[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Getting a Career/Education Abroad
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: Screenshot_16.jpg (21 KB, 639x310) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_16.jpg
21 KB, 639x310
I checked the sticky, but it looks like all the working abroad stuff is for low skill work.
I don't mean to sound entitled, but what about getting jobs abroad that are higher paying? Like, an actual career?
I'm a senior and an EE major, and would really like the opportunity to work overseas, but I actually want to do work related to what I study.
Do any of you have any advice/tips for getting jobs overseas? Has anyone ever applied for post-grad school overseas? Is it easier/harder getting into certain countries for a doctorates?
I imagine this question is dependent on where you live, and where you're trying to go, but I would love to hear anyone's experiences/advice.
>>
>>1134735
>I imagine this question is dependent on where you live, and where you're trying to go,
Indeed, that's why you might start by sharing your own.

Electrical engineering is a pretty broad field. Do you have any specialization yet? As you might imagine, industry in 'foreign' countries tends to work in the language of that country. You're dealing with people on a daily basis who may not have ever taken much language courses. So YOU will be learning their language.

>applying for post-grad in engineering without having even worked
Don't waste your time.
>>
Peace Corps -> International Development
>>
It's certainly dependent on where you come from and where you want to go. For me I'm a business student (finance) in Canada, and I want to go out to work in Asia. I am not fluent in any Asian language, so that will automatically close many doors, and basically shut out many more opportunities for me. That being said Singapore or Hong Kong will be my best bet.

I've spoken with more people working in Singapore (as they are typically less stringent in their language requirements) and have learned a lot of it is about either networking, experience, or both. I've got some friends that just worked over in North America for two years and instead of taking their promotion they applied for that equivalent position in Singapore and got it easily. By easily I mean that it wasn't any more difficult for them to get that job than it was for them to find jobs here.

So try to get some experience here under your belt, that way it proves that you are worth the visa, and while you're doing that try to reach out to people in the international market you want to work in. This way you'll have a bit of a network, and you're proving that you really want it.

This is just what people I'm close with have done, and they're also business people so shit might work a bit differently. But essentially it came down to networking and having some sort of experience that proved they weren't stupid.
>>
>>1134739
>Indeed, that's why you might start by sharing your own.
Sorry, I purposefully left it vague to hear anyone's experience from whatever background. I live in the USA, and would like to work in any Asian country.

>Electrical engineering is a pretty broad field. Do you have any specialization yet?
You answered that yourself at the end of your post, I have no industry experience.

>As you might imagine, industry in 'foreign' countries tends to work in the language of that country.
Yeah, I was worried about this. For myself, I don't know any other languages and imagine it would be pretty difficult to learn all the math/engineering terms in another language as well. Thought maybe people might have had a experience working with an int'l company. For example I know of people who work for Boeing in Japan, but know no Japanese.

>Don't waste your time.
If I were to do post-grad, it would be in physics.

>>1134741
I'll look into it.

>>1134745
>So try to get some experience here under your belt, that way it proves that you are worth the visa, and while you're doing that try to reach out to people in the international market you want to work in. This way you'll have a bit of a network, and you're proving that you really want it.
Definitely. I figured it would be pretty difficult getting a job straight out of college in another country.

>they applied for that equivalent position in Singapore
Were these positions within the company they already worked for?
>>
>>1134757
>Were these positions within the company they already worked for?

Not always. Some did transfer offices when an opening came up, but some of them just straight up applied to a different or rival company.

What I also learned is that getting an international job is not as hard as you think. Sure it isn't a walk in the park, but very few people actually want to move abroad, which is why you might not hear about people moving to a new country too often.
>>
>>1134735
I agree with you on this. I was planning on getting an English degree to teach but everyone I knew told me its a waste of time. Im considering changing my major to finance so that will be more realistic than just traveling then coming back with a worthless degree. If any anon can give me a rebuttal id love to hear it because I still like English a bit.
>>
>>1134811
Majoring in finance will definitely open up more doors and in more places. With English, maybe you'll go teach abroad for a bit, but you can't do that forever, and what are you going to do after?

Finance professionals, or people that can prove they are analytic problem solvers (what a finance degree can show), are wanted everywhere. I think it'll make it easier to find a real career, either locally or internationally.

Take English as a minor or electives or however your school works. You'll get a practical degree, and you can still have plenty of room to study what you like.
>>
I'm about to get my PhD in Electrical/Computer Engineering and have been looking into overseas jobs as well. I'm thinking I could be an assistant professor at some school in asia or maybe europe. Or maybe some kind of intl company like samsung or motorola. Any tips?
>>
>>1135594
look at the fucking salaries for PhDs in europe.
They're earning power is primitive.
Everyone with a PhD in STEM is getting the fuck OUT of europe, save for London, Munich and Switzerland.
Wages in spain, portugal, italy, france, belgium, nordic countries are so fucking low compared to North AM..

Anything tech is just not valued as much in general here. Good tier engineers out of good schools grants you 35k starting in france.
60 percent of business transits by the state at some point. The rest are self employed doctors, dentists and shopkeepers, carpenters, restaurant owners.
The business climate is very bad here.

When the EU Space agency lost a art of their contracts to Space X's falcon, the arianne guys sat and devised a new plan to "reinforce the european place in the pursuit of space ventures" their conclusion was to ask for the different in grants from the Union.
No reorg, no new tech, no new people, nop firing no hiring, no new launching schedule, no new public relations plan nonothing. Just asked more money in exchange from poor results.

Europe is a bad career choice for tech people. Lawyers thrive here.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.