[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bali / Indonesia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 8
File: teasers-large.jpg (219 KB, 800x336) Image search: [Google]
teasers-large.jpg
219 KB, 800x336
Hello! just booked flights to denpasar for a almost a month. What should i do there besides surfing and laying on the beach and drink?
Also general indonesia thread!
>>
>>1132811
some people take a motorbike around the island

you can see the rice terraces (that doesn' take long though)

the best thing about bali is the traditional architechture. even peasants live in these richly decortated pagan stone edifice buildings, so you can head into the central island to see that.

go to some of the temples.

a month might be a bit long for just bali, imo. depends on what you want. south kuta has pretty low waves. no one would wnat to surf those for a mnth straight, you might want to travel elsewhere.

there are plenty of other places you can take a 2 hour boat/plane ride to for a week or so if you're open to it. imo avoid java. it's (largely) culturally devoid unless you're willing to really slog through it. but if you go east or to borneo you might like it.
>>
>>1132811
You can do the typical Mount Batur early morning/sunrise "trek". It's pretty nice, but I'm sure there are some less frequented volcanoes to climb that will give you a nice view of the sunrise.

I'd recommend motorbike around the island. Bali is a beautiful island, and taking it easy by driving around is a lot of fun.

If you want something else to do you can ferry over to Lombok and kill some time over there (once again doing beaches, trails, and such) or relax for a few nights in the Gili Islands.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3680x2760) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3680x2760
Just got back from a month long trip to indonesia, stayed in bali for 1 week of the trip.
Definitely rent out a scooter for the time you are there. (Honda Beat or Scoopy if you can Vario's are bad)
Ride up to see NungNung waterfall, huge waterfall at the bottom of 500 stairs, surrounded by jungle and forrestry. Pic related
Kuta beach/ Kuta general if you are club scene and ready to see a bunch of rowdy australians.
Plenty of hindu temples to see, would reccomend Tanah Lot, Goa Gajah, Garuda Wisnu.
Ubud monkey forest is a great time. Monkeys everywhere and will climb on you if you buy a banana from the banana salespeople in the forest.
Lots of snorkeling/diving to do around the island. Sunken U.S.A.T ship to the north of the island that you can snorkel/dive, dank time.
You can find fast boats for 200,000 idr to the gili islands. Would recomend going to Gili Trawangan. Party island, no cops, magic mushrooms sold openly at the bars.
Climb mount agung if you are /fit/ otherwise i wouldn't attempt it. If you can manage, its an amazing view from above the clouds.
May i ask what country you're from?
>>
File: 05Down.jpg (65 KB, 512x341) Image search: [Google]
05Down.jpg
65 KB, 512x341
Pic is of Kuta beach...nice huh?
Personally I feel that most of bali is a tourist trap...but in saying that I have been living in Indonesia for nearly 5 years and my adventure here did start in bali.
As other posters have said kuta is great for a party if you can put up with drunken aussie bogans.
I recommend the north coast of Bali,amed is great ,especially if you are a scuba diver(it's very close to the shipwreck at tulumban mentioned by another poster)
Lovina is a fun place too.
But my favorite part of Bali is the Island of Nusa PenIda but don't expect too much nightlife etc.
I will have to disagree with the other poster that said Java is a cultural desert, I will let you make up your own mind-but I will say that I found the best place to live,being a balance of affordablility, culture,nightlife,ease of travel and the food! Omg the food!,
is in Jogyakarta.
I will be glad to answer any questions
>>
File: images.jpg (23 KB, 272x341) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
23 KB, 272x341
>>1133036
Where else in Indonesia did you get to?
I love it!
>>
File: 1456231733553.jpg (121 KB, 1328x747) Image search: [Google]
1456231733553.jpg
121 KB, 1328x747
Jimbaran beach seafood restaurant
>>
File: image.jpg (179 KB, 1706x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
179 KB, 1706x960
>>1133747
Well the whole trip started when i met the girl in the pic above on the internet and decided to go and meet her in person. We first met in CGK airport in Jakarta she flew in from Sumatra where she lives. Stayed 5 nights in Jakarta, Saw Ancol dreamland, Dufan, Grand Indonesia mall. General City activities.
Jakarta is crowded and dirty but i still really enjoyed it there.
Took a train across Java to the next destination, Yogyakarta.
As the other poster mentioned above, culture capital of indonesia for sure.
The train ride was incredible, Took 8 hours but the view was fantastic. Rice terraces mixed with mountains. You really get to see so much of rural indonesia and i loved it.
Now in Yogyakarta:
Saw Borobudur, the largest buddhist temple in the world.
Went to the base of Mt. Merapi, the most active volcano in indonesia.
Also went to the beach to the South of Yogyakarta, the name escapes me but the view does not. Pic related
Continue?
>>
>>1133763
Yes,please go on.
I have been to most of the places you mentioned.
A train ride in java is definitely an adventure...
Are you still seeing the girl?
I had a similar experience-I ended up getting married to her
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3680x2760) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3680x2760
>>1133766
Yeah i am still seeing the girl, i just got back from this trip like a week and a half ago. So yeah we are still going strong. I would get married to her, i'm planning another trip for december. Maybe take her to china or some other country she can easily get a visa for.
Exploring the city in yogyakarta was pretty interesting. Went to an underground mosque, went to malioborough mall, rode around in those taxis powered by a guy on a bicycle.
Only stayed there for 3 days, should have stayed longer but its whatever.
Then booked a flight to bali with air asia. Nice airline but after i landed i felt like i was getting sick and i ended up with the flu, could have been the airline, could have been anything though. Germs seem like they are everywhere in that country. So i was sick for 3 days when i did everything on bali in the above post.
She found an ad for a fast boat to gili trawangan for like 225,000 idr a person on instagram. Which is a lot less than what the people around bali will quote you for so we decided to take it and keep moving east.
Gili trawangan was amazing, went snorkeling for a day trip, the first night i went to New Rudy's bar and bought the shrooms. Went to the west side of the island and watched the sunset out of my mind on mushrooms. Rented out a bike also when i was tripping and rode around the island while the loud speakers on the island had people speaking in arabic for ramadon on them.
Went bar hopping a little bit the next night, this place is also riddled with aussie bro's who are only traveling for a new place to get drunk. I liked sama-sama reggae bar tho, 10/10 quality bar.
Took the ferry from gili trawangan to mainland lombok. Stayed in Mataram, rented out another honda beat and drove around the hilly and scenic landscape of lombok. Went to sedang gile and tiu kelep waterfalls. Went to kuta beach, and went to pink beach on the eastern side of the island. Not too much to do on lombok, felt a lot less touristy than bali. Cont.
>>
File: image.jpg (82 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82 KB, 960x540
>>1133883
Back to the harbor in sengigi beach on lombok to take fast boat to nusa lembongan. Lost my phone on nusa lembongan, which was terrible. But i have most of my pictures saved on different devices. The phone was kind of like my back up tho. But anyways awesome time back in hindu part of indonesia, went to dream beach, tried out surfing. I am just as shit at surfing as i always thought i'd be. Took the yellow bridge over to nusa ceningan. Did the "cliff jump" on ceningan from the restaurant on the western side of that island. Went ziplining also, was neat to see the crystal clear water from the air. Also went to the mangroves on lembongan. Rented out a kayak and paddled up the river. Would recommend kayak.
It was getting close to the end of the month now and i'd soon have to go back to my boring life in wisconsin. So i figured i'd drop her off in her hometown of bengkulu on sumatra before i left. Took a boat back to bali and flew from Dempasar to Jakarta, then Jakarta to Bengkulu. Not too much to see in Bengkulu, went to fort Marbourough. Old British fort stationed in the middle of town. Went to pantai panjang. Decent beach, water was not as clear as in bali but i really didn't mind. Still breathtaking views of the mountains surrounding bengkuku. Met her parents which was weird. She speaks english but they do not so she translated. They were very nice and i smoked a cigarette outside of the solaria with both of them. Took ancots all around bengkulu. Vans with seats in the back which were so much cheaper than taxis in bengkulu. No bluebird :(
Left Bengkulu and indonesia the day after meeting her parents with an new found love of travelling. This was my first trip out of the U.S and now i'm doing everything i can to save up more money and see more parts of the world. Questions for me anons? Pic related, green bowl beach, bali.
>>
>>1133746
Can you tell us your story, even if just in condensed form?

