[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best place you have ever been?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (114 KB, 700x467) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
114 KB, 700x467
Hi /trv/,

I want to know about the best place you have ever been. I am not talking about a country or a city, just a specific place. Maybe a beach in scotland, maybe a restaurant in miami.

Just some place that made you feel fantastic.
>>
Daily bump
>>
I worked in South Dakota last summer and that was probably my favorite place. Small town in the middle of no where was fantastic. Even more specific was the open gun Range outside of the town. In the middle of the night I would go out there and just lay down and look at the stars. Still one my favorite memories.
>>
>>1135639
Not to be too RealTraveler (TM),/old fucker, but my favorite places are mostly spots in Thailand from when I lived there as a young person, starting in the late 1980s. Nong Khai, on the Mekhong/Lao border, when NE Thailand got few tourists and Laos got none, will always be magical to me. Nong Khai is still charming, in my opinion, dreadlocked Israelis in Singha or Beerlao wife beaters notwithstanding.
>>
File: DSC_0467.jpg (2 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0467.jpg
2 MB, 3840x2160
I loved the Berg Lake trail in British Columbia, near Mt Robson. I'd been spending the week checking out Jasper and Banff (which were also awesome) but didn't really have high expectations of Mt Robson - I just wanted to check out the tallest mountain in Canada. As it turned out the trail was maybe even more beautiful than what I'd seen in the other national parks, and I was with a group of friends who made the visit even more special. Turned a corner and was greeted with pic related, so we all stripped down to our underwear and had an impromptu swim. Good times, wish I could go back.
>>
Very good stories so far! OP here, i'm glad this thread did not die.

To me all of my favorite experiences were in scotland. I went there alone and got to know a lot of people.
Slept with a girl, made friends, sat in pubs. All that.

But by far my fav moment was this one morning in fort william. The night before I got lost climbing a glenn and it started storming. I thought I'd die out there and luckily found my way back to the hostel.

The morning was foggy and this old lady made me breakfast after showering. I looked out the window and the clouds were hanging really low right above the hills. It was incredibly idyllic and I was glad to be alibe to be able to witness this.
>>
File: image.jpg (432 KB, 2048x1535) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
432 KB, 2048x1535
>>1135639
Jökulsárlón, Iceland. Was so different to anywhere else I had been before, it was stunning.
>>
>>1135828
That is so strange. The shit that actually appeals to people, you spend your whole life trying to get away and this fucker thinks you're in paradise.
>>
File: IMG_2044.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2044.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>1135639
There are a few spots that made/make me happy just being there.
Warning: I'm a tourist and love me some cliché.

A specific stool at the Starbucks at iSquare, by the window that overlooks Nathan Rd in HK. (pic related).

Chilling by the fireplace with a glass of wine at Tsitsikamma Village Inn's restaurant, waiting for a hearty South african meal after a day in the cold (wonderful place to stay and eat BTW).

Smoking shisha under the stars after dune driving in Dubai.

Being harrassed by squirrels in Madison Square Park, overlooked by the Flat Iron.

Opening your window in the morning over Cilaos' mountains here in my home island http://www.horizon-reunion.com/serve_picture/show/71

Eating shabu shabu in a small tavern cramped Under a Subway bridge in Tokyo.

Seeing the Hollywood sign IRL the first time

And so on
>>
>be in Alaska
>go outside
>completely mesmerized by everything around you

This fucking place man.
>>
Daily bump
>>
>>1136023
Beautiful spot -- did you get out onto the beach across the road? Black sand beach littered with ice blocks from the size of a VW on down. I'll post a pic when I get to my other pooter where the pics is.
>>
>>1136032
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, m8.

I live in a mid-size town in Germany where nothing much happens. It's not a super buzzing economy, but it's stable and trundles along, got a university to keep some young people around. It's got medieval history and such, a decent football team (not that I care much), decent shopping (though not brilliant). It's not a bad place in any way, but not too 'special' either. But you know what? I love it. Locals here are always shocked when I say that. They all want to escape to Berlin or somewhere bigger, which I think is a terrible idea. Maybe it's because I'm from a big city myself.

The only thing I do miss sometimes is a top-tier restaurant/dining/cafe/bar scene. I'm a chubby fucker who loves his food and whiskey bars. This place is just too provincial for it. Trends from like 15 years ago are just struggling to break in here.
>>
File: 1.jpg (42 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
42 KB, 960x720
I don't know if it's the best place I've ever been, but I love New Delhi.

I lived there for about a year and a half and have a lot of special memories in that city. It's dirty, polluted, crowded, and chaotic, but I always feel my heart itch when I pick up and fly off home towards the United States. I think my fondness for the place is mostly rooted in memories - it was one of the first cities I visited overseas, after having traveled around the Middle-East and Caucuses. Delhi is where I began one of my first long-term relationships and started dating. That relationship ended up falling to pieces after I went back to America for a few months, but it set up me to do well with women when I'd struggled and sputtered all through my teenage years.

I have friends all over the city and know parts of central and South Delhi better than my own hometown. I'd probably have a hard time explaining how to get to the church where I had Boy Scout meetings for years, but I wouldn't have to think on giving directions from CP to Shipra Sun City in Ghaziabad or from Govindpuri Metro to Krishna Market or Chandni Chowk to Karim's.

I learned how to read and write Hindi as well as how to ride and drive a motorbike. I have my own Royal Enfield here in the United States. Sometimes I listen to Hindi music in my car - music is and has been one of my favorite parts about traveling. I talk to my friends on WhatsApp every day at work and am excited for the tickets I've still to buy to back in December.

I'm a realist, though. There are a lot of things I hate about Delhi, from the sexual harassment to the thieving landlords and lying rickshaw-walas. Regardless, it feels like a second home. It's a massive monster of a city wherein I can weave my way through a handful of neighborhoods and be greeted with handshakes and people calling my name on every visit.

I'm glad I didn't grow up poor in Delhi but I'm happy I went to visit.

Pic sorta related, took from the rooftop of a restaurant in CP
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.