[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some must-do things in Portland? I might be traveling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
File: whitestag2576.jpg (907 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
whitestag2576.jpg
907 KB, 1280x1024
What are some must-do things in Portland? I might be traveling there for a few days. Any quick recommendations would be appreciated greatly.

As an aside, is Voodoo donuts really all that? Just want the inside scoop.
>>
voodoo is overhyped shitty grocery store donuts and you have to wait in line for three hours to get them. pass
>>
>>1129964
>that dum sine

PortLand does not even have zebras.
>>
voodoo's hype is based off their gimmicks (i.e. cap'n crunch donuts) and not the actual quality of their donuts. i was disappointed. and the wait was unreasonably long.
>>
File: 1461302468346.jpg (19 KB, 146x194) Image search: [Google]
1461302468346.jpg
19 KB, 146x194
>what are some must-do things in Portland

Leave Portland
>>
>>1130125
>voodoo's hype is based off their gimmicks
This was obvious the instant I read about them. I say "kooky" and "sassy" names for doughnuts but not anything that would suggest an obsessive devotion to the bakery tradition, or consistent commitment to confectionery quality.

They fell for the oldest trick in the hipster hand book. I'm surprised they don't sell a beer-nut, which would be a donut with a can o PBR in the middle. bout a dozen of them in a box that has "hand crafted" printed on the outside.
>>
>>1129964
The saturday market is pretty dope.

lived in oregon almost my whole life and I actually can't think of that much to do. voodoo's a wash.

Oh. there's a place called Por Que No. They make mexican food. It's easily the best Mexican you'll ever have bar none. Also they make a watermelon jalapeno juice that tastes great.
>>
>>1129964

Powell's books if you wanna see the largest independent bookstore in the world. Books are relatively cheap there, too.

Japanese gardens near the zoo if you're a weeb and into that kind of shit.
>>
>>1129987
come on, they're at least above average.
>>
File: NO FUK U.jpg (48 KB, 499x450) Image search: [Google]
NO FUK U.jpg
48 KB, 499x450
>>1130197
>beer-nut
>yfw i steal that idea and make a hundred million dollars

>>1131035
no. they're literally gas station tier, just with gimmicky toppings.
>>
They're really really good fresh. If you go, just ask what's coming out of the oven.

The ODB is my favorite. I had it before I left town and it was so good
>>
Powell's Book Store
River Side bike path
Rose Garden
Japanese Garden
Portland City Grill (I'd you've got the dosh)
Timbers game
Oregon Zoo
OMSI after dark

Voodoo jumped the shark, you could literally drive to the Eugene voodoo and buy a donut faster than waiting in line for pdx.
>>
OP here. On my first day here in Portland. Checked out the Tin Shed for breakfast. The French toast there is phenomenal. Checked out powells bookstore, walked around to voodoos. The line wasn't too bad. The wait was maybe 20-25 minutes. Got the old dirty bastard and the Memphis something. The dough on the odb is indeed gas station tier, but still enjoyable for the toppings, the other one was a fritter and was way better. Worth it since the line was short. Will probably check out Mississippi st next
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 300x300
>>1129964
The Oregon countryside has the most beautiful scenery you'll see in the US in my opinion. When I visited I could stop off at random trails along the highway and have the time of my life. I highly recommend you do this.
>>
Blue Star donuts are a lot better
>>
>>1131245
>Powell's Book Store
Is that the Women and Women First Feminist Bookstore?
>>
>>1131345
Portland has amazing food. That's one benefit of it being a hipster paradise. Other than that I recommend visiting the gardens.
>>
>>1131606
Fucking this.
Also, eat at Fire on the Mountain, Portabello, Sizzle Pie and A N D cafe. Multnomah Falls is pretty tight, or just explore the Columbia Gorge area in general. Downtown is over run with homeless, especially in the summer.
>>
>>1131363
I'd disagree on "most beautiful," but it is pretty damned good.
>>
op here again. Got to see plenty of cool, cool stuff in my three days here. Blue star is indeed leagues better than voodoo. Goodness gracious. You guys don't fuck around when it comes to food. I don't think I've had a bad mean while I was here. I got to hike silver falls with a local friend yesterday. It was absolutely stunning. It makes hiking in SoCal look like trash in comparison. There's no drought up here! All around it's been phenomenal. I would highly recommend visiting Portland to anyone who likes good food, wacky culture and friendly people.
>>
File: 1438041818530.jpg (326 KB, 700x600) Image search: [Google]
1438041818530.jpg
326 KB, 700x600
>>
File: what_the.png (74 KB, 213x233) Image search: [Google]
what_the.png
74 KB, 213x233
>>1132056

Oh yeah, because the Willamette and Colombia rivers total aren't navigable in any way shape or form.
>>
>>1132056
Visit Portland Maine a lot. Its expensive, lots of nice restaurants and head shops, Peaks Island isnt that exciting, and theres fucking hipsters and man buns everywhere. The bars arent great either. No one gives a shit whether or not the name matches the geographical location. Go kill yourself.
>>
>>1131607
nah that's mother foucaults
>>
>>1132056
>http://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/sites/rita.dot.gov.bts/files/publications/national_transportation_statistics/html/table_01_57.html

2013 tonnage via water
>#28 portland, or
23,400,000 tons
>#45 portland, me
12,000,000 tons
>>
>>1129987
I went twice lol, I never had to wait for more than a few minutes. They were dirt cheap and had two as a meal. I would check them out.
>>
>>1131245

Oregon Zoo
Japanese Garden
Powell's Book Store
Voodoo
Do the Portland Walking tours, ghost and underground.
Saturday Market
>>
Somewhat pricey, but I seriously recommend checking out the Picnic House in downtown Portland. Some of the best fried chicken I've ever had.
>>
>>1129964
If you ask me Portland fucking sucks and you should spend your time in the beautiful Oregon countryside instead
>>
>>1131345
>>1129964
go to rovente's pizzaria

best pizza ive had
>>
ITT more anons reply after O.P left the city than while he was there
>>
>>1132656
nobody asked you
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.