[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I give my host family a present?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
>I am from Canada
>Was offered the opportunity to study German for two weeks in Germany by my uni
>Uni pays for host family expenses
>Super nice German teacher who has taught me before at uni is our tour guide and she takes care of us
>I bought a box of biscuit which cost around €6 in Canada
>Host family experience is very different to my previous experiences
>They seem to be doing this as a business with a lot of kids staying at their house and their priority seems to be earning cash
>Washing clothes with their washing machine costs six euros and we are forbidden to handwash clothes
Should I give my host family the box of biscuit or should I just give them to the German teacher from my uni instead?
>>
>>1134674

Why don't you ask your host family what they are expecting from your stay at their place?

At least, that's the first thing I did when staying at a host family and it helped making each other understand perfectly. Then I went and fucked it up but that's another story.
>>
>>1134685
Like explicitly ask them what they are expecting?
I am a beginner in German and my German is awful. Our host family doesn't speak English.
How did you screw up?
>>
>>1134697

I see. That is difficult then. I was able to at least ask some basic questions when I went abroad.

Here is the German (very simple):

Warum nehmen sie so viele Gaststudenten auf? - Why do you host so many students?
or
Berherbergen sie viele Studenten geschäftlich oder für den Erfahrungswert? - Are you hosting that many students as a business or just for the experience?

It's difficult, but if you can somehow understand them better, you will know the answer to your initial question and it will help you for any further interactions.

On how I screwed up: somehow thought it was a good idea to invite some girl they don't know over to their place and later on moved out of their place during the middle of my stay, in order to be with that girl. They liked me a lot before and probably forgave me, however I can't forgive myself to them. Especially their children were extremely sad about me just leaving. It was in Japan, so they are super inflexible, overbearing and serious about all that shit and tried to chew me out at the host uni for that.

Going to bed now. Gute Nacht!
>>
just give them the present if you like what they did for you.
>>
>>1134706
Hmmm not really for me. I see what they did as business like. Do you give presents to a hotel owner?
>>
>>1134674
That's a shame. Not all host families are like that, but they certainly exist. I would definitely complain to the hosting organization, to say that it's very unprofessional, unfriendly and lends a probably inauthentic view of German culture.

I'm German and know several people who went over to the US or Canada for highschool exchange years. At least two of my friends were also placed with families who were just doing it to collect the compensation (other int students were there too), didn't really give a fuck about the people. One was a poor black family, the father a former soldier collecting veteran's pay or whatever, the mother a stay-at-home fatass. They only shopped at Wal-mart and bought fast-food take out a lot. Apparently the family was nice, but my friend said it wasn't a good experience overall. On the other hand, he got his first blowjob from the host daughter, kek.

Another friend got placed with devout Mormons who didn't allow coffee, tea, cola, etc. no TV, strictly monitored internet, and kept a 9pm curfew. If he was even 3-4 minutes late (and he's German, remember!) they would ground him. And yes, they tried to convert him too. Another was placed with devout Christians who prayed before literally everything and forced another friend to go to some evangelical church every Sunday. Some did have good experiences, most had fun overall anyway but I'd say about half didn't like the experience or their host family.

No, don't give the cookies.
>>
>>1134703
>Berherbergen sie viele Studenten geschäftlich oder für den Erfahrungswert?
>O_o
>>
>>1134817
Well the host mom (an elderly lady) tried chatting with me just now. She had a salad while we had lunch. I feel like this is more like a two-week bed and breakfast experience than a host family.
I stayef with a host family before and it was very different. Me and my friends were yhr only kids staying our host family. Now there are five kids in total living here. My first host family planned acitivied for us and allowed us to visit their neighbours who were also hosting our friends. They drove us around town. This host family does not plan any acitivies for the kids they are hosting.
One of the kids here is living here permanently as he is studying abroad here. According to our host, he is very well-off and some other kids she hosted were very wealthy as well. Maybe they think we are all rich so she tries to get us to pay them with as much as possible?
I have talked to some other people selected for the trip. Some of my travel companions living with other host families said they are allowed to wash their clothes with the washing machine two times per week. Their host family didn't mention anything about how much that will cost. My other travel companions didn't ask anything about the laundry.
>>
>>1134895
Perhaps she is subtly implying she only wants people willing to pay for everything. It is highly doubtful that she has deep altruistic cultural exchange ideas. It's a sad reality that some people do this (or perhaps get jaded after a while) just for the money. Frankly I think they should be reported and weeded out.

