[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Long layover boredom
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: enter-the-void1.jpg (967 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
enter-the-void1.jpg
967 KB, 1920x1080
I'm travelling from Sydney to Helsinki but have a 5:30AM - 2PM layover in Haneda, and was hoping to spend a couple of hours in Akihabara to pass the time.

Is this doable?
Is it possible to leave the airport to just have a quick view of Japan?
How much yen should I have to enjoy a decent meal and possibly buy a non-animu souvenir?
Any recommendations on where to eat and what to get (maybe a daruma doll)?
>>
>>1131344
From Haneda to Akihabara is just a few minutes driving. By taxi, at 6:30AM (considering you'll be able to leave the airport just 1 hour after the plane landed) it shouldn't take you any longer than 20 minutes. By train it'll take a little longer because there are a reasonable number of stations in between.
The only problem is that most of the commerce in Japan starts working at 10AM, sometimes 11AM. And it seems like Akihabara is not that different.
Considering you should ideally be at the airport at least 2 hours before your flight, and that it will take you longer to get there during lunch time due to traffic, you'll probably want to leave by 11:30AM max (11AM to be safe).
So you'll have to leave just one hour after stores has opened. Don't know if you think it's worth the trouble. I certainly don't think it is.

Now, regarding the possibility of leaving the airport, I'm pretty sure you can do it even with a transit visa, but I'd check with the consulate to be sure because their word probably matters more than that of an anon from /trv/.
>>
>>1131460
Damn. You're right. I didn't factor in the traffic...
Is there any other place closer to the airport that you'd recommend checking out instead? I need to get food, at least, and not from the airport.

Also, which consulate do you mean - Japanese or Australian? Sorry I don't know much about this.
>>
>>1131482
You're better off asking in the Japan general.
If food price is your concern about eating in the airport, remember that you'll spend to leave and return to the airport plus the trouble of having to go out, find a place and return in time.

Also, consult with the consulate of the country you're traveling to. The country's consulate will say what citizens from other nationalities can and cannot do in their country, not the opposite.
>>
>>1131482
You need to check if it's the same plane or not after the layover.
No visa is required if you're an Aussie or a Finn, but they could decide to not let you out of the airport if they think you wouldn't have enough time to come back, or for various other reasons (very unlikely).
If it's not the same plane, it'll be easier.
>>
Thanks for the advice, guys. I will contact the consulate and check with them.

Cheers
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.