[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hungary
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 1
File: promo_999_en.jpg (53 KB, 970x300) Image search: [Google]
promo_999_en.jpg
53 KB, 970x300
Hello, /trv/

I'm planning to go to Hungary in August of 2017. My two friends are leaving from Florida and I'm leaving from California.

Can this place be done with a 3k USD budget? (Including airfare, I hace found tickets for 800 usd even during summer months)

With this budget, will I be a richfag and be able to buy good meals and have fun?

Also, I want to take dsy trips outside of Hungary to Bratslavia and Vienna. I looked, and it seems like this can be had for 40-50 dollars round trip.

Are the trains reliable to go around the country? Is the Danube cruises worth it?
Also, which card should I use for taking cash out for ATMs. Should I carry cash as well?
>>
>>1130710
If you really want to go cheapo try to get a flight to Amsterdam via WOW Airlines and then take the train from Eindhoven and from there Ryanair flight to Budapest.

Budget of 3k should be more than enough depending on how long you stay. You can live on 3k for months in Eastern Europe if you want to.

Budapest is a good place as a hub because Vienna, Bratislava, Belgrade, Zagreb etc. are all close. If you get bored with Budapest just hop on a train.

Trains are good now, the only train that isn't very modern is the old Serbian train to goes from Budapest to Belgrade. But Bratislava and Vienna should be nice modern trains.

Also do carry some cash, maybe about €20 worth of Florint.
>>
>>1130711
I will make sure I dont carry much cash. We plan to stay for 14-16 days.

Also, I dont really understand the itinerary you gave me...sorry. Maybe a typo?
>>
>>1130711
Nvm about my last post. Its actually more expensive to fly into Amsterdam and do the train and RyanAir and shit
>>
>>1130736
Really? I would imagine booking via wow months in advance would make it very cheap. Though my asumption was that you'd pay 800 usd one way. If it's round trip then I understand.

I'm going to Budapest next week, so perhaps if you don't mind this could become a Hungary/Budapest general?

I'll contribute when I get back. Staying in Budapest for six days before moving onto Belgrade.
>>
>>1130747
I wouldn't mind if this was the Hungary general.

Where are you staying in Budapest?
>>
If you're going to Bratislava and Vienna make sure to get buses from Student Agency, they're cheap as fuck (8 euro from Budapest to Vienna).
>>
The Railjet trains from Budapest to Vienna are very good. If you book in advance at ÖBB (www.oebb.at) and fix dates, special deals are worth the money. Regarding the Danube cruise: I'd take a look into the cycling option. The cycle route from Germany to Vienna is very popular, as far as I know it's way less crowded after Vienna. Cheap and potentially very fun option to get around.
>>
What's the best (cheapest/fastest) way to get from Budapest to Sarajevo? Is it worth making a detour to Bosnia if I was going from Hungary to Croatia?
>>
>>1130901
Even if im not a student?....
>>
>>1131128
It's just the name of the company.
>>
Budapester here, ama
>>
>>1130899
Infinity Hostel

Not looking forward to it desu, seems like a shithole. No idea what I was thinking when booking.
>>
>>1131252
Why do you say that? It looks like a city with lots to see with a lot less meme tourists running around (compared to Paris, Amsterdam, Rome).
>>
>>1131168
Wow, this shit is cheap!

My friend says we should make a one-two day trip to Salzburg and Hastall.

Any insight?
>>
>>1131173
What are some areas to avoid?

I honestly like some tourist bullshit. But I'm talking in terms of bad areas...
>>
>>1131339
I didn't mean the city itself, I meant the hostel. I am very much looking forward to the city itself.
>>
>>1131342
well, the district 8 of Budapest in general has a pretty bad rep, mostly because it's the most gypsy and shitskin infected area of the city, sprinkled with crumbling old buildings and a lot of crime - but these are just the parts situated further outside the limit of the city's so called Grand Boulevard (or Nagykörút in Hungarian), which is where Budapest's main tramlines, number 4 and 6 operate

don't be afraid to venture further out the city's main tourist areas, there's something worth checking out in almost all parts of Budapest, from Roman ruins to beautiful cemeteries full of art nouveau tombs, romantic riverside bistros and breath-taking lookouts 540 metres above the city
>>
>>1131342
District 8 (Józsefváros), I actually rented an apartment there and had to leave after the first night because the building was falling apart.
>>
>>1130901
>8 euro from Budapest to Vienna
Noice

Also interested in >>1131340
>>
>>1131340
Salzburg is a nice place, I visited it once because a friend was working theree and had a wonderful time. Two days there are enough to see everything as it's a fairly small city.
>>
Bump!
I plan on visiting a friend in October in Budapest.

I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to get there from the USA. Flights into BUD are expensive. I'm wondering if there's a way I could get into Europe on a cheaper flight and switch airlines or take a train to get there cheaper and save money
>>
>>1131339
>a lot less meme tourists running around

maybe that was true 5+ years ago but the last few years BP has become a really popular destination
sure there are less dorists than paris or rome but the area of interest is a lot smaller and not nearly as spread out over the city. also it's a very cheap city so the percentage of fucking annoying "meme tourists" (=drunken working class dipshits) is a lot higher
so unless you plan to visit run-down commieblocks and gypsy shantytowns, you will see more dorists than locals

if you go during the school year then there will be a lot of local students around as the best universities in the country are located near to dorist-heavy "party" spots

>>1131342
on the pest side just stay inside nagykörút at night and avoid gypsies the buda side is more residential and less spooky I guess. it's really not that dangerous of a city imo. just don't act like an oblivious retard tourist and you'll be fine.
>>
>>1133722
In general it's cheapest going to Europe by going to one of the biggest, closest airports, usually Gatwick or Frankfurt. Europe has a lot of discount carriers, so once you get on the continent flights are a lot cheaper, to make a connecting flight.

