[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Foreign currency collections
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 16
File: moneys.jpg (1 MB, 2028x1100) Image search: [Google]
moneys.jpg
1 MB, 2028x1100
Do you collect foreign currency? Post your collection. Pic related, it's mine. From left to right:

>Top row: Kenyan shilling (50 and 100), Belarusian ruble (50, 500)
>2nd: Lithuanian litas (10, 20), Russian ruble, Thai baht
>3rd: UAE dirham, Qatari riyal, Euro, Ukrainian hryvnia
>4th: Swedish krone, Romanian leu (1, 5), Moldovan leu (1, 50)
>Bottom row: Jordanian dinar, Lebanese lira, Polish zloty (10, 50)

I've also been to Denmark, Israel and the UK, but I don't have their respective currencies, for some reason. I also went to the breakaway republic of Transnistria when I was in Moldova, and I curse myself to this day for not bringing back the based Transnistrian ruble.

Fun facts: 50 Belarusian rubles is a ridiculously low amount of money, a grand total of $0.002. Indeed, Belarus is one of few countries with only notes, no coins, in circulation. Lithuanian litas was replaced by the Euro last year, and next month the old Swedish notes will be replaced by new ones. The three notes in the picture are the only notes I have that are, or will soon be, out of circulation.

tl;dr: Post your moneys collection.
>>
File: 2016-06-19 14.55.31.jpg (4 MB, 4000x2992) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-19 14.55.31.jpg
4 MB, 4000x2992
too much
>>
File: 33.jpg (179 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
33.jpg
179 KB, 960x720
I try to collect currency from every country I visit. I unfortunately forgot to save paper notes from Georgia, Iceland, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and a handful of other countries. However, I have a metric shit-ton of coins from those places and elsewhere.

I don't have any banknotes from anywhere I haven't visited, except for the single Russian ruble note, which a friend gave to me.
>>
>>1129338
This might be a good thread to post in rather then starting my own...

I'm about to start traveling and was thinking of ways to take unique mementos from all the countries and/or cities I visit.

I can think of a lot of obvious things, it all seems a little too cliche. I will probably keep a little bit their currency anyway, but that's not really the kind of memento that I am talking about.

Anyone have any ideas that will leave me feeling like I've actually got something worth keeping for life, not just some tacky souvenir or what not?
>>
>>1129790
Beer caps
>>
>>1129790
>don't want to collect currency
>posts in currency collection thread

Good call lad. Anyway, I like to take a picture of myself in every city I visit, in front of something memorable there, that way you're always guaranteed a souvenir. I don't know if that's the kind of "memento" you want, but it works for me. I used to collect magnets, but I was constantly disappointed when half of the places I visited didn't have anything, or the shops were closed due to holidays or low season
>>
>>1129338
Moldovan leu looks like Monopoly money.
The rest is nice.
>>
>>1129827
Yeah man, we've all gotta have mementos.

For instance I try to get an STD from a local girl everywhere I go, and leave behind bastard children.
>>
File: 20150927_131327.jpg (5 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20150927_131327.jpg
5 MB, 4128x2322
>>
I don't know why I didn't think to do that, but it's a nice idea. Where do you keep them?

I still haven't changed my Philippine Pesos or US Dollars. Which denominations do you keep? The cheapest ones, presumably.
>>
I have a bag full of city maps. Mostly free maps you get in a tourist info or a hotel, but some are better maps I bought here and there. Now what with the smart phones and GPS I don't add much to it when I come back from my travels.

But I eye the bag with fear as I've no idea what to do with it next time I move to another country. It's just too much - weighs over 5kg already.
>>
File: 20160620_115820.jpg (8 MB, 3981x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160620_115820.jpg
8 MB, 3981x2988
I only collect currency from non-meme contries I've been to.
>>1130085
>>
>>1129790
I go to a lot of museums and art galleries, so try to get a map of the gallery or something of the sort. Plus I tend to get a post card of a piece of art I liked.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
I collect currency with dictators on them. I've never been to Iraq and don't particulary wish to go now but hay.
>>
>>1130093
Up until recently I only had my notes lying around in different drawers, but I intend to stick them up on my wall with that kind of adhesive gum thing. I keep the lowest denominations, but if the design is nice, I'm willing to keep higher denominations as well. The only note I wanted to take home but didn't was the 20 Jordanian dinar, which had a really sweet image of the Dome of the Rock on the backside. It was worth a whopping 28 USD though, so I found it way too expensive.
>>
File: 20160621_205525-1.jpg (2 MB, 1836x1570) Image search: [Google]
20160621_205525-1.jpg
2 MB, 1836x1570
I've got a fair amount roubles and kopeeks from my time in Russia. Even got myself a one kopeek which, from what Russians tell me, are now pretty hard to find. Got the memorial 10 roubles for Victory Day and a few others.
>>
I have a few North Korean Won. No clue what to do with it
>>
>>1130713
Have you actually been to North Korea? You could try selling it if you don't want them, I can imagine some people would pay a lot for it.
>>
>>1129338
you have the shitty side of the 20 kronor up.

