[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey, Where to go to just drop out ? I mean drive to some remote
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 6523035871_38fa2c6193_bcc.jpg (362 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
6523035871_38fa2c6193_bcc.jpg
362 KB, 1024x683
hey,
Where to go to just drop out ? I mean drive to some remote part and just build a hut and live off savings. This is my escapist dream and now i have the means to do it.
Should be warm and a country thats still chill, i dont want police to fuck with me because i didnt ask for permission to build a shitbox in my yard.
I heard some countries in SA and SE-Asia are pretty good for this, but i need some more precise infos.
I would also be interested in buying property, but online i generally only found higher price class property and no remote ones. Im looking for something like pic related, dont care about condition/water/electricity, im ready to work.
Everything is greatly appreciated.
>>
>>1134079
>SEA
More or less the only country left in Southeast Asia where you could even theoretically pull something like this off is Cambodia--it remains possible to get an indefinitely renewable Cambodian business visa for a few hundred dollars on flimsy pretexts, at least for now. The Philippines has a relatively generous visa regime as well, though that will obviously depend on your nationality.

More or less everywhere else you will need a local job, a local wife, or more money than you probably have to be allowed to stay legally for more than six months. Life as an illegal immigrant is possible but risky, with near-guaranteed financial repercussions (most countries charge you by the day for overstaying visas or permissions, which can add up to many thousands over the course of some years), eventually, and some constant chance of arrest and deportation.

No detailed idea about land tenure for foreigners in either CB or PH, but do know that the Cambodian government (one of the most corrupt and kleptocratic on earth) regularly appropriates property for politically connected sugar or paper interests--lots of local farmers have become homeless thanks to land grabs in the last twenty years or so. So it has the potential to be pretty exciting real estate. And I know that foreigners cannot own land in Thailand, just condos (not the dirt underneath or around them). Even that is a pretty recent innovation; I lived there for many years when all property was forbidden to international buyers. And Thailand is in the six months and you're out club anyhow, so you won't be able to get legal residency.
>>
>>1134081
Thanks for the reply.
Cambodia was actually my first pick for the reasons you listed.
If im not mistaken a foreigner cant buy land in cambodia, but you can do some kind of legal partnership with a cambodian citizen to buy property.
>>
>>1134085
Concur with the other dude that said that Cambodia is the place because of the Visa situation.

The trick in 'bodia is to get a company (offshore or not), buy the place through a local, then make a 99yr lease to the company.

Of course, rule of law is weak in Cambodia, and the day when the locals decide to string up the big man and his croonies, it is gonna be even harder to defend your 'rights'.

Just find some good people to rent from. Stay a couple of years. You have no idea what will happen and what you will want to do in the future.
>>
Myanmar is the least densely populated country in SEA; could one go off-grid there? I know it's corrupt as fuck and you'd have to make your bungalow tiger-proof, but in theory I wonder if it's possible.
>>
>>1134154
>Myanmar is the least densely populated country in SEA; could one go off-grid there? I know it's corrupt as fuck and you'd have to make your bungalow tiger-proof, but in theory I wonder if it's possible.
Cambodia is only just behind Myanmar in terms of population density; the problem in Burma is that the least densely populated areas are all ethnic-minority regions with histories of separatist violence (or, in a couple of cases, ongoing separatist conflict) and relatively high military presence. There are still some official restrictions on travel to many of these places, as far as I know, although things are obviously changing quickly. Oh, and they're also mostly mountainous parts of the country, with negligible infrastructure.

Elsewhere, there's a gold rush taking place--if it's possible to mine something or build something there, the price has gone through the roof in the last three years, and someone with more money and connections than you is ahead of you in line to buy (lease?) it, whether an oil or gemstone company or an international government project.
>>
>>1134079

are you American? just go to some shithole state, find abandoned property, and try to adversely possess it

ez

unless you're literally living off principal stuffed into a mattress, you might run into some tax problems tho
>>
>>1134085
Maybe Google the "landmine problem in Cambodia" before settling on that as your plan, though.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.