[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is American Airlines safe? I want to travel by Air Canada because
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1465841640556.png (334 KB, 551x550) Image search: [Google]
1465841640556.png
334 KB, 551x550
Is American Airlines safe?

I want to travel by Air Canada because of it's safety ratings but a ticket to Tokyo will cost me $1,500 while a ticket with American Airlines will cost me $1,200.

Should I go with AA even though it's not as safe as AC?
>>
When was the last time an airliner from a major North American carrier went down?

I would feel pretty safe saving the three hundred bucks.
>>
Safety is never a concern when you're flying an airlines anywhere in the developed world. Your chances of getting into an accident are near zero.

AA costs less because it's more shitty. AC isn't great but it's a bit more comfy.
>>
>>1138786
>>1138822
Both of these are reassuring. thanks
>>
>>1138822
Air Canada is shit
American Airlines is even more shit
Both will pour you a third a can of pop and get butthurt when you ask for a full can
Both have overweight stewardesses
Both have those shitty glitchy TVs that take 5 minutes to navigate between the 5 or 6 movies they have
Only difference is American Airlines is more likely to ground the plane and arrest someone over something trivial
>>
>>1138784

AA still does most of its maintenance within the USA--but I suggest travellers read this article in Vanity Fair, outlining how many US discount carriers are sending their fleet for offshore cheap maintenance.

"The work is labor-intensive and complicated, and the technical manuals are written in English, the language of international aviation. According to regulations, in order to receive F.A.A. certification as a mechanic, a worker needs to be able to “read, speak, write, and comprehend spoken English.” Most of the mechanics in El Salvador and some other developing countries who take apart the big jets and then put them back together are unable to meet this standard. At Aeroman’s El Salvador facility, only one mechanic out of eight is F.A.A.-certified. At a major overhaul base used by United Airlines in China, the ratio is one F.A.A.-certified mechanic for every 31 non-certified mechanics."
>>
>>1138837

I will note that Air Canada still does its maintenance in Canada, with fully licenced aeromechanics. Also, having flown in the USA a lot in the last two years, my opinion of Air Canada has gone waaayyyy up. Never had so many delays for technical problems as I had on US carriers. On one flight I took, a United pilot refused to board the a/c, since it had the wrong tail number. Sloppy.
>>
>>1138838

Duh. Linky:

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2015/11/airplane-maintenance-disturbing-truth
>>
>>1138842
>http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2015/11/airplane-maintenance-disturbing-truth
Quite an alarmist article, and I do think China might be crap for both pilots and repairs, but the overall tone of the article is self-centered. There's no reason an airline who has every reason to keep a plane from falling out of the sky, and a skilled pilot who is doing safety checks and who's life depends on that aren't issuing oversight of their own. The FAA isn't the end all be all in the airline world, as they once were, and overhaul has ALWAYS been done overseas, especially interiors, such as described in El Salvador. Pan Am, and National before them, put in their luxe corinthian leather interiors where the leather was most skillfully tanned and installed decades ago. The largest carriers to the Americas, moving freight, the past 30 years? They never did their repairs inside of Miami unless it was an emergency repair. Do they speak English in the US anymore? Not really. I'm quite alright if my mechanic on my automobile hablas espanol, and it has nothing to do with his intelligence. The article wasn't fully researched and ON PURPOSE omitted other major brands, not to mention the perceived quality of the specific latin american repair hubs. The author of the article loved to bash a 8:1 skilled laborer vs 30:1 but what is bringing planes down more than maintenance is unskilled pilots. Look to asia again for that worry. Most of you have no idea who is in the cockpit your airline if you aren't flying a north american legacy airline with the most competitive salaries in the world. Air Canada counts, as does American. Delta pays the most of all, and maybe Emirates and the like will throw a token qualified pilot up there for big bucks, and then saddle him with some sheik's car salesman nephew with 900 hours in a simulator and the IQ of a video gamer.
>>
If an airline wasn't 'safe' it wouldn't be in business
>>
Flying with China Southern between Aus, China and S Korea soon. How fucked am I for being a poor cunt?
>>
>>1138784
AA is cheaper not because of safety but because it's ghetto.. flew AA to BKK, saved a few bucks.. regretted it.. have had far to many issues with AA, but if your a skin flint.. go for it
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.