[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello, I don't know if it's the most fitting board
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: lanai.jpg (852 KB, 3308x2028) Image search: [Google]
lanai.jpg
852 KB, 3308x2028
Hello, I don't know if it's the most fitting board for my main question, but it won't hurt to try.
I want to travel through a few European countries in summer by nothing but bike, but the problem is, I don't know much about bikes. Let's assume I'll be riding mostly on asphalt roads - what kind of bike should I get then?

I'm open for other advice as well.
>>
File: xxl[1].jpg (1 MB, 2600x1694) Image search: [Google]
xxl[1].jpg
1 MB, 2600x1694
>>1132513
Touring, or this new style of bike that's coming about, adventure bikes. They're a little bit cooler than touring bikes, and can in some cases fit panniers to get all of your luggage in. Some are more road oriented like the Genesis Datum, some are a little more offroad capable, like the Ridley X-Trail. It depends a lot on what you're going to be doing as to what works best for you.

Personally I'd recommend a traditional steel touring bike. While they can be kinda heavy, they're very comfortable and usually come with a very wide range of gears, and are available in drop and flat bar styles. Ridgeback make a good range of tourers with a range of pricepoints. Genesis also make a very nice tourer if flat bars is more you bag.
>>
>>1132518
Alright, so touring bikes are something like road bikes but better adjusted for carrying a luggage, am I getting it right? Can it serve as a city bike as well?
>>
>>1132738
Yeah, exactly. You can use them as city bikes, but then I'd say most drop bar bikes are capable of that, within reason. They wont be as well suited as a singlespped or cheap beater because the look a bit more desirable, but that's about it.
>>
>>1132513
/n/ might be able to help you out

>>>/n/
>>
Lol you're really absolutely clueless about bikes. Touring bikes is probably what you're looking for as they designed for carrying luggage. It's a totally different way of riding, conventional but boring.
They bike depicted in the image posted above has a road bike handlebar which is very untypical for touring bikes. If you want to go for a hybrid between road and touring bike, check out the Trek 720 for instance.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.