[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone ever traveled by cargo ship? What was it like? When
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
Has anyone ever traveled by cargo ship?

What was it like?

When you arrived how did you register your visa with the country you were visiting?
(i'm assuming a cargo port is not like an airport with officials standing around waiting to take your visa)
>>
>>1137130
>Has anyone ever traveled by cargo ship?
Nobody has ever done this. Ever. How clever you are to have thought it up, all by yourself!

>When you arrived how did you register your visa with the country you were visiting?
>register your visa

This thread again. Has it already been 2 weeks since the last one?
>>
File: 1426556397414.jpg (84 KB, 803x790) Image search: [Google]
1426556397414.jpg
84 KB, 803x790
>>1137132
Why the animosity anon?

I'm asking about travel on /trv/.
>>
File: woooooo.jpg (27 KB, 756x564) Image search: [Google]
woooooo.jpg
27 KB, 756x564
>>1137134

>>1135926
>>
File: tfw.gif (2 MB, 350x197) Image search: [Google]
tfw.gif
2 MB, 350x197
>>1137137
I'm not asking about how to travel for free or how to get laid at sea.

I expect to be paying more for this trip then if I flew or sailed on a cruse ship. I know its a rough journey with no luxuries and they sail directly through storms.

I want the experience of traveling on a cargo ship and I thought there would be more people here who had similar desires when it comes to traveling.
>>
>>1137148
http://www.transitionsabroad.com/listings/travel/articles/travel-by-cargo-ship-around-the-world.shtml
http://cargoshipvoyages.com/

Now GTFO
>>
>>1137150
I know how to google. I was hoping someone who already did it had a story to share or something.

Why is it so bad to want to talk about traveling here?
>>
>>1137132
>>1137137
>>1137150
what is your problem man

OP is on topic, if you want to flame go to /b/
>>
>>1137152
Too many people want either to stow away, or expect a casual pick-up job as a crew member. The well has been poisoned.

And on the passport/visa issue, of course an international port of entry has customs and immigration officials Depending on the port, the captain may have to visit them at their office, or they may come to visit the ship. At intermediate stops, the captain can handle your passport just like he handles the passports of the crew. At the final stop, you may have to visit the office yourself. Or so I read.
>>
>>1137172
Oh I see. Thanks for answering my question.
>>
My question is: has anyone *worked* on cargo ships? How do I do I, as an American, do it? Do I have to be an AB? Is going to a union hall every day the only route?
>>
>>1137152
>>1137181

This fucking thread. Every fucking time, the same thing over and over and over. It's the zombie thread. The thread that would not die. Cut off its head, shoot it with a silver bullet, bury it at a crossroads at dawn, it doesn't matter. The same exact shit gets posted again a few days later,
>>
>>1137191
maybe just go outside then anon?
>>
Why not applying for a cruise ship job then, anon?
>>
>>1137181
This has also been answered a million times here.
You need certificates and training even for the basic jobs. It takes a couple of months. No captain is going to take a random stranger aboard and hiring is generally not up to him.

t. cargo ship officer
>>
>>1137233
Time for a sticky methinks
Although I'd hate for the /fit/
>R E A D S T I C K Y
meme to spread
>>
File: 1437456830241.png (102 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1437456830241.png
102 KB, 250x250
OK OP, since everyone else is being salty as fuck, I'll chime in. I have a good friend that works in the merchant marine. First of all, are you interested in either:

A) buying passage for a one time very expensive experience? If so there are websites that can facilitate this. It's slow, expensive, and the crew members are probably not going to be your budy since you are getting in their way and adding to their workload (I.e. some OS is going to have to wait on you, and clean your room when he isn't needlegunning the deck)

B) Do you want to be said OS, and work on ships a few years for the keks. I assume the latter is less likely so I'll only elaborate if you ask me to.
>>
ITT: faggots that think a question should never be asked again.
Holy fucking shit, why does /trv/ even exist then, why the fuck are you even here? Tell me, WHAT is "original" in your eyes.

>The whole world has been traveled already, no need to go anywhere, just stay where you are, nothing to see
fucking kys

You people make me fucking rage
>>
>>1138248
That guy above is being quite a faggot. But this question does get asked way to much. OP isn't even asking a specific question that can't easily be googled. Granted he isn't trying to stowaway.

>Anybody traveled by train? How was it?
>>
>>1138246
Not OP, but I'm interested in working on ships.
>>
>>1138281
If only there was a thread about this.
Oh, wait!
>>1135819
>>
>>1138282
He was talking about merchant marine. I'm currently applying for a cruise ship job. I live in Brazil and couldn't find anything about it online (in portuguese).
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.