There are charter flights to Europe too. Kind of regionally dependent though.

If you book within a month you could get the cost down to $800.

As said before, check out WOW air. They do real discount stuff trans Atlantic stuff.
>>
Budapest has a lot of stag dos and all of that, more than you may expect.
>>
>>1132013
>District 8 (Józsefváros)

It's not all bad, of course. The whole area around the 4-6 tram is alright, and they have that nice library close to the Nemzeti Museum, there's plenty of nice little squares in that area. Just avoid it at night, yeah.
>>
>>1130710
I live in downtown BP and I go out a lot, I'm no richfag by any means, but I'd say I'm pretty well off. 3k USD is 5 months worth of my salary. So yeah a vacation "can be done".

And there aren't really many high end restaurants or clubs where you'd have to spend a lot of money even if you wanted to. Good stuff is not a lot more expensive than shitty stuff, you just gotta find the good places (foursquare + ask locals who don't look like working class bydlo fucks). It's a great "lower middle class" city I guess is one way to put it.
>>
>>1133989
What are the actual costs of living there? How much do you have to have per month not to feel poor compared to the locals?

Also, why the hell are all your buildings made so that they have windows into a courtyard and a weird as fuck layout with a gallery on wooden struts. How to find a decent place that has some sort of a terrace or balcony or something and is still in the middle of the city and not in one of the commie block suburbs?
>>
>>1134050
>What are the actual costs of living there? How much do you have to have per month not to feel poor compared to the locals?
I inherited an apartment and I work in the city at a good location so I don't need a car either. I eat out fairly often (nothing fancy though) and go to concerts / get fucked up at pubs or clubs about once every week or so. This way I spend about 3-400usd every month. Obviously this doesn't include clothes, anime hugpillows, whatever.
If you don't have your own place, you'll need about double that though, which is around or maybe even higher than the median salary in Hungary.

>Also, why the hell are all your buildings made so that they have windows into a courtyard and a weird as fuck layout with a gallery on wooden struts.
They were built as homes for upper class people. One floor in a building was home to one family. But then the gommies and poverty came so they started separating one home into fucking 8-10 separate homes, that's why they have such fucked up shapes and bad noise isolation.
Solution is you just buy a home at a newly built apartment complex. But since the middle of the city is already considered upper class even with these shitty 150 year old chopped homes, those new projects usually tend to be luxurious, high-end projects instead of affordable shit. Affordable apartments get sold out years before they're even built.
>>
>>1134051
So 800 a month?!?!
Shit nigger, here I am wondering if 1000 will be enough for a 2 week vacation
>>
>>1134051
What's a reasonable price for a decent place per square meter? And what's the best online place to look for it?
>>
>>1134056
*I mean to actually buy, not rent. Do you have that "communal owned" thing like the Czech Republic where you have to take care not to just buy "rights to live in the apartment" instead of the actual place itself because some buildings haven't been fully privatized yet? I explained it poorly but you might know what I mean.
>>
>>1134054
yeah more than enough have fun lad

>>1134056
hard to say as BP housing market is fucking bananas right now. I'd say for in a good location (in downtown area and away from gypsies) a a really small 1 person apartment ~30sq m in shitty but liveable condition maybe around 50k€? For twice that you can definitely get something really nice, probably even newly built at a similar size and location. I don't know about larger homes but pretty sure those ones will go way the fuck up because of new tax shit for families or something I don't know. Gommieblocks are close, 10-20 mins away from downtown but are much cheaper per sq m. If you're a foreigner you don't want this because no one will speak English around those parts.

you can browse pretty easily here (just for reference as I'm pretty sure most of these have already been sold)
http://otthonterkep.hu/ingatlanterkep?s=elado

>>1134058
I know what you mean and BP definitely has that but I don't know the costs sorry. And I'm pretty sure almost all of those are in gommieblocks.
>>
>>1134060
If you're still here, can you tell me if Budapest in general has a problem with cockroaches or bed bugs or similar in the center?

I'm from a neighboring country that I shall not name not to ruin its /trv/ reputation, which has buildings from basically the same time period in the center, and they're absolutely infested with cockroaches, because they either have trash inside in a trash room, or outside in a container which attracts roaches from the sewer and it's a fucking nightmare. Even the good newly built and renovated buildings get them.
>>
>>1134145
I've lived in BP my entire life and never seen or heard of any sort of cockroach problem mentioned by anyone. I guess it could be a thing though. There are for sure a bunch of working class scum large families living among the nicer upper-middle class young adults and you can't really do much about that.
>>
Going to Hungary in October to meet a girl I met online in person for the first time

Will I get raped and murdered?
>>
>>1134364
>to meet a girl I met online in person
Where are you from?
>>
>>1134460
Uzbekistan
>>
>>1134460
USA

>>1134473
Kek, no
>>
>>1134542
>USA
Enjoy your green card whore I guess.
>>
>>1134557
I'm visiting her in Hungary, not the other way around.
She's not getting a green card out of this
>>
>>1134364
>>1134564
So you're spending a thousand bucks on a plane ticket to see a chick you "met online"...in the country that invented livejasmin? Sure you thought this thing through buddy?
>>
>>1134600
she's not "a chick", she's "the one"
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.