[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to avoid pickpockets, whitey price, general scams, etc? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: wallet.jpg (6 KB, 248x203) Image search: [Google]
wallet.jpg
6 KB, 248x203
How to avoid pickpockets, whitey price, general scams, etc? I plan on traveling in SEA and I don't want want to get got. Anyone got good tips and tricks?
>>
>>1134679

Be firm but nice to people on the streets, I never have a problem with street sellers and hustlers, a simple smile and "no thanks" without breaking your stride is enough, don't slow down or stop because they'll be all over you in an instant.

Thailand and Vietnam has western type stores like boots and supermarkets that you can buy most stuff from, again it's the man on the street where you'll get whitey price, kiosks and street vendors, having said that I would honestly say don't worry too much, if you gotta pay an extra 50 cents or something for some noodles then fuck it, the people selling it to you make a fraction of what the lowest income Americans do, is it really worth ruining a good time or starting a confrontation with someone who ears a few dollars a day just to save a few extra pennies?

As for actual crime like robbery and assault, stay out of dark alleyways at night, especially if alone, and follow all the general safety rules, don't get wasted, don't have cameras dangling off you, use the safes at hostels and guesthouses where provided, and when you enter a new town, make a mental note of the moan street and major landmarks so you can navigate easier without getting lost, which is where you may be at your most vulnerable.

Have fun, I've never been a victim of major crime and have travelled solo in 11 countries, don't let it worry you.
>>
>>1134679
In Thailand I find that if a Thai person comes up to you and starts talking in English, there is a good chance it's a scam. Sure, go with him and get laid, but he is going to get a huge commission that you are paying for.
Again in Thailand, if you count want to pay whitey prices, don't stay where all the other tourists are. Stay on KSR get Whitey prices. Be original.

Crime, I had a camera stolen in Indonesia because I am a fucking idiot. I was in a rough spot at the time and allowed myself to be separated from it and it was basically in the open waiting to be stolen, and it was. The good thing was I didn't care about the camera, and on the trip most likely would have never used it. What I learned though is don't trust anybody. They might be friendly with you but if you give them the opportunity they will take it. Also on the skytrain in Bangkok, I had a bag sliced open, but only the first of two layers, so they didn't get in where my wallet was. Now the bag is always in front of me on the train.
>>
>>1134680
>moan street
naughty naughty
>>
>>1134881
Where in Indonesia did you get the camera stolen anon?
>>
>>1134679
Have a local who you trust be with you or at least an experienced visitor/ex-pat
>>
>>1135158
On Java, between Surabaya and Tuban. I was on a cycling trip and bonked. Not exactly sure where it happened, but at a rest stop someone grabbed it out of a handlebar bag.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.