6€ for a load of laundry is also insulting. That's equal to or more than going to a laundromat (depending where you are). In some apartments in Germany, there are communal washers for like 50 cents to 1€ (in my experience, YMMV). Yes there are water/electricity costs but you're paying too much.

I mean, they are compensated because of the shit they are supposed to be doing FOR YOU. The compensation isn't a payment purely for the hosts' land or labour, but to cover extra electricity, water, coffee, beer, etc. She's double-dipping.

Some people are just cunts, regardless of nationality. Sounds like you're staying with one. This is YOUR life and YOUR experience. Don't let a poor experience develop when you know it could've been better out of some feeling of duty or politeness or whatever. Like I said, I would complain right away to the hosting organization and tell them it's cold, unprofessional and business-like, and they should stop sending students to her. You want somewhere else, pronto. Once you tell her you're leaving, and she asks why, tell her straight up if you wanted a hotel atmosphere, you'd stay in a hotel.
>>
>>1134984
I don't know. Maybe they need this as a source of income. They told me some of the kids they hosted were super rich and you know, it I was hosting super rich kids I would want to charge them a lot too - they can afford it anyway.
I know it is expensive lol I got a shirt at a cheaper price.
Well they just had a new grandchild so maybe that is why their attention isn't so focused on us.
>>
>>1135032
I'm telling you, as a German, this isn't normal behaviour. Don't make excuses for them. They do not 'need' it a source of income, and gouging naive students is not an honourable source regardless. Even if she isn't lying, who the fuck cares if some of the kids are super rich? That doesn't make exploitation OK.

I hope you're not going to give them your cuckies too.
>>
>>1134674
>Washing clothes with their washing machine costs six euros
This has to be a joke or hyperbole, or if not then highly insulting. I live in Germany and it costs 4€ to wash a load, use detergent, and then dry the load in a dryer (not common in Germany) in an upscale Waschsalon. If they are seriously charging you 6€ then it is because they purely see you as a form of revenue. Definitely not what I would want to see as an exchange student. You should seriously consider reporting them to your exchange agency as this is not what a cultural and language exchange should be like. Forget the gifts, serve them with a complaint.
>>
>>1135053
I texted my parents about this and they said maybe the family needs money or something and since she did a bit of chit chatting with us and they just had a new grandkid maybe they are actually nice. She said maybe they originally intended this to be a business not for cultural exchange.
>cuckies
Lol
>>1135069
I told the teacher in charge of the trip about it. The host family has a notice which reads that using the washing machine costs money if it is not included in the contract with my language school. The teacher in charge contacted the language school but they still haven't replied. She agreed that it is quite expensive and she said that since she is living with a host family close to our place, we can take our clothes to her place and wash them there instead.
Should I give our teacher the present instead?
>>
>>1135081
Well, the pussiness is genetic I see.

Being 'actually nice', and ripping you off blind are not mutually exclusive. If she were 'actually nice' she wouldn't be gouging you for laundry, and wouldn't be humblebragging about all the foreign rich twats she takes in. What does chit-chatting with you or having a grandkid have to fucking do with anything? Murderers can chit-chat and have grandchildren too. We're telling you, you're being exploited. Whether you roll over and take it in the ass from an old lady or do something about it is up to you.

>Should I give our teacher the present instead?
Give her the D. Nobody wants your cookies, m8.
>>
>>1135094
I am a girl not a guy
>>
>>1135211
>I am a girl not a guy
And?

Where in Germany are you staying? Want me to call this old hag and put her in her place?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.