[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Scotland
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: Scotland.jpg (2 MB, 1747x1386) Image search: [Google]
Scotland.jpg
2 MB, 1747x1386
Hey /trv/

Thinking of going to Scotland in early August with my GF. We're both Eurofags, fairly well travelled, been to most of Europe, but not Scotland. I've always sorta wanted to go (I've been to Ireland and southern England), and I like whisky and the funny accent, and that seemed reason enough to start researching it.

We're looking at early August, which is not my ideal travel time (tourist hordes everywhere), but my work is based on multi-year contracts and so happens my current contract is up at the end of August before the new one kicks in in September, and holiday days can't carry over. So now or never.

I've got a maximum of three weeks, though the GF only has 10-11 days, so that's what we're looking at...

Is it worthwhile to spend a 2 or 3 days in both Edinburgh and Glasgow (probably starting in one, ending in the other)? Glasgow gets shit on a lot it seems, so what does one do there? I know fringe will be on in Edinburgh during August.

What about some of the more rural or remote parts of the country? I realize this obviously depends where we go. I've tried to research some places (small towns, tiny port towns, etc), Outer/Inner Hebrides, the Highlands, Orkney, Shetland?... hard to make heads or tails of what would be 'better'. Is it worth the venture to Shetland or Orkney? I kind of like remote places and the viking connection makes me tingle.

We like hiking and bicycling though, so somewhere to get your classic craggy cliffs and green hills? Bagpipes and castles are OK, but not our top priority.

Was also thinking of some whiskey touring (prob just a day max, as my girlfriend is only vaguely interested). I like Highlands and Speysides, nothing too peaty. Hard to choose a favourite, maybe Balvenie at the moment, but I like others.

Hardmode: we won't be driving or renting a car, so we'd be reliant on public transit.

Any recommendations? I've thought about rough itineraries which I could elaborate on, but looking for anon's experiences.
>>
I think Orkney is worth seeing, at least if you are interested in archaeologic things like stone circles, barrows, and brochs. You can get a bus from Inverness to the ferry at John O'Groats, and then back on a bus to Kirkwall, and travel around the islands by bus and ferry.
But if you only have 10-11 days, you might prefer the Hebrides.
>>
>>1130700
>But if you only have 10-11 days, you might prefer the Hebrides.

Which also have a Viking connection, as well as having the highest proportion of Scottish Gaelic
speakers in the world, which is possibly of interest if you like languages.
>>
File: storr.jpg (309 KB, 800x534) Image search: [Google]
storr.jpg
309 KB, 800x534
>>1130695
>so somewhere to get your classic craggy cliffs and green hills

Skye's pretty good.
>>
>>1130708
>>1130700
ancient rock walls are something I can easily geek out over. I like languages too. Is it possible to visit both say Skye or some other isle AND then Shetland and/or Orkney? All in 11 days, including Edinburgh or Glasgow? I'm just not sure how long it takes to get around. I've read that there are pretty regular ferries through the Shetlands/Orkney via Aberdeen.

Can anyone sell Glasgow to me?

>>1130709
Noice.
>>
>>1130799
Glasgow... it's great for a fight....
Edinburgh is fantastic though.

Would recommend Glencoe and FortWilliam
>>
So you don't realllllly 'need' to see Glasgow if visiting Scotland?

I don't mind grit, but I don't need poverty tourism just because.

>>1130834
>Glencoe
noted. Looks awesome.
>>
You could drop Glasgow as it is far inferior to Edinburgh for the tourist.
>>
>>1130799
Skip Glasgow, it's shit.
Also just rent a car. You can get around pretty much everywhere by public transport but once you hit (most of) the islands it's much harder, plus you won't be able to visit the more remote areas.

I'd spend 3-4 days in Edinburgh
1 day trip to Tantallon Castle and North Berwick
1 day in St Andrews
2 days in Skye
1 day (or more if you like hiking) in Glen Coe
day trip to Isle of Staffa (Fingal's cave) and iona
Then the rest of the time on other islands. They all have their own appeal, have a look at them and see what you like.
>>
>>1131229
Oh and if you go to Skye you'll pass by Eilean Donan castle, which is quite nice. As is the MacLeod residence on Skye.
>>
>>1131229
I actually don't have a license. No dramatic story behind it, I just never bothered. Yea, I do kick myself sometimes. My girlfriend has one, but she doesn't like driving, isn't really a good driver, and the thought of driving on the left scares her. In a way, I'd prefer to but it's not going to happen.

Glen Coe looks pretty sweet, I think I've added it to my list. Skye as well, it looks diverse enough. I'll drop Glasgow for now. I'll actually be heading to Liverpool for work in October, and may have a few days afterwards to explore somewhere reasonably close.

- Is it possible to visit St.Andrews as a day trip from Edinburgh?
- Anyone been to Shetland or Orkney? Still wondering if they're worth it, as they'll take practically a day getting to/from.
>>
File: plan.png (239 KB, 464x354) Image search: [Google]
plan.png
239 KB, 464x354
>>1130695

I'm Scottish, and have been in most parts of the country.