My friend is from Indonesia so I always enjoy stories from foreigner's perspectives. That and I plan to move there for a while. Terimah Kasi!
>>
>>1133949
Wait I think you posted it, sorry m8.
>>
>>1133949
Where are you planning on moving to?
>>
>>1133883
Taman Sari in Jogyakarta..
Did you get a guide/batik scammer?
Yeah the girls are the nicest I have met in se asia
Actually imo,the nicest in the world
>>
>>1133957
Manado, thats far off though.
>>
>>1133959
I completely agree, everyone in indonesia was overly friendly.
I never got scammed by the guides, or really any of the scams. It was nice to have her there to point out who's scamming and how much to pay for things. She helped with haggling too.
>>
>>1133763
Mind me asking where you met your girl on the internet? It would be nice to have a local companion show you around and get along.
>>
How easy is it to get a scooter to rent in Bali?

I don't have a driver's license, I only have a UK provisional license
>>
>>1133746
This pic looks shooped.
>>
>>1135279
Sorry.but it's not
http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2016/02/15/down-dumpster.html
Most beach side venues have to rake up the garage every day

After heavy rain it all the rubbish gets washed out of canals,rivers etc and ends up on the beach

http://www.changesinlongitude.com/kuta-beach-bali-trash/
>>
>>1135255
Easy to rent
Just remember to have some rupiah on hand to pay a "fine" to the polisi that pull you over
>>
>>1135185
Met her on a dating app called Scout. It was extremely useful having a companion who speaks the language along.
I kept telling myself that if i ended up getting cat fished i would just go out on my own. But It would have been so much more difficult. I would have managed it no doubt, but i highly recommend this way.
>>
>>1132811
>> fuck you and gtfo /trv/ honestly

'Going to x and besides y I'm looking for stuff to do'. Seriously?
>>
>>1136062
Thanks for the tip. You referring to Scout travel in the app? There seems to be a lot of fake profile there...
>>
>>1136146
There is a lot of fake profiles i won't lie. I would recommend just paying for tinder plus if you are serious about it. Fairly inexpensive and you'll find way more people on it.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.