know the rest of my list is alright tho
>>
Honestly don't understand why people come to UK.
It's awful and bleak looking.
>>
>>1137125
The north maybe
>>
>>1137141
London is dirty and ugly, plus wretches of mould, sewage and damp.

Southern UK is full of small isolated towns of racists.
>>
File: FromTowerBridge.jpg (77 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
FromTowerBridge.jpg
77 KB, 800x600
>>1137144
London isn't _that_ ugly.
>>
>>1137144
>Southern UK is full of small isolated towns of racists.
Yeah I wonder why >>1137117
>>
>>1137125
I guess it's just what you look for in a trip. If you have a keen interest in history, beer or engineering you will enjoy the UK. If you want to get roasted on a picturesque beach you won't.

Personally I like to go to places with good food and impressive buildings where your money goes far. But imagine the excitement you'd have visiting London in the 1860's to see the first ever underground subway system, or the first international commercial flights to Asia in the 1930's.
>>
>>1137125
I'm a huge anglophile.

>>1137144
>towns of racists
My kind of towns. Keep Britain British (which entails keeping it ethnically homogeneous as well). If I wanted to see Poles and Indians, I'd go to their respective countries (I've been to both, actually quite nice).

>>1137189
All three apply to me. The latter I care little for.
>>
>>1137144
>London is dirty and ugly
butthurt inbred northerner detected
>>
>>1137189
>roasted on a picturesque beach

should go to cornwall on a nice day
>>
>>1137275
Or Norfolk
>>
>>1137275
>should go to cornwall on a nice day
Seconded! Went to Newquay recently for a wedding. It was brilliant.
>>
Not doing Cornwall guys. I've decided to avoid the abundance of meh people that are sure to frequent those parts during the Summer.
>>
File: gfdgdfgdfgdfgdg.png (2 MB, 1412x2074) Image search: [Google]
gfdgdfgdfgdfgdg.png
2 MB, 1412x2074
UPDATE: London-Winchester-Oxford-York-Durham-Edinburgh-Ft Williams-Some town in the lake district-back to Manchester+Manchester outskirts
>>
File: 1458522999967.jpg (146 KB, 654x539) Image search: [Google]
1458522999967.jpg
146 KB, 654x539
>>1136714
Blackpool instead of Liverpool?
Are you retarded?
>>
File: Liverpool.jpg (4 MB, 3245x2162) Image search: [Google]
Liverpool.jpg
4 MB, 3245x2162
>>1137707
Big mistake missing out Liverpool mate, fantastic people, architecture, scenery (You can enjoy a beer at the dock with the Welsh mountains in the foreground) it's cheap, and very easy to get around

Also, one of the whitest cities in Britain with a very unique culture.
>>
>>1137707
Since you're going that far north I recommend you go just a bit further into the Isle of Skye. Some mesmerising scenery and you wouldn't want to miss it.
>>
>>1137742
Maybe I'll stop by for a day.

>>1137831
I've changed that portion of the trip. Probably just gonna to Sterling or some shit. Something close to Edinburgh.
>>
I think you need to plan your reasons for going to each, not just turn up and look at similar buildings. If you plan the main activities you'll actually be on time for something.
>>
>>1138170
Idk how to do that, anon. Even museums that shouldn't bore me usually do.

I find I just like taking in the scenery/atmosphere the most.
>>
>>1137001
Lay off the acid , meth or what ever it is that has given you this terrible idea.
>>
Someone who doesn't know how the British rail system works here.

I need to travel from Newcastle airport to Durham. Is it possible to buy _paper_ tickets from nearby machines (or humans) at rail/metro stations? Or am I forced to rely on electronic smartphone bullshit?
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.