[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Central Europe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: budapest_by_night.jpg (301 KB, 1600x611) Image search: [Google]
budapest_by_night.jpg
301 KB, 1600x611
So I want to visit some city in central or eastern Europe and for now I'm wondering between Prague and Budapest. I'd love to hear some first-hand reviews and I'd be grateful if you can reccomend me some cheap and neat hotels in those towns.

Also any other suggestions for towns in the region with a lot of history that usually stay under the radar are welcomed.
>>
Never been to Budapest, but you can't go wrong with Prague. Fairly cheap and incredibly beautiful.

I'd also consider Krakow in Poland and Vienna in Austria. Ljubljana in Slovenia too. You'll be sure to have an amazing time in any of them. Krakow and Ljubljana are a little smaller than for example Vienna or Prague. Not sure how long your trip will be though.
>>
Been to both, and I greatly prefer Budapest, but they are kind of different types of capital cities. Budapest is all (slightly faded, but only slightly) imperial glory, elegance, high culture and charm. And the baths (especially Szecheny) are a must - at any time of year.

Prague is a bit more overtly "urban" and industrial and maybe a bit too tourist-orientated, although the historic parts have charm too. I suspect it is rather better to visit in summertime though - Charles Bridge and the area around it are at their best of a summer evening. It has better beer (of course), but the food is pretty terrible (which is absolutely not the case in Budapest).

Ljubljana I'd stick up for too - a bit sleepy, but very charming. As is Slovenia in general.
>>
OP here, I was also thinking about Ljubljana as well. I was there once but I was only passing on my way to Switzerland so I didn't get to see the city. But I loved the scenery in Slovenia. I also found this small hotel which is fairly cheap. Thanks for the answers.
>>
Prauge is worth a visit but i wouldnt go back, budapest on the other hand I would visit over and over again. I'm actually heading there today. I always stay at hostels as they are superb value for money in eastern europe, so i cant give any advice. Try Airbnb maybe

If you have time id recommend the balkans. Just Belgrade, Sarajevo and Zagreb if there isnt time for any smaller places.
>>
>>1051342
I live in Budapest and I love this city very much. I visited several capitals in Europe but for me Budapest is the most amazing.
If you still need some cheap hotel, the following is very nice (and cheap!): Urban Life Home Hostel Budapest

If you want a lot of history, the House of Terror Museum is worth a visit.
>>
I went to Budapest last August, however I was in a pretty expensive hotel by Budapest standards (InterContinental). I only stayed there for 2 days and a half and I regret it, should have added some extra few days.

I can also recommend Vienna however Vienna is much more expensive than Budapest. Also stayed in InterContinental. I stayed there for 8 days and pretty much did the major stuff. Would recommend, it's lovely.

I went to Bratislava (one hour train from Vienna) but it's skippable imo.

If you want to stay in an awesome city without spending much money, Budapest is beautiful. I want to go back there again.

Watch out in summer, it's deadly hot. When I was in Vienna and Budapest, it reached 38 celsius.
>>
>>1051715
>If you want a lot of history, the House of Terror Museum is worth a visit.
Indeed. It's a can't miss. The idea of making a musuem of this style was well thought out and done, and moving yet not unnerving the way a concentration camp would be, if that makes any sense. The industrial music and mod presentation of facts is not campy, but just grave enough. Well done indeed.
The Hospital in the Rock (under Buda) is a pretty unique museum too. A true time capsule, where the doors had been shut and all the original air sirens, officer uniforms and gear, and hospital items were walked away from. It's also a good evening activity when other places are closed.

Is there a reason you can't visit both OP? It's very popular for people to do Prague-Vienna-Budapest as a 3-stop trip. There's kind of hard to compare, and both have real highlights. Some random thoughts:
Prague was spared from war damage, and on so many levels, you feel the medieval facades and bridges in their original state. You can't get that in Vienna or Budapest, where so much reconstruction had to happen. The history is really there. But, so are the tourists, which doesn't matter at all, but you don't get immersion in Czech culture so much the majority feels foreign (kind of disneylandish), just their history is unbeatable. It only need 3 days and then move on to Budapest which needs 4+, I think, because it's so less compact and like two cities. The train is pretty quick between them.
Budapest seems less overrun with tourists since locals can and do live and work where the tourists dine, walk and tour. Tourists are there, but you do feel their culture as the main thing the whole time you are there. The food is no much different, with more great jewish choices, and more wine culture than beer culture, I'd say, and locals are crazy proud and friendly. What's the right time to go? As soon as possible, before the secret is out too long how wonderful it is.:P
>>
>>1051722 here again
Also I would like to add Petofi Literary museum. Truly an underrated gem in a beautiful area, it was empty and very interesting if you want to know more about Hungarian literature.
>>
>>1051734
I can't because I'm going to start university this summer, which means that I'll need money dor that and considering that I'm 18 living in east Europe means that I don't have much money to spare. I'd love to do a trip around pretty much all of Europe otherwise but as things stand that's what I can afford. Thanks for the answers though. I appreciate them.
>>
id also suggest Sarajevo.. Zagreb is nice as well.. if you go to sarajevo, you can take a bus to the croatian coastline.. beautiful
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.