[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /trv/ American searching American cities: I'm searching
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: 128074177.jpg (171 KB, 508x337) Image search: [Google]
128074177.jpg
171 KB, 508x337
Hi /trv/

American searching American cities: I'm searching for programming jobs right now. There's plenty, but I want to pick a city where I can live within a 25 minute walk of my job and a 5-10 minute walk of a grocery store. Also affordable, doesn't have to be particularly beautiful. What cities would be good?

I had an internship in Detroit that fit these criteria and loved it, but I'd rather not go back for personal reasons. Also, Chicago seems to fit the criteria but I'm from the area and wanted to try living somewhere new.
>>
Boston, Philadelphia, Portland, NYC, DC, SF, and Chicago are probably your only options.
>>
Raleigh or Charlotte NC might be good for you. Charlotte has a bit of a sprawl but you would probably find a nice wlalkable neighborhood with everything you need. just steer clear of the burbs.
>>
File: Denver skyline.jpg (952 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
Denver skyline.jpg
952 KB, 1600x1067
Denver fits all of these and plenty of tech jobs.
Added bonus of amazing outdoor activities year round
>>
Have you looked into New Mexico City?
>>
>>1137282
Not necessarily, many medium/small sized cities are good options. But it seems that OP is looking for big cities, so you might be right.
>>
>>1137283
>trying to push unmarketable garbage cities

Nobody should bother going there unless they are in the military.
>>
Questions

1) What kind of programming? What's your background? Do you want to work in a small web dev shop or Big 4 or a startup or what?
2) What kind of pay do you want? How much are you willing to spend monthly?

I really liked Seattle. I was able to walk to my work near Pike's. My rent was around $1k/month though. You may also try Austin or Dallas-area, Portland, Oakland/Berkeley. If you give more details on your background it'll be easier.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.