[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the 10 best US states to visit? Planning a road trip
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5
File: image.png (61 KB, 960x593) Image search: [Google]
image.png
61 KB, 960x593
What are the 10 best US states to visit? Planning a road trip for next summer and seeing what I can do
>>
Cali, Oregon, Washington, Montana, Wyoming, Maine, DC, North Carolina, Vermont, Texas
>>
I tend to preference New England quite a bit so some may argue. A list on the top 10 best states will also change depending on your interests and whether you want to see cities and urban areas or more remote and natural areas.

>Massachusetts
>Vermont
>New Hampshire
>Maine
>New York
>California
>Utah
>Washington
>Virginia
>North Carolina
>>
>>1135775
It's depending on what the rest of my friends want to go. We are planning on buying a used school bus to avoid hotel costs and are looking at where we could visit.

I for one am more preferable towards cities, but also wouldn't mind seeing the Pacific Northwest and some beaches, so I'm still going through on what I can do
>>
>>1135771
Deoends what you want.

Geographically diverse list:
Washington, California, New Mexico, Florida, North Carolina, Maine, New York, Michigan, South Dakota, Colorado
>>
File: West Coast Trip.png (360 KB, 770x624) Image search: [Google]
West Coast Trip.png
360 KB, 770x624
This is the road trip I'm planning OP. Was going to post a thread about it but this seems like a good place to post.

My GF and I are heading up the coast from Phoenix to Seattle, and back down through Montana/Wyoming to Denver and back through Utah and the Grand Canyon to get home.

We get to see Several National Parks, Including Big Sur, The Redwoods, Crater Lake, Olympia, Yellowstone, RedRocks, Moab, Zion and the Grand Canyon. We also get to see World Class Cities along the way, Like San Francisco, Seattle and Denver. Plus Legal Weed Errrry where.

IMO, this is the best road trip you can take in the US.

You guys think it's too ambitious for 4 weeks? Me and my GF are checking out Graduate Schools and have about 3k each.
>>
>>1135803
One big thing I notice is you're missing Yosemite National Park in California. Youll seriously be missing out if you dont go there.
>>
>>1135771
You generally want to avoid anything in the southeast (loosely: from KY/VA south to the FL panhandle).

The terrain is about as average as you can imagine, the climate blows, there aren't a lot of worthwhile population centers (or at least the kind that are worthwhile on a road trip)

KY has Mammoth Cave, the largest cave on the planet, so that's cool, but the interstate leading their runs perpendicular to any cross-country route you'd probably be on, which sucks.
>>
>>1135803
OP here, that seems like a great roadtrip! We'd be starting off in Texas and some of my friends have already started telling me which states they want to visit (Colorado, Washington, etc.) it's still a work in progress and some other people want to see the other side of the US like the East coast and such but I feel like we are getting some good ideas out
>>
>North Dakota
>Idaho
>Wyoming
>Kansas
>New Jersey
>South Dakota
>Nevada
>Iowa
>Missouri
>Arkansas
>>
>>1135803
If you want to add an extra day or two swing out to western South Dakota after you hit yellowstone and do the badlands/black hills. It's worth it.
>>
>>1135868
>the south is the worst
>not the midwest
shit taste
>>
new orleans!!!
>>
>>1135895
You want him to see America's highway system and not much else? Good lord what a terrible list, clearly written by someone from middle america who cant see through his pride.
>>
>>1135970
>implying youve ever been here

Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota and South Dakota take a giant shit on your disgusting redneck swamp.
>>
>>1135796
>>1136123

Michigan sucks a big dick unless you drive five or six hours to the UP.

May as well just go to Colorado and see some real mountains.

t. Mid-Michifag
>>
>>1135771
>What are the 10 best US states to visit? Planning a road trip for next summer and seeing what I can do
For the heat of summer, you will want to stay in a cooler clime, like mountain driving. I'd vote mid-Atlantic through New England or a Pacific Northwest trip. Alaska is an amazing road trip for 1-2 weeks.

