[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've always had this question, is Finland part of Scandinavia?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
I've always had this question, is Finland part of Scandinavia? Upon research, I found out that Scandinavia consists of Denmark, Norway and Sweden.
The reason why a lot of people think Finland is a part of Scandinavia is because all of the four countries are also known as "Nordic countries" if you add Iceland to them.
What's your input on this matter?
>>
You have literally just answered your own question. What is it you want from us ?
>>
>>1132748
>input
>>
>>1132747
I mean the history of Finland is different than that of the other countries, just like their language isn't a Germanic language.

But I think that if you visit those countries, especially as an American I guess, you're not really going to notice a bigger difference between Sweden and Finland than between Sweden and Norway
>>
>>1132747
Scandinavia: Norway, Sweden, Denmark
Nordic countries: Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland
Scandinavian peninsula: Norway, Sweden, Finland
Source: norwegian
>>
get your shit straight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsXMe8H6iyc
>>
>>1132750
The history of Finland is shared with Sweden from the middle ages to the early 19th century
>>
>>1132747
/int/ has been trolling each other about this as long as /int/ has existed. this isn't really /trv/.

'Scandinavia' is more of a geographic designation, Nordic more a cultural one. Denmark gets lumped in despite not being on the Scandinavian 'mainland' because tradition, 'close enough' and it did use to possess Skåne in southern Sweden. The three members (SWE, NOR, DEN) are basically close variations of each other. Finland is on the other side of the Gulf of Bothnia, technically not Scandinavia' and is not culturally Germanic. Finland was part of Sweden for centuries, which makes it a little more fuzzy and confuses some... 'Scandinavian' could be used by some to refer culture/politics of those under the geographic designation.

"B-but today Finland does share a border with Norway!!" I hear you saying. Irrelevant. It's origins are historic. The northern parts of Finland/Norway/Sweden used to be a 'lolwut? there be snowdragons' territory of nomad barbarians wildlings (Sami) that no one much cared or knew about about when Scandinavia was busy getting its name from Roman cartographers. Scandis and Finns themselves only pushed up into Sami lands in the 15-16th century.

Iceland (and Faroe) sometimes get lumped in with 'Scandinavian', because the trivial differences in geography and culture are moot for outsiders. You would be more correct to say Nordic, but everyone knows what you mean by Scandinavian.

Only autists or pub quiz participants *really* care either way.
>>
>>1132949
>Only autists or pub quiz participants *really* care either way.

Or scandis.
>>
>>1132771
Finland isn't on the Scandinavian peninsula look at a map you cod nigger
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.