[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
USA Road trip
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2
File: rtusalogo.png (22 KB, 278x194) Image search: [Google]
rtusalogo.png
22 KB, 278x194
Hey /trv/

My Girlfriend and I are planning a California to New York road trip for next year.

The plan is to buy some cheap and very American car in San Fransisco and then ship it back to Europe with us when we arrive in New York.

We're going to take our time and spend up to a month just driving all over the place and seeing all the sights, focusing mostly on the South.

Budget is roughly $20000 including car.

Does this sound like a good idea? is $20k enough money? what places should I definitely see or definitely avoid? I'd love comments thanks.
>>
5000 should cover your food, hotels and flight for a month by far. So yeah, 20000 is enough.
>>
Have you looked into the cost to ship a vehicle out of the states and licensing it in Europe? That aspect may be very expensive. Other than that, I think your plan is doable cost-wise, although it is difficult to get a vehicle insured in California if you don't have a US address. As long as you are 25 or older, renting is probably a better option. $1200 will get you a one way rental SF to NY.

Buy some camping gear when you get to SF and a National Park pass and you can have some incredible adventures. Too many places come to mind to list, but a month will go by really fast and you won't have much time left after doing the national parks. Budget an additional $100/day for most expenses and you should be good.
>>
I tried to use google maps to post a possible route but it wouldn't let me use all the places I wanted in one big route so I will just write them out.

>SF
>Redwood NP
>Yosemite
>Sequoia NP
>LA
>SD
>Grand Canyon
>Santa Fe, NM
>Dallas
>Houston
>New Orleans + Trips up the Mississippi river to see some of the old plantations like pic related as well as some small towns like Natchez
>There are some places in MS and AL like Oxford plus some old neat plantations worth seeing if you are still into it after Louisiana
>If you have time you can drive down to Miami and see the city + the everglades. Not much else in Florida worth seeing unless you want to go to Disneyland.
>Savannah, GA
>Charleston, SC plus some of the small towns around the coast of SC
>Wilmington, NC +if you have some extra time hit up the western part of the state from some Asheville and mountain action.
>Outer banks, NC
>Williamsburg, VA
>Richmond + some old towns like Fredricksburg and Harpers Ferry.
>D.C.
>Baltimore
>Philly
>NYC
I'm sure others will have different suggestions. There will be plenty of side trips in these places as well that I missed.
>>
>>1128506

I see, cheaper than I expected, that's cool.

>>1128600

Thanks for the advice :)

We're at a pretty early stage with the planning, we've decided to do this trip but not too many practicalities have come into the discussion.

We just thought that after a month on the road we will have bonded with our car and wanted to keep it, this may well end up being unrealistic, and certainly renting is probably the safest smartest option.

>>1128741
Those are some great suggestions you've made thanks!, I'm definitely going to do research into all of them, but that sounds like an amazing journey.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.