Also we have new ones now, come back and spend money in stockholm pls

be my friend
>>
>>1130926
I like the backside best, and there's actually a story to it. I'm from Norway, and Nils Holgerson, which is depicted, was one of my favorite stories as a child. We travelled a lot to Sweden back then, and I used one of the 20 kronor as a bookmark in my travel journals for years. When I heard they were going to be replaced, I went from Oslo to Sweden just to get my hands on some of the old notes. I don't care about the new notes or the image of Selma Lagerlöf, the image of Nils on the goose's neck evokes childhood memories.

tl;dr: no.
>>
>>1130845
no. Relative of mine used to be a flight attendant and I found them it a coat pocket.

I actually looked into selling them, but since the US has a total embargo with North Korea, the money is considered an embargoed good. Therefore ebay, paypal, and other established businesses dont want any part of it.

Apparently they were sold at an airport in South Korea as bringbacks from the Korean War.
>>
>>1131087
I think they're illegal to even take out of North Korea. It's a shame you can't sell them, nonetheless it's a cool item to have
>>
There's a coin store near my old home, so I collected a shitload of foreign currency from them. I can't find my book with all the notes in sleeves, otherwise I'd upload pics. Some of the more enjoyable notes I have are:

-1 North Korean won from 1947 (as well as one from 1978)
-10 and 20-Zimbabwean dollar notes, from back before the economic crisis (also have a $100 trillion dollar note from the period of hyperinflation)
-Lots of different African currencies. My favorite would have to be a note for 1 Ethiopian Birr, a 50 Somali shilling note, and 5 Zaires
-A post-Iranian Revolution note from 1979 or 1980, which instead of having a new design just has the Shah's face stamped over.
-A 10 Nazi reichsmarks note
-Cambodian riels printed directly after Vietnam's occupation of the country in 1979

>>1130187

Currencies from dictatorships are really interesting to me. What I really want to find are notes from Democratic Kampuchea (the Khmer Rogue did print currency, though they never circulated it).
>>
>>1131087
>and other established businesses dont want any part of it.

>>1132224 here. I don't know how they got them (they told me people just come in and sell them, and they don't ask about it), but the coin store I buy my foreign currency of them has a fair number of North Korean notes, including ones from the 2000s, all in uncirculated condition (aside from the 1947 one I mentioned). They even have a collection of sheets of North Korean notes inside a tube that NK released to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the Korean War.
>>
>>1132225
>I buy my foreign currency of them

*I buy my foreign currency from. Was distracted when I typed that.
>>
>>1132224
Even though I like to only collect from countries I've been to, your collection sounds crazy awesome. If you find your book, I think we would all love to see some pics! I'm especially curious about the Iranian note with the stamped Shah.
>>
I don't collect them, as such, but I have a small jar of misc. coinage because local money changers don't take coins. It's vaguely handy for repeat trips, but these days I try to get rid of as many coins as possible before flying home.
>>
File: NorthKoreanWon.jpg (69 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
NorthKoreanWon.jpg
69 KB, 640x480
>>1132342

I looked for it, but to no avail (I forget where I put it). However, I used to upload pictures of the money I bought to Facebook, so I'd be happy to post a few of them (the grey bar obscures the name of the store's website. I'm just paranoid and don't want to give hints about where I live). This is of the 1978 100 North Korean won note I mentioned, the note which kicked off my collection.

>inb4 comments about the shirt

It was a gift from family visiting Jamaica when I was a teenager, and it breathes super well so I still wear it.
>>
>>1132590
I see nothing wrong with your shirt desu. Also nice note.
>>
File: Zaire.png (571 KB, 640x481) Image search: [Google]
Zaire.png
571 KB, 640x481
>>1132880

Thanks. Keeping up with the dictatorship theme, here's 5 Zaires.
>>
>>1132917
I like how they named the currency after the name of the country.

