[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Language Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: _7733335.jpg (62 KB, 660x371) Image search: [Google]
_7733335.jpg
62 KB, 660x371
Do you learn the local language before travelling?

How many/what languages do you speak?

best way to learn?
>>
>>best way to learn?
language school + immersion
>>
File: spanish-image.jpg (97 KB, 634x317) Image search: [Google]
spanish-image.jpg
97 KB, 634x317
Anyone try watching movies as an artificial immersion? I'd like to watch films in Spanish with English subtitles, can I use netflix for this?
>>
>>1134610
anyone know anything about this? Netflix doesn't have any Spanish content for me
>>
>>1134610
it's better than nothing, but you need to already understand the grammar and have built up a decent vocabulary. otherwise it's just an idiot trap that wastes time with something that sounds fun for lazy idiots

>>1134609
this.

>>1134608
op avoid commercial programs, avoid idiot trap books, avoid college programs. nothing will teach you a language except an immersion school, unless you specifically know what to do yourself.

the field is so saturated with commercial products that it's almost impossible for a normie to find good information
>>
>>1134608
I learn a couple of words - the basics like hello, thank you, sorry etc. in the hopes the locals don't perceive me as an ignorant white trash. It pays off when they smile like they weren't expecting that.
>>
>>1134608
>Do you learn the local language before travelling?
When possible, yeah, I pick some up. I'll at least pay close attention to a phrasebook on the plane (I'm quick with language in general, so some serious study of a language resource, however meager, typically goes a long way for me).

>How many/what languages do you speak?

I'm a native English speaker with fluent Thai, good Lao, Spanish, and Russian, limited Portuguese, and small but functional amounts of Japanese, Cantonese, Khmer, and Romanian, among a few others--enough for directions, shopping/restaurants, and small talk. I can also fake it in quite a few other languages I've never formally studied, mostly in the Romance and Slavic families, thanks to formal Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, and Russian classes.

>best way to learn?
Formal instruction from somebody who knows how to teach, followed by immersion, has worked best for me. I think it's only an exceptional few who can make much progress through self-study/online study alone, and conversation partners who aren't teachers can reinforce mistakes or bad habits if you don't already have a good grasp of fundamental structures and grammar.
>>
>>1134608
I try to learn some simple stuff, as it is usually appreciated by the local population. A little goodwill goes a long way.

Fluent or close to fluent in Dutch, English, French, German, Danish and Swedish. Studied all those formally for anywhere between 2 and 8 years. Can get by in Spanish and Norwegian on the back of some less than formal education and knowing related languages. Some basic Romanian and Russian, which I still hope to improve.

Best method is, by far, >>1134609.
>>
Immersion is usually a meme. People just wind up thinking they just have to wait for their trip and dont study at all, then they get to France (or whatever) and they have no idea what anyone is saying. Basically drown in it and all you wind up learning is how to find other English speakers.

Self study or take classes for AT LEAST a year before leaving to "immerse" yourself. This is especially true for those who only speak English.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.