I recommend Edinburgh, Stirling, Perth, Aberdeen, Inverness, Orkney, and if you like Orkney you can finish in Shetland.

Basically, just move in an anticlockwise way around the country.

You wont be hearing or seeing any gaelic except from the train signs, but Aberdeenshire has loads of ancient sights. You also should aim to see Loch Ness when you're north.

Glasgow can be very nice if you stay in the west end, but it's very poor. There's museums, art galleries, but it's mainly functional and not for tourists.

The vast majority of small towns aren't worth seeing, and depending on where you are, can be quite run down.

Public transport is very good. Heated trains with wifi along major lines. High prices though!

Whiskey tasting sessions will be easy to arrange in Edinburgh, and they'll be leaflets of typical tourist stuff in your hostel anyway.

Hope I've helped.
>>
>>1131302
You can get your license in no time, try. It'll be 100% worth it.

St Andrews is an easy day trip from Edinburgh
Never been to the shetlands, I've heard they're nice. The Orkneys are worth a visit if you have the time, but as you said it takes a while to get to and from them... Up to you obviously.

>>1131332
>August
>need heated trains
Also your trip makes him miss the whole West coast, and while I agree most of it is worth skipping there is a lot to see (glen coe, Skye, staffa in particular). Also the West is better for whisky overall, although Edradour on the East(ish) coast is 100% worth a visit, best whisky in Scotland in my opinion.
>>
>>1130709
>>so somewhere to get your classic craggy cliffs and green hills
>Skye's pretty good.
Uggh. I fucking hate those hills in CK2. Trying to move troops over them when some castle is being sieged on the other side is a nightmare.
>>
I'm brazilian and our economy is fucked up (1£ = 4,6 R$), how much would i spend in rural/castle tours?
>>
>>1130695
Anybody have experiences with the ghost/horror tours? Is "city of the dead" any good?
>>
How is Fringe? I know it's different every year, but is it actually worth visiting, or more tourist trap?
>>
Not op but im also heading scotland in late july/august fot 2 -3 weeks. Solo so wont be hiring a car so public transport. Same interests as op, hiking etc and im a p big /out/ guy. Ive done a lot of hiking in the sydney area (australian) but scotland has a completely different climate. Ive done a lot of mountain tramping in the new zealand south island so i dont mind the cold or the wet. Im also into scotch and like op, not too peaty kinds. Im also heading to sweden to visit friends afterwards so ideally i will be heading to newcastle at the end for a ferry to amsterdam so i can bus/train it to malmo.

What are some good hiking trails to hit up? Considering im super unfamilliar with climate, ill be sticking to trails but i dont want to have to deal with it being too crowded. If i was to go on a multi day hike, are there public cabins along some trails that i can camp out in like new zealand so i dont need to carry a tent? Considering no car, would a scotish rail pass be worth it or are coaches regular and cheap enough to consider as an option? Thanks all.
>>
>>1130695
Balvenie is a great pick. It's one of the few distilleries who still has an active maltfloor which you get to see, as well as a working cooperage. It's as complete as whisky tours get. It's not the prettiest stillhouse, but definitely good. And they offer amazing handfilled bottles you should definitely buy.

Another personal favorite would be Glenfarclas. Just because it's a sublime whisky by an independent fourth-generation family-owned distillery. They're very close together too.

I've seen over 50 distilleries, so if you need more tips just ask.

As for the rest of the country. Cairngorms National Park and Loch Lomond National Park ar musts. The western coastline from Oban to Glencoe to Fort William (Ben Nevis) to Malaig is amazing. Skye is even better, many great hikes. The North-eastern coastline from Inverness (The Black Isle) through Brora to Wick and Thurso is great too. Wick is a nice old fishing town. From there, visit The Orkney's. The Ring Of Brodgar or Skara Brea are good.
>>
>>1132181
not a tourist trap. it is such a big festival - literally hundreds and hundreds of events every day for a month, across over a thousand venues.

also i wouldn't call it a tourist trap. food and drink can be a little expensive but there's a reason some of the uk's best comedians acts (rowan atkinson, eddie izzard, billy connolly eg.) started here
>>
>>1130942
No you don't. Glasgow is a pretty cool city but you don't really need to be there for more than a day. It's so much better to just spend extra time in Edinburgh or going north to the Highland.

Also check out the banshee labyrinth, it's a bar with a movie theater
>>
>>1133596
Banshees labyrinth is good, also the brass monkey has a cool movie bit in the back. Would also recommend Paradise Palms especially at night.
>>
>travelling to Scotland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciPu4DnKBuM
>>
>>1130695

If you come to Aberdeen you can meet the sleeping, kilted lad in your picture.

He's the barman at the Mither Tap.
>>
>>1133596
lol watched ghost busters there with my ex once. Good times.

Banshee is great.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.