[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I explore the World, or at least travel my own country
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (226 KB, 758x1280) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
226 KB, 758x1280
How do I explore the World, or at least travel my own country (USA) if I have a full time job with only 2 weeks of vacation? I'd love to venture to either Cali or to Hawaii. What do.
>>
Avoid major responsibilities in life such as kids. Don't get loans, don't owe money you can't pay back immediately. You get a job and live under your means, save up, quit your job and travel.

Easy.
>>
File: image.gif (4 MB, 250x141) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
4 MB, 250x141
>>1131287
Thank you so much
>>
File: 1466712864701-1252036084.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
1466712864701-1252036084.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>1131286
Match vacation up with holidays to extend that 2 weeks. Break up that 2 weeks for two trips. Travel within your region on holidays. Negotiate for more vacation days, vice, or in addition to, a raise when the time comes.

You my initial advice, 4th of July is on a Monday, if you started a vacation this Friday when you left work, then you have 10 days for vacation. Also it's advantageous for someone in your situation to do packaged tours. www.gate1travel.com has a bunch of reasonable ones which include free days in the area you are in. Also Groupon has a lot. In fact, I found gate 1 on Groupon. To use the ever so popular Thailand as an example. Gate1 has a 10 day central Thailand tour for as low as $1199 with air. That includes your travel days. $629 without air.

>posting this from my cubicle

But I actually get a month off each year, stackable, but you can't enter a new year with more than 60 days. I am actually going to lose a couple days this year. I was planning on flying out to California around the 4th, but just got put on a big project that lasts 3 months. Already bought the tickets. Thank goodness for travel insurance. Doing the 9 day in November, but staying for an extra 2 weeks on my own.
>>
I traveled to a lot of countries mainly thanks to the fact I did not opt for kids. Fuck those, honestly.
>>
>>1131297
I just abandon mine with their grandparents, most of the time. Only take them on shorter vacations. Like 4 days or less.

But what do kids have to do with traveling with only 2 weeks of vacation a year?
>>
>>1131286
The truth is most people can't juggle a full time job and enjoy travelling as a hobby. Exceptions are programmer "digital nomads" and airline staff among a few others.

What I do is work a pleb job in a supermarket or fast food restaurant for about 8 months, save my money and then quit to travel for the other 4 months. It's not difficult to find a job that pays at least $10 an hour so I have no fear of quitting. I don't splurge on luxuries like booze or vidya while I'm working but I don't live in poverty either.
>>
>>1131286
2 weeks as in 14 days or 10 days?
Either way, taking a week off (mon-fri) gives you a 9 day break including weekends to either side.

If you count bank holidays or whatever you call them in the USA, then say you get a monday off, you can take a 4 day holiday and get 9 days. Check your company policy on this stuff.

If you take holiday breaks and want cheap flights go to an offseason country (for example go to south america during the summer in the USA, it's winter there and cold, but cheap flights, accommodation and activities)

No idea what part of the states you're in, but you can road trip to Cali if you're not too far away, then you have your car and can travel about easily. Alternatively fly or bus to Cali and rent a car.
Stay in airbnb for cheaper places where you can cook your own food (save a shitload) and can get local recommendations for what to do/see/eat, or couchsurfing (even cheaper).

>>1131303
I'm (>we're) planning on having kids in the next year or two, and this is my plan. Dump them with the family or bring the family along so they can babysit while we wander
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.