[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /trv/. I am from Sinagpore and I will soon move to Canada
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
Hey /trv/.
I am from Sinagpore and I will soon move to Canada to study abroad. I am worried about not fitting in and ending up as one of those people who feel really homesick. I guess this should be an eye-opening experience for me, but I don't know if I will end up like those Chinese immigrants who only mingle with other Asian people and do not really have local friends.
How to fit in? Will partying and drinking help me fit into Western culture? I don't want to be one of those Chinese people who does not fit in into the local culture.
>>
>>1134898
Make a conscious effort not to socialize with other Chinese students, or Chinese locals. I know this takes you out of your comfort zone -- a big thing when in a new, strange place -- but it's essential if you want to meet non-Chinese people. Not all of these locals, or even many of them, are big partiers and drinkers, so you also need to put your prejudices and preconceptions aside. You're from Singapore, so your English is OK -- talk to people, other students, etc., join clubs, participate in sports, in general be friendly and open. You should have no problem fitting in as long as you're willing to put in the effort to find people with interests similar to yours.
>>
I'm a Canadian who just recently studied abroad in Singapore, and I can say that you'll notice a huge difference in how people think about drinking and partying (as you sort of alluded to). Don't feel pressured to turn into a borderline alcoholic like plenty of the local kids, but also don't be afraid to have a drink every now and then. A lot of people here like going out for a few drinks, or having friends over to play drinking games and this is how a lot of people bond with one another/have a good time.That being said, there will still be a good chunk of people that don't drink, so you'll be fine if you choose not to as well.

Like the person above me said, try to avoid spending all of your time with other Chinese students. Most Asian local/exchange students tend to mainly hangout with each other, so you don't want to fall into that trap. Are you really coming all the way to Canada to just eat Chinese food while watching Chinese tv shows with Chinese friends? It'll be good to have some friends like this, especially if you ever feel homesick, but try to branch out.

As long as your open to meeting new people, people will be open to hanging out with you, and I'm sure you'll have a great time.
>>
>>1135216
Pretty much this, I have a Malaysian friend who said this exactly when he came over to America. He's a really nice guy but very strange, you could be that guy.
>>
>>1135216
>Make a conscious effort not to socialize with other Chinese students, or Chinese locals
Lol that is like avoiding people from your own culture? One of my roommates is Chinese
>Are you really coming all the way to Canada to just eat Chinese food while watching Chinese tv shows with Chinese friends?
I agree haha
>>
>>1134898
Do not socialize with other Asians this is the best advice in my university there are large groups of Asians that are all friends and they are immensely disliked but the Asians who hangout with whites get along good.
>>
>>1134898
partying and drinking is overblown. it's an aspirational symbol. everyone wants to do it because it's seen as the "cool" thing to do, but relatively few people do it a lot like in the movies, and the ones who do end up miserable, I guarantee you.

I'm also an asian immigrant, and my 2 cents is that on some level we will NEVER be the same as them. we think differently, our kids will think differentl, our grandkids will think differently.

we have different values. we are overall stricter, less open, less forgiving, more conformist but on the other hand, we see a lot of things here that outright disgust us, forgiveness for murder, drugs, promotion of the incompetent, worship of obesity, etc.

don't force yuorself to be something you're not. it'll break you.

use canada as a chance to explore a marketplace of ideas. your ideas are up for grabs. so are theirs. be careful what you put in your brain, garbage in garbage out, but that's how they operate. they don't operate in "one sinlge correct" way. it's a marketplace much more so than overseas chinese comunities.

avoid chinese people only because this is temporary and you don't want a crutch. you are chinese, you'll never be able to erase that. but you'll also never be as open and loud as whites. they don't need you to be like them for them to like you. kind of like you don't need X expat white person in singapore to be completely like you to be his friend.

the socal divisions in canada and america are not as stark as in singapore because the indians and malays here are not (yet) trying to kill us like they are in SG.

if you're asking how to be less autistic though, none of us can help.
>>
Which part are you going to in Canada? It's a big place, and the east and west are quite different. Mostly, just be open and friendly, if your studying abroad you will be around students and people your age, and won't have any problems making friends assuming you look out for the opportunities and take them. Drinking can be a bonding experience and a way to network, even if you don't drink. If you get invited to a party, check it out and meet people. Expand from there
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.