[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
IRELAND TRAVELING/WORKING GENERAL
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: IrelandFlag.png (1 KB, 1000x500) Image search: [Google]
IrelandFlag.png
1 KB, 1000x500
Hello /trv/,

I recently got accepted for a working holiday visa for Ireland and am hoping to get a few questions answered before going. Keep in mind I have never been to Ireland, but have been dating an Irish girl (from Ireland) for over 4 years now.

What are the job prospects like in Cork City? I mean in an overall sense. I am willing to take on a low-level customer service job when I first arrive.

That being said does anyone have any idea of what the job prospects are like for chemical/industrial engineers in Cork?

Finally, what are some travel and cultural norms I should adjust to. I have been told that Irish are very friendly, family focused, and do love to drink as the stereotype says. I also have been told to be mindful of "knackers" and "travelers" as well.

Any and all information welcome.

Also Ireland Traveling/Living general.
>>
Where are you travelling from?

Gypos are normally fine just don't antagonise them (if you're from USA think of hillbillies).

Chemical engineering work you will prob find mostly around Dublin or up north, there is a large pharmecutical plant at the border in NI called Norbrook who are always looking people. (Although not sure how this will work with visas etc).

People are normally pretty alright if you're American try to keep your voice down (you guys talk really loud). Don't compare everything with the States unless asked a question and you should be fine as long as you're not a dick. ;-)
>>
>>1130514
There's a lot of environmental science all over (Shannon, for example) , pharmaceutical is more Galway/Dublin
>>
>>1130514
If you're American, don't shout stupid shit all of the time. Don't act Irish. Prepare for banter (basically insulting the arse off of each other) . Don't say "EYE-YURR-LAND"
>>
File: ire.jpg (37 KB, 620x465) Image search: [Google]
ire.jpg
37 KB, 620x465
>>1130514

A cautionary tale for you about an American girl who moved to Ireland but the fantasy didn't match her reality: http://www.xojane.com/relationships/i-moved-around-the-world-for-graduate-school-and-then-dropped-out

TL;DR - if you're in an way autistic or a bubble-wrapped SJW, Ireland isn't for you.
>>
>>1130514
You'll be fine in Cork. Cork is safe, and has lots of chemical industries that need workers. If you have foreign language skills (a Boston accent doesn't count) you're even more in luck.
>>
>>1130985
That's purely anecdotal and the same could be said for anywhere. Where is an autist supposed to flourish?

She has five years of depression, mentions an eating disorder four separate times. She's sad that a city is concrete and has graffiti. Then she's sad because she has to spend time alone in an apartment. What was expected?

A city is a city, the idea that moving will solve your problems is just a pipe dream. If you don't have friends and you can't make them, it's the same situation as before but now you don't know anyone

It's ridiculous to say to someone 'oh, think carefully, this person went and didn't like it!'
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.