[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am a student taking a summer course in France right now. Before
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: images.jpg (5 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5 KB, 224x225
I am a student taking a summer course in France right now. Before I came here, I was expecting to stay with a host family who will show you around town based on my previous experiences. My current host family is not into showing us around town. The food they cook for us tend to be the ones easiest to prepare and I cannot help but think that living with this French family does notbreslly allow me to gain an insight into French culture.

I was hoping to learn more about French culture and I don't think will happen by staying with this host family. This host family accepts a lot of kids from around the world at one time and I can't help but notice how people tend to befriend other people who speak the same language as them. Everyone is fluent in different languages. This disappoints me as I was hoping to befriend everyone not where as soon as I speak one language someone will always be excluded.
How to feel better about this?
>>
Are you 15? Get your shit together and go discover France by yourself
>>
Also in general people will tend to stick together with others of their own nationality, specially people from the Mediterranean countries, you don't have hang out with your nationals.. I'm assuming you're a native English speaker, which I always thought it's the worst for learning other languages through immersion.. If you wanna learn French and discover the French culture just go by yourself, maybe one of your friends want to join you, so how I said unless you're 15 you better get your shit together.
Where are you in France op?
>>
>>1136826
I am 20. We are in a small city and there isnt much to see here
>>1136828
I am Chinese-American and I speak both Chiense fluently. There are Chinese and English speaking kids at our host family along with some Europeans who only speak French and their local language. When I speak Chinese, the English speakers will be excluded and when I speak English, the Chinese guy doing his degree in France will be excluded. So annoying
>>
>>1136834
So you're grown enough to discover France by yourself. In which region??
On the other hand, English is an international language so I guess it's the Chinese guys fault not to speak English.
>>
>>1136834
>some Europeans who only speak French and their local language
I can't imagine that there are young people in Europe who don't speak English.
Also, why don't you just go and discover the country by yourself?
>>
>>1136840
Agen
There are also two Spanish kids here and they don't really speak English
I don't know what language to speak at the dining table. I speak some French but it is not good enough for a "normal" conversation.
>>
>>1136842
I am a girl so I think this is a bit risky? Plus there don't much to discover in our region. Our teacher will take us on guided tours around the area in the future so we will see pretty much everything here
>>
>>1136844
If your goal is to get familiar with the local culture, I'm sure there is something you can do. Go to a bar or café or whatever. Put yourself in situations where you can converse with locals, or something.
I'm very antisocial, though, so I have no experience with this sort of thing.
>>
>>1136846
Hostels are good for these sorts of stuff. At my host family? Not really. My roommate doesn't seem interested in joining activities with them
Nobody else seems to be interested to going to bars and I don't want to go to a bar by myself. I am a girl who gets drunk easily
>>
>>1136844
Please fuck stop with "I'm a girl meme" Europe is 100% safe for girls ffs you're an adult you have common sense, use it!
If you wanna know the French culture, you can just travel around (toulouse or Bordeaux) with couchsurfing, it will allow you to meet locals and the local culture maybe there is in your region some couchsurfing event such as language exchange. Just check it
>>
Maybe you can use interpals as well..however take care with the /int/ and /r9k/ creeps
>>
>>1136850
My college paid for my host family fee - I ain't gonna leave them
>>1136851
Why is everyone suggesting meeting someone online? Are there other alternatives?
>>
You should have picked hostels instead
>>
>>1136854
Nothing happens for leaving your family for a couple weekends a month.
Because meeting someone online is always easier
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.