[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My friend and I are heading to Taiwan next month. Looking to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: tw-flag-L.jpg (7 KB, 451x321) Image search: [Google]
tw-flag-L.jpg
7 KB, 451x321
My friend and I are heading to Taiwan next month. Looking to find some interesting or exciting to do that wouldn't be as obvious or just for particular recommendations from people who have been to Taiwan. We are particularly interested in trying anything new and unique, something I couldn't do anywhere else. We are also interested in history and seeing some of the nature outside of Taipei, but din't really know where specifically to go.
>>
>>1131632

In terms of history/culture there is the Palace Museum. It has many artifacts related to Taiwanese/Chinese history. Currently, I think they have some terracotta soldiers on loan from China. One of the things the Palace Museum is best known for is the Jade Cabbage. You will probably have to wait in line to see it. Aside from the Palace Museum there is the Chiang kai shek (not sure if that's how it's spelled) memorial hall. I don't really remember much about it since I haven't visited it for years. Basically it's a monument to the country's founder.

Some other popular tourist areas that I've visited are the Shilin night market, Taipei 101, and Xi Men Ding. I'm sure you can read about the three of these locations online, but of those three my favorite is the night market. It's just feels so alive and vibrant. It has street food, small clothing stores, and carnival type games.

Food in Taiwan is quite inexpensive and good (in my opinion). Some foods that might be considered Taiwan's specialties are beef noodle soup and stinky tofu. If you like Xiao Long Bao (Soup Dumplings I guess?) there's a restaurant that specializes in it called Din Tai Fung. They have a few locations but the easiest one to get to is the Taipei 101 location. Let me warn you ahead of time that if you arrive at the prime lunch/dinner hours you might have to wait 1-2 hours. When I went this time i got there at opening around 10:30 and didn't have to wait.

If you are into it there are tons of malls that you can go shopping at. I'd recommend the Miramar by Taipei 101 because there are a bunch of malls in a small area.

Around Taipei 101 there are some night clubs if you are interested in that sort of thing.

I can't really think of anything else to do right now.
Make sure to bring are an umbrella and mosquito medicine. It can rain quite often and suddenly in Taiwan and there are tons of mosquitoes.

Sorry for the wall of text.

Source: Used to go back to visit family
>>
File: GreenIsland_Sleeping_Beauty.jpg (539 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
GreenIsland_Sleeping_Beauty.jpg
539 KB, 1280x960
My fiancee and I will also will be traveling there for a few days next month... I'm planning to go to Green Island for at least two nights... We'd really like to make room for Jiufen but aren't sure how much time should be spent there. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

So far Itinerary looks like this:

Day one: Arrive Taoyuan Int. around 17:00
By some fucking miracle get transportation to my cheap hotel in Taipei and grab dinner at a night market.

Day two: Get to Shulin Train Station (New Taipei City) and take 4 hour train ride to Taitung.

Please tell me if there is anything interesting to do in Taitung or if we should try and spend the morning in Taipei~ A bunch of the parks look half decent

Day 3: Catch ferry to Green Island and spend night there. Do some swimming

Day 4: Full day and night on green island

Day 5: Spend the day on Green island. Head back to Taitung.... We are willing to take an afternoon train back up north.

Day 6
No plans

Day 7
No plans, Probably want to stay the night near Taoyuan Airport.

Day 8
Fly out of Taoyuan at 07:00
>>
Also some general questions about Taiwan...

What do cab fares around Taipei look like, how do they compare to other cities... Is there a high likelihood of getting ripped off as a foreigner?

How prevalent is English speaking and signage?

Are the trains usually on time or is it normal to expect hour delays?

Any foods that must not be missed?

Any cheap but unique or fun excursions around Taipei?

Anything I wouldn't realize is offensive? (I do my best to be polite)
>>
>>1133025

>food not to be missed

They love night markets, which seem to sell mostly food. Bourdain did an episode where he went to the biggest one. Shit looked off the chain. My gf is Taiwanese and confirms it to be legit good. It's worth a look because he checks out some other interesting food/cultural things:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aMt-UYogXFg
>>
>>1131632

The north has Jiufen, the oceanside town that Spirted Away was based on. Taipei has 101, and Elephant Mountain.

The east coast is a nature lovers paradise, you have Yilan / Hualien / Taidong. Yilan I've yet to go to, but have heard the scenery's good. Hualien has Taroko Gorge which is impressive. Taidong can take you to some of the outer islands, Green Island & Orchid Island.

Down south, you have Tainan, Kenting, and Kaohsiung.

Tainan is the old capital and the food capital of Taiwan. If you like history, go to Anping. For art, go to Qimei Museum, The Cultural Center or Xinmei rd. For eating as much good Asian food as you can, just walk around or go to Huayuan night market. You can also get to Penghu Island from Anping.

Kaohsiung is a lot like Tainan, but with more Western influence. Here you can find good European / American food. As for places to see, go to Pier 2, Xiziwan, Lotus Pond, Rueifang night market, Cijian Island, Xiaoliuqiu.

Kenting is where everybody goes to the beach.

As for the west, you have Alishan National Park if you like giant trees. Ershui / Jiji for cycling in the fields / mountains. Yuanlin for a good small town experience. Taichung for Indian food and the Luce Chapel. Miaoli for Global Tea Hut.

Lmk what you're in to and I can give you more specific suggestions
>>
>>1133025

Taipei has a good MRT system, so you won't really need a taxi unless you're out late, or going way out of the city.

In Taipei, English speaking is rather easy, and signage is rapidly catching up.

Highspeed trains will be on time. Regular / local trains may be off by a few minutes. An hour delay would mean there's a major problem somewhere.

Foodwise: Guabao 刈包 aka Taiwanese hamburgers , Zongzi 粽子 aka Rice Tamales , Tieguanyin tea 鐵觀音茶 and any of the teas in general, PIneapple cake 鳳梨酥 , Baozi 包子 aka Meat buns

As someone mentioned earlier, Jiufen is an hour train from Taipei.
>>
>>1133035
So on this note, in most places where the water is to be avoided so is the street food

People keep telling me to only drink bottled water in Taiwan but that street food is totally fine. That seems super contradictory and I don't want a repeat of my time in the Philippines.

What's the situation?
>>
>>1133335
I'm from Taiwan, grew up in Canada. As far as the street food goes, I've never had any problems. The only time I've gotten food poisoning here is from a tea-stained egg from a convenience store, so I think you'll be fine.
>>
>>1131632
One thing you can do near Taipeh is try the hot springs, theres two places that are (almost) reachable by metro from Taipeh, Beitou and Wulai you can either use hot springs in the open for free or get a room with a jacuzzi/hot tub with spring water
>>
>>1133335
Does anyone know about water?
>>
>>1135373
So, I think standard rules apply. Usually in any new country unless it's really first rate in cleanliness like Japan you don't want to go around chugging tap water. I've gotten mildly sick before (usually just intestinal diarrhea) switching through different parts of the US before but I expect there's no need to worry about ice cubes or buying only bottled water. Taiwan isn't like Southeast Asia or Central America, but I might think twice before grabbing tap water in more rural areas.
>>
Not op but going soon.

What temples are the best?
Longshan seems most popular, but how are the Xingtian, Bishan, Baoan, Confucius, and Guandu temples?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.