>>1135780
>We are planning on buying a used school bus
ROFL. Why not buy a used camper/RV? Talk about stupid.
>>
>>1136125
The entire lake michigan coast is covered in beautiful sand dunes, and the UP is part of Michigan whether you feel like driving there or not.
>>
>>1136153

>going somewhere to see sand dunes
>>
>>1136129
The used bus was just a plan cause one of the girls saw a pic of it in Instagram of a bus with like bed matresses and everyone seemed to have liked the idea. There's gonna be 8 of us so I don't know if there would be a used RV with enough space for all of us to sleep in or stay in.

Plus the buses are only $700.
>>
>>1136157
If youre going to pretend this isnt a worthy example of the diversity of america's landscape just because ">muh mountains are better," then youre just an ignorant retard.

A top ten list of states can have plenty of rocky mountain and west coast states without neglecting the better examples of midwest and east coast regions.
>>
>>1135773
>>1135775
>>1135796
seconding these lists. I live in Washington, have been to Oregon several times, and just returned from a Utah/Arizona road trip

I definitely recommend all states in or west of the Rockies. Each state has something unique to see--or in the case of Utah, many unique things to see.

I don't recommend >>1135803 's plan. It appears to be entirely on the interstate. Unless you want to cram as much as humanly possible in a short amount of time, take some scenic highways. Instead of I-5 from Portland to Medford, take Highway 101 on the coast.

You said you plan on staying in a used bus. How will you navigate in cities? Where will you park to camp? Will you bring other transportation?

tl;dr: Western US is good stuff. Interstates get you places, highways get you views. Find things to do on your trip because you'll hate your car. Most importantly, plan ahead and have fun!
>>
>>1136163
It would be park to camp, the main reason to get that bus would be to not have to pay hotel/motel costs when staying somewhere for the night. As stated in >>1136161 it was mainly because someone saw the idea on Instagram and liked it, I'm still abit skeptical on it but it could work, though I'm not so sure
>>
anything between New England and West coast safe if you're not white?
>>
>>1136226
Yeah but skip the south, we literally kill non-whites on sight. The midwest might put you on trial for not being white, it's a gamble.
>>
>>1136226
>>1136513
Not sure which of you is the troll.
>>
File: Blank_map_of_the_United_States.png (56 KB, 1512x1116) Image search: [Google]
Blank_map_of_the_United_States.png
56 KB, 1512x1116
>>
>>1136123
The beautiful southern coastlines, mountains in north carolina/tenessee and the vibrant fun cities like new orleans blow your frozen, unlivable flyover hell-holes the fuck out.
>>
>>1136123
lmao the midwest is the most depressing fucking place ive never been to at least the south has that southern hospitality
t. new yorker
>>
>>1136663
Surely there's beatiful sights in the Appalachians?
>>
It depends what you're into OP, and on the time of year. It's also fucking dumb to pick a bunch of states nowhere near each other.
My personal faves are Norcal (not much experience with SoCal but FUCK central coast and valley regions) Oregon, Washington, New Mexico, Colorado and they are my favorites because they are objectively the best. I found people in these states to be very receptive to travelers and also have a lot of natural beauty.
Also Florida is trash imo don't bother
>>
>>1136999
Its a califag shitposting
>>
>>1136538
It must be a samefag.
>>
>>1135803 here:

>>1136163
I actually meant to do the coast but google maps glitched with the size of the trip and wouldn't let me change the route. I couldn't be bothered to fix it because its a rough outline. Im debating whether to do the coast or do Yosemite in between LA and SF like >>1135811
suggested. Needless to say the coast is the preferred route and generally only adds an hour or so to the whole thing
>>
>>1136121
Really? Because most Americans agree with my list, I think it's pretty accurate. Could you explain why you think I'm wrong?
>>
>>1135771
>>North Dakota
>>Idaho
>>Wyoming
>>Kansas
>>New Jersey
>>South Dakota
>>Nevada
>>Iowa
>>Missouri
>>Arkansas

Obvious troll
>>
>>1137751
>most americans agree with my list
>a list that has iowa, kansas and new jersey

Citation badly needed
>>
>>1138124
First of all, Iowa has Des Moines, if you've never been to Des Moines on a Friday night you haven't really partied in the US. In fact, an IPSOS survey found 68% of Americans found Des Moines better than Boston in terms of nightlife.

