[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'll be living abroad for a year and I was told not to drink
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_1471.jpg (86 KB, 425x612) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1471.jpg
86 KB, 425x612
I'll be living abroad for a year and I was told not to drink water from the tap due to differences in filtration systems and there being an almost certain risk of getting sick.

How realistic is this? I can't imagine myself buying mountains of bottled water just to avoid drinking from the tap. I regularly go to the gym and when I do, I easily have to fill up my water bottle twice from the fountain. I'm not going to start lugging around expensive water everywhere.

How do people deal with this realistically?
>>
>>1133476
where are you going ?
>>
>>1133501
Taipei
>>
>>1133476
I lived in Taipei for 1.5 years and drank tap water, but usually it either was filtered and/or boiled for tea because I only ever drank from the sink when home. When you're out, it's easier to step into a convenience store and buy a liter of cold water for a buck than hunt down a fountain to fill up. At school we had water dispenser units that spit out hot and cold filtered water.

I do remember my dad telling me to be cautious about drinking too much unfiltered tap water but I never really worried about it.
>>
>>1133476
there are filters you can attach to the faucet. more permanent homes will have filters installed under the sink or above the sink, like those fancy reverse osmosis filters you sometimes see.

I never got sick in taipei, standards have improved very quickly and I think the warnings mainly used to apply ten-ish years ago, and still apply to rural areas that rely on well water, which is, what, half the country?

>>1133556
these days I think the warnings mainly apply because of heavy metals, which may or may not be paranoisa, which may or may not be removed by anythng other than reverse osmosis filters

asian parents are really just overly cautious. one of the current complaints making the rounds is a carcinogen preservative in the food that the family mart type stores adopted from the japanese. will it give you cancer eventually? sure. is it worse than anything else we're eating? doubtful.

I def wouldn't give the water to a baby though. don't do that man
>>
>>1133556
>>1133562
That's helpful. I'll look into filters and just take my chances with whatever is at the gym.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.