[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A job that complements travelling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: index.jpg (9 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
9 KB, 275x183
Hi, so basically I am sick of life and I'm wondering how realistic and sustainable it is to be one of these people who work all over the globe and can support themselves AND not live like some hippie backpacker for the rest of their lives. So I don't mean being an au pair or something.

Regarding my education I have a BA degree in pol sci (ja, I know it's shit), started MA at Zurich University but quit. I'm currently applying for apprenticeships but I don't really care about any real career. I'm not passionate being an electrician, dental assistant, poly mechanic or anything like that (these being typical apprenticeships in Switzerland).

I have a CELTA (intended to go do the teaching thing but decided nah, too introverted).
I googled this subject but a lot of dubious websites promising a lot, usually for payments for some courses, came up. Sounds kind of dodgy.

I'm in my late 20s, English is my native language, I speak acceptable German, have Swiss passport, have enough money that I can pay for any courses that will move me to this goal of mine.

So to use /pol/ language, can someone redpill me on doing jobs that allow one to be nomadic and live with some dignity?
>>
I'm looking for it, myself and it's hard to find. You can bartend for decent money in most first world countries but you can't do that forever.

Luckily, you're in the best situation. You can move around in Europe. But I think your best bet as someone who lives in one of the wealthiest countries in the world is to find something seasonal and leave for most of the year.

Your money is worth more everywhere else outside of Switzerland. Work extra hard for a portion of the year so you can relax for the other portion.

You can live nomadically and you'll always be fine/break even but it depends if that's okay with you. After 4 years, I'm tired of making lots of money and spending it all. I want to be able to save, too.
>>
Being a translator would be easy solution, if you can find company that lets you work remote. Thankfully that's the case for most smaller ones, but good luck getting something like entry level Japanese translating job, tons of people are preying for those.
Any other kind of computer related work would also work. For example, if you're graphic designer and can get your work done with single screen without a tablet/or can carry one around it'd also work.
For this stuff only requirement would be a laptop, and planning your travelling around somewhat stable internet connection.
>>
>>1138082
Bruh we get this thread like every week
A lot of folks work a couple years, then take a year off or so to travel, and go find another job somewhere else, rinse and repeat.
You are blessed as a native English speaker, you could teach all over SEA or central/ south America, maybe even Africa or eastern Europe.
Many people here have work online doing some kind of computer shit, programming or whatever and can work anywhere they get wi-fi.

Sadly with the attitude you seem to have you will never be a realtraveler
>>
you can be a dog sitter!
>>
>>1138084
>Work extra hard for a portion of the year so you can relax for the other portion.
Not a bad notion. I just don't like the society here. I'm Swiss legally but didn't grow up here.

What would be "something seasonal"?

>>1138095
>Bruh we get this thread like every week
Sorry, I've never been on /trv/ before. Anyway, the teaching thing would be a last resort. I just became very introverted in the last few years. I know my attitude is bad.
In my logic I was thinking of something that I could do that would take advantage of exchange rates. By that I mean do work for a company/clients in US/EU who would pay in dollar/euro/franc/pound and be living somewhere where I could benefit greatly from the conversion (EG, Spain, Philippines). Is this realistic/possible or am I being stupid?
>>
>>1138082
My position is similar to yours brother: practically useless bachelor's degree with a teaching certificate, looking for work to sustain indefinite travel. One option I've come across is teaching English online which can earn you a significant sum while it demands only a few hours of you where you are in a place with wifi and a laptop. Personally, I loath to speak to a webcam and I'd feel embarrassed to do it, but it is an option.

Desperation has led me to resign myself to teaching in China so I might be going there come September. I have taught before and although it might sound ridiculous, take my word on it that introversion is a defense construct of the mind: once you stand before a class full of kids, all that will go out of the window and you will love the interaction. This is from my experience and the numerous teachers I have talked to. The way you'll be treated (I only have experience in Asia so I cannot know what it would be like in some other areas) will inject you with a confidence you would have a difficult time imagining now.

Seasonal work may be nice, but for me, the looming idea of having to return to a certain job after an X period of time is repulsive. If you can tolerate it, maybe that's a better route: I've talked to people who worked in hotels, ski resorts, etc.

I will keep my eyes on this thread for ideas that can spare me from having to live in fucking China for a year.
>>
>>1138118
Fellow introvert here - while I will always appreciate my private time, my happiest experiences have been when I forced myself to do things that I knew would make me uncomfortable for a little bit. It's an old cliché, but life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
>>
>>1138118
I've met Swiss immigrants (legally Swiss but still ostracized) who do construction, work in a factory, bartend. All of them made decent money (compared to everywhere else in the world). The thing is that if your job is legal over there, you're making decent money. If you're fairly intelligent/resourceful, you can make great money. Contractual work is great because you leave when the contract is done and when people ask why there's a gap in your resume say that you were waiting on the right gig to start working again and it was never an issue because you're good at managing money.

It really depends what lifestyle you want. The one guy who worked in construction lived in a commune for most of the year and only went back to Switzerland for 3-4 months to save money to leave again. I don't like to budget when I travel so I generally do 80 hour weeks for 3-6 months a year and then leave for until it runs out. Even in Toronto, where traveling isn't really valued, the interview just ends up being the person asking me questions about my lifestyle because they're so fascinated. The only thing is that you have to act like you got it out of your system so they don't think you'll up and leave in 6 months after they've invested in you (even if you plan to do that).
>>
>>1138404
That makes sense. That, and what the other guy said about just working hard and then leaving to live elsewhere until I need money again.

I was told today that I am too quick to dismiss this country and that I will regret not taking advantage. Perhaps that's true. I will seriously reconsider my opinions now.

And yeah, even if you are doing a menial job like construction you will earn decently. Even a painter or guy that puts up brick walls can get CHF 5000 if he gets the right job.
>>
>>1138082
Pretty much any job where you sit at a computer can be performed from "home." Find a more progressive employer in your field who encourages working from home. It might take a few years to build trust, but eventually your employer won't know whether you are at your home office or in a denmark cafe.
>>
Do cam shows for gay men. You can make pretty good money (the more kinky the better) and can work anywhere with a reasonable wifi connection. You may discover somethings about yourself as well
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.