[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Iceland
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: Island_Askja.jpg (521 KB, 1558x1052) Image search: [Google]
Island_Askja.jpg
521 KB, 1558x1052
Going to Iceland this september, will be driving around and camping. Apart from the "Top 10 stuff to see in Iceland", is there anything you guys can recommend?

General tips and tricks for wild camping also welcome.
>>
I'll be there in september too!

I based on this articles to pick some places, check for other places and obviously don't pay nothing in this site

10 days - https://guidetoiceland.is/book-holiday-trips/10-day-self-drive-tour-circle-of-iceland

9 days - https://guidetoiceland.is/book-holiday-trips/9-day-self-drive-tour-circle-of-iceland

8 days - https://guidetoiceland.is/book-holiday-trips/8-day-self-drive-tour-circle-of-iceland
>>
>>1132998
tfw there for 7 days :^)

thanks anon
>>
>>1133122
There you go...

https://guidetoiceland.is/book-holiday-trips/7-day-self-drive-tour-circle-of-iceland

Enjoy!
>>
Weird synchronicity, I am probably going to Iceland September or October and just found out earlier this day. I'd also like to hear what people suggest for road tripping and camping around Iceland.

I know they're kind of goofy, but those little camper vans look pretty handy.
>>
>>1133122

Also found this done is 7 days:

http://expertvagabond.com/ring-road-trip-iceland/
>>
>>1133343
viking museum, reykjanesbaer
>>
>>1133341
>I know they're kind of goofy, but those little camper vans look pretty handy.
meh just get a regular rental and sleep in a tent, you'll probably cheaper off
>>
>>1133343
>>1133232
Is 2k (CAD) per person really what I should be expecting for a week long trip in September? I feel like it must be cheaper to just get a rental and hotels along the way.

That drive does look great though, I'll probably be doing what I can with it when I go regardless. If we have to camp out,s most days, so be it.
>>
How is the "Golden Circle" of Þingvellir National Park, Gullfoss Waterfalls, and
Haukadalur Geothermal Fields?

Is a 4x4 tour worth it?
>>
>>1134573
nah 2k CAD sounds about right, it's a silly expensive country
>>
File: plane_wont_fly.jpg (129 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
plane_wont_fly.jpg
129 KB, 640x960
I have a question.

I know that since march, approximately, the road to the wrecked plane is closed to cars. Is it closed for hiking also?
>>
>>1133341
The campervan we rented was cheaper than a car.
>>
>>1134977
No, hiking is fine. But the hike is long and boring. About 50 mins each way. Still worth it though.
>>
TSU
>>
>>1132397
Maybe someone can correct me with personal experience, because my trip to Iceland was hotel based...but when I was there in last week Aug-first week of Sept, I saw no one, zero, camping going on everywhere I went, though the weather was still lovely (luck) with no rain or extreme cold (big windy days, however). I visited places where there were closed campgrounds in every town, and never witnessed a wild camper, and honestly nor can I even imagine a place you could pull over and camp. Along the ring road, or out to Thingvellir, most of the immediate road shoulders are hole-ridden lava fields that would shred some tires. All roads off the ring road were simply private driveways to a single person's home for which you might need permission or would be empty because it was my understanding that most residents use these homes as "summer" or vacation family places, but had to be in a city for work reasons. Even the country hotels because boarding schools again once kids go back in September.
Notice how this site says they are open until beginning of September.
http://www.west.is/en/stay-and-dine/camping

So, it would royally suck if you got there and had no where to stay, so please research your camping idea for the timing. Email specific campgrounds.Though my shoulder season visit was awesome it was both fortunately awesome weather that you can't count on having, it was also fortunate that I was driving and not relying on public buses that cease running by September. I also had a great budget to handle staying at the 3star in town, that even despite being the best place was really IKEA low level bedding typically.
>>
make sure to pick up some icelandic qt's if you're single. I have heard great things about foreigners getting with them, especially macho english speaking foreigners.
>>
>>1136213
Does this apply to Icelandic guys?
>>
>>1136219
Are you asking about getting with Icelandic guys? If you're a grill I suspect it is the same. I have no idea about gays.
>>
>>1136213
Yes, you probably have heard that. Because it was true in the sixties. Foreigners are hardly a new thing there now.
>>
>>1136247
>>1136213
I know a girl who lives there and she confirms that girls are pretty easy over there
>>
>>1136506
Oh, good for you that you consider 1 person to be a decent source.
>>
>>1136506
They're not easy, they're just not typical western bitches that play around. They hit on men, they don't tease. But don't think that yo beta ass is gonna get it there just because 'easy'.

It's called (real) feminism. They're not sluts.
>>
>>1136213
>I have heard great things about foreigners getting with them, especially macho english speaking foreigners.
This is a country that vote to kick out the foreigners with military bases for decades. They adore mingling with foreigners? Don't think you'll find it some paradise, but more like ambivalence. The only thing true is that alcohol is expensive for locals, and they'll gladly accept someone else buying.
>>
Bumping.
How is iceland during October? Is it too cold?
I have zero experience driving on snow, is it a deal breaker?
>>
>>1134782
The Golden Circle is pretty good but it isn't really worth going via 4x4 as the roads are very well paved around it.
>>
>>1136767
I did the Ring Road in late October and it was pretty decent weather. Not particularly great (but that's Iceland all year) and it only snowed twice up in the north which I personally enjoyed, Iceland looks beautiful in the snow.

If you're planning to do the Ring Road be wary though, get a decent car and snow tires. I pushed my luck with this shitty little Chevrolet Spark.
>>
>>1136782
Dont all the rentals give out spiked winter tires after september ends?
>>
>>1136539
>>1136540
lmao fuck off cucks, it is a decent source in a country of 300k people
>>
>>1136788
They may do, but I aren't sure - worth checking though!
>>
Try eat local psychedelic mushrooms can go to a strongman convention or gym
>>
in iceland right now. been here about a week, leaving in about a week.

started in reykjavik, got a 4x4, did some golden circle, south coast, a bit of east coast, currently in akureyri. going to base in myvatn for a couple nights, then cross the centre back to the southwest coast before flying out of reykjavik.

glacial lakes are gorgeous. waterfalls everywhere is quite pretty. one waterfall in 50 is fucking spectacular. gravel road hill climbs are a metric shit-ton of fun. puffins are pretty cute (saw one with a beakful of little fish get chased by a seagull, outflew him pretty neatly, nearly got the chip-junkie to kamikaze into a wave). the blue lagoon is pretty nice. geysers in geysir are really good to see. sulphurous steam spouting out of the ground in the northeast is quite a unique spectacle as well.

locals are quite friendly and helpful. everyone knows its bullshit expensive around here, nothing to do about it, so shop wisely & enjoy the good things. occasionally shelling out at a couple of highly-rated restaurants was a delight to the tastebuds. humar is icelandic for langoustine (which is sometimes called a lobster, but is about the size of a freshwater cray, and tastier than both) is served a dozen different ways around here, tripadvisor etc will help you pick a place matching your palate & budget.
>>
File: fr_20160713_043190.jpg (63 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
fr_20160713_043190.jpg
63 KB, 1000x563
reminder to keep it safe guys
a French tourist was found dead earlier today after falling through snow into a glacial river
his body was found pinned to the bottom of the river by the current so likely he drowned
pic is national search and rescue squad searching for him yesterday
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.