[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I will be heading to Singapore and Malacca in July. Looking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: singapore.jpg (249 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
singapore.jpg
249 KB, 1024x682
I will be heading to Singapore and Malacca in July.

Looking for things to do that aren't the same boring tourist things that come up on every site when you google 'things to do in x'.

I want to get off the tourist path as much as possible, see what the local see, etc...
>>
Prepare for humidity.
>>
>>1128625
I'll get over it
>>
Anyone have opinions on Pulau Ubin? Is it the best traditional/natural place of its kind in Singapore?
>>
In Singapore, visit the Orchard Towers mall at night. Also known as the Four Floors of Whores.
>>
>>1128747
Not really interested in that to be honest, at very least I'm not going to put that much effort into it.
>>
>>1128631
Yeah most likely. Head there, rent a bike for the day and ride around the island.
Good times.
>>1128628
Hit up Geylang for some food, great pork belly satay there.
Try swee choon in jalan besar for some good dimsum.
There's a pretty cool ww2 museum near the airport, mostly about the Japanese occupation.
Thing is, even the locals do touristy things. They literally wander around malls aimlessly because in essence there is very little to do for leisure in singapore.
>>
File: Fish_head_curry_peranakan_z.jpg (728 KB, 1701x959) Image search: [Google]
Fish_head_curry_peranakan_z.jpg
728 KB, 1701x959
Go to a hawker centre and have fish head curry. It's the best curry I've ever had.
>>
>>1128933
>There's a pretty cool ww2 museum near the airport, mostly about the Japanese occupation.
You mean Changi Prison Museum? Its on the same bus route that I will take to the boat for Pulau Ubin, so I will be doing them on the same day.
Know of an other cool ww2 stuff? Anything along the lines of the Woodlands tunnels which have now been sealed sadly
>>
>>1129006
does the head add flavor or something? I'm not digusted by a fish head, but I also don't imagine you eat the head and fin and teeth

is it like parsley?
>>
>>1129008
>does the head add flavor or something?
Yes, heads and other odd parts are used to flavor broths/stocks all the time but they usually get removed.
>is it like parsley?
It's coriander or cilantro.
>>
>>1129006
Singapore has excellent food options, don't recommend that rubbish.
>>
>>1129042
Any suggestions?
>>
>>1129007
Bit touristy, but you considered the Battle Box on Fort Canning Hill?

http://www.battlebox.com.sg
>>
>>1128748
Worth checking out even if you don't bring a girl back to the hotel. Go to a bar, and you will feel like a rockstar. Literally girls will be vying for your attention.
>>
In Malacca, there is a small island off the coast, with a huge new mosque on it. Looking at the pictures, they wanted to build something like Manhattan there, but something went wrong, and now the place is basically a ghost town similar to ghost towns of China. That's probably the weirdest and most off-the-beaten path thing I found in Malacca. Overall it's a very pleasant city, I spent like a week there and would come back.
>>
>>1129212
Pulau Melaka?
>>
I'm planning on visiting Singapore this year. I've visited it before for a few days but I'd like to be able to accomplish more than I did last time. I've got 5k to spend, but I expect even the cheapest hotel to take 1-1.5k. Last time I was there I just visited Geylang for the first two days and then went to the gardens by the bay. Any recommendations for saving cash?
>>
>>1129373
Hotels aren't cheap there by SEA standards but I think you'll be able to get something (~2/3 star) for less then that, surely?
>Any recommendations for saving cash?
Depends what you want to do I suppose. None of the touristy attractions interest me that much, I'll be happy just walking the streets and visiting one of the more natural islands surrounding Singapore.
>>
>>1129399
Even the cheaper hotels go for about $50 a night. I'm thinking of staying for around 2-3 weeks, so it adds up pretty quick. Mostly going for the seedier reasons, but I'd really like to get a better look around in my spare time. I was in a bit of a rush last time, but still got to have a look around the city and its pretty gorgeous.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.