"That would be five United Kingdoms please"
>>
>>1132918
>euros
>>
>>1132918

I'd be happy to dump more if other people are interested and it's not at risk of not being /trv/-related.
>>
>>1132960
Well, I'm interested, but this is /trv/, I'm afraid you won't get a lot of "interest" on such a slow board. Please post what you have
>>
>>1133286
>Please post what you have
For what it's worth, I second this.
>>
>>1133286
>>1134002

Costa Rican colones. This is one of my favorite notes. Costa Rica's currency is beautiful.
>>
File: EmergencyNote.jpg (57 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
EmergencyNote.jpg
57 KB, 640x480
>>1134012

This is an "emergency" note from Japanese-occupied Philippines. These were issued by the Philippine government-in-exile in order to undermine the official Japanese-issued currency. They were typically printed from makeshift materials by local banks.
>>
File: Kyats.jpg (61 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Kyats.jpg
61 KB, 640x480
>>1134014

Burmese kyats, with Aung San on the front.
>>
Neat, I like the idea of collecting dictator bills, doesn't seem like too expensive of a hobby either.
>>
File: Lei.png (536 KB, 640x481) Image search: [Google]
Lei.png
536 KB, 640x481
>>1134059

I really wish I could find my full book. It'd make uploading a lot quicker and easier, and there are a lot of non-dictatorship notes that are really interesting.

In the meantime, here are some Romanian lei from 1999, from when they first switched to polymer notes.
>>
>>1134012
>>1134014
>>1134016
>>1134234

Love the images man. Coolest collection in thread so far. Hope you find your book!
>>
File: Reichsmarks.jpg (55 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Reichsmarks.jpg
55 KB, 640x480
>>1134708

Thanks! In the meantime, Nazi reichsmarks.
>>
File: CommieZloty.png (1 MB, 1278x479) Image search: [Google]
CommieZloty.png
1 MB, 1278x479
>>1134750

Zloty from Cold War-era Poland.
>>
>>1134750
Who's the guy on the note?
>>
>>1129338
Where are you from? I might send you some Israeli bills or coins
>>
File: IMG_20160518_171543.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160518_171543.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>1134750
Related, saw them somewhere in Bologna, but decided against buying used Nazi stamps.
>>
>>1135734
That would be really cool of you bro. I'm from Norway. I could send you some Norwegian kroner in exchange if you want :)
>>
>>1135848
How can you contact me or I contact you
>>
>>1135850
Do you have an e-mail, real or fake, I can contact you on maybe? I'm sure there's better ways to do it, but I'm not good with computer :DDD
>>
>>1135852
Give me your email
>>
>>1135854
Created a fake e-mail address. You can send to [email protected].
>>
>>1135861
Sent
>>
>>1129338
>Do you collect foreign currency?
Not since 1980 really did I find it cool.
I blow the last of it by tipping the hotel maid well, the beggar on the street that I saw every single day, or in the airport on the way out for food stuffs that I enjoy enough to want to take home with me (chocolate always suffices). If it's a significant amount of cash, I might buy duty free booze, or even jewelry especially if a native stone of significant rarity that it's worth paying airport prices. To me it's all better souvenirs than old currency that loses the value and which I can see online whenever.
>>
>>1135792

I understand the hesitancy, but I wouldn't worry about it. It's not like you can financially support the regime, and having Nazi stamps is the sort of thing that can be explained as historical interest. The store where I buy my currency from once got an actual used Nazi flag in (as in it was actually from Nazi Germany 70 years ago), and that was something I had to decide against, because that could so easily be misconstrued.

>>1135308
Just some guy. The Aryan ideal.
>>
>>1136002
If I found a flag like that, I'd buy it straight away, even though I'm hardly nazi. I just love politically shady stuff. Do you remember how much it cost?
>>
>>1136002
>I understand the hesitancy, but I wouldn't worry about it. It's not like you can financially support the regime
I'm the guy that posted the pic. It's not ideological opposition per se, it's just that I wouldn't be able to justify spending almost €20 for essentially used pieces of paper. I've never been interested by philately, I just thought the stamps were a funny sight.
>>
>>1136989
>Do you remember how much it cost?

Several hundred dollars. Another reason why I was dissuaded from buying it.
>>
>>1137027
I imagined it would be fairly pricey. Still, if it's authenticity was guaranteed, I would be willing to cash out... Like I said, I love shady collectables
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.