Kansas has scenic highways, beautiful bnb's and earned TripAdvisor's ranking as the most romantic state in America. As well, that Topeka nightlife caused Sir Paul McCartney himself to dub Topeka City "the sexiest place on earth".

As for New Jersey, well, its nothing you can put into words. You have to experience it for yourself.
>>
>>1135771
>Nevada
>California
>Washington
>Oregon
>New York
>Wyoming
>Montana
>Texas
>Utah
>Alaska

Only place worth visiting east of the rockies is NY. Personally i dont like the city much but it has so much to do and see. It's really a must see.
>>
>>1138159
Youre so full of shit. unsourced ""surveys"" and literally whos opinions dont matter
>>
>>1138177
>forgetting new orleans
>forgetting the NC mountains
>forgetting new england
kys. nothing west of the rockies is worth shit besides san diego
>>
>>1138203
I didn't forget anything. Those things didn't make it to the top 10. Sorry, there are 40 losers.

San Diego? lol
>>
>>1138159
This has to be bait
>>
>>1138202
I don't know why I even bother, ask ANY American and they will tell you Des Moines has THE best bars, clubs and nightlife in the States, rivaled by only NYC. But if you absolutely NEED that Des Moines vs. Boston poll, here is the citation:

http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/doc/sf1.pdf

I don't know what other proof you need man.
>>
>>1138357
Jesus christ dude just shut up, nobody outside iowa gives a flying fuck about des moines.
>>
>>1138361
Just because you don't know a single thing about real American traveling and stick to your tourists traps like Boston or New York, doesn't change the fact that Topeka and Des Moines are world class cities whereas New York is a boring, overrated tourist trap. How can you be so culturally ignorant?
>>
>>1138361
I bet you didn't even read the survey
>>
>>1135773
>Upside down Virginia over Virginia
I'll humor you, but why should anyone go to NC over VA?
>>
>>1138159
>Using Boston as your baseline for fun
Already fucked up
>>
File: 1437957988331.png (91 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1437957988331.png
91 KB, 800x600
>>1136663
>>
>>1138362
Lol
>>
>>1138362
Name one thing you can do in Des Moines that you can't do in every single other mid to low tier city in the US?
>>
>>1138402
>responding to the most obvious bait ever posted on /trv/
>>
>>1138402
Look, if you were to just walk up to ANY girl in a Des Moines bar, and strike up a conversation with her, even if you're just asking for sex, you're GUARANTEED replies. And the world class cocktail bars stay open til 4, it's commonly referred to as "the mixology capital of the world" You can't say this about most cities. This is how friendly the nightlife is. You can't say the same about New York, which is just full of tryhards doing bad copies of trends they saw in Des Moines, Topeka, or Bismarck. Stay plebby, anon, Des Moines is better off without you no-class hipster plebs.
>>
>>1135803
shieeet im from arizona too

you go to asu?
>>
>>1135803
You should alter your trip to take the 8 west and hit up San Diego too. It's a great city and heading up the 5 with the beach on your left is much better than driving through shitty desert and riverside. Also you can stop in Laguna or any other place in the oc along the way too. :)
>>
>>1136121
>>1138124
>>1138202
>>1138361
>>1138402

I have never seen a faggot get baited this hard, this many times.

Good job, anon.
>>
>>1136125
Colorado is just amazing. Love the mountains. Especially in winter.
>>
Virginia is absolutely beautiful with awful towns
>>
MA is pretty lit durring the winter
>>
>>1139295
said nobody ever
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.