[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Foreign languages thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: flags.jpg (20 KB, 505x171) Image search: [Google]
flags.jpg
20 KB, 505x171
>>
I speak German
>>
>>>/int/
>>
>>1128439
/int/ is a shitposting shilling hellscape. Anything discussed here would be better than there. Besides it's probably more useful to people traveling.
>>
>>1128352

Whats the point of this thread? Seriously. Do we talk about what we're currently learning or whatever?
If so I'm native Malay speaker, a massive weeb faggot with intermediate Japanese shaberi skills currently learning the moon runes, also learning Mandarin and next Hindi. Focusing on the most spoken languages first.
>>
File: 1348125270492.jpg (43 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1348125270492.jpg
43 KB, 500x375
>>1128352

Spanish and Portuguese. Knowing Spanish made my trips to Spain and Mexico much more enjoyable than if I had had to rely on English only.
>>
>>1128352
I'm a native Korean speaker. It's obviously useful in Korea but also in Korean restaurants in America.
>>
I wish /trv/ had flags like /int/.
>>
>>1128352
I speak English and Spanish. Learning Japanese. I know Hiragana and Katakana so far, and how to count/read numbers.
>>
I'm thinking of moving to France next year to study French. I've always wanted to learn and immersion seems like the way to go. Can anyone recommend schools or programs that I can look into? Is this type of thing available to me as a non-EU resident?
>>
>>1129462

lmoawhat Indonesian is so close to Malay I don't really need to learn it, plus I've pretty much gotten the hang of it thanks to all the cheesy Indonesian dramas they air on tv everyday. And I'm not sure if b8 but in Malaysia there are four races, including the Indians, so.
Also not really interested in Thailand at the moment, it just seems like theres nothing there that I can't find here? It just seems like a meme country to me.
>>
>>1129470

>millions of illegal tamils
Have you actually lived here before? You're talking about illegal immigrants from Bangladesh. And I actually agree Malaysia's everything is beyond lame but Thailand being nicer or whatever still doesn't interest me >at the moment<
>>
>>1129455
What's available to you depends on your nationality. You should go to your local "institut français" to ask them if you'd be eligible for some sort of programmes, about the already available resources to learn French where you are right now, and to the one in the city where you'll live while in France. They can at least give you a list of all the nearby recognized French teaching institutes.
There are "institut français" and "alliance française" in most big cities.
You should look around http://www.fusac.fr
It's a free newspaper available in Paris for English speakers with classified ads (language learning, housing and jobs) and articles about French and life in France.
>>
>>1129481
Thanks mate, I'm Australian. I'll l visit the alliance française in Sydney when I'm there next month.
>>
I speak English and some French currently. Attempting to learn some Japanese. I have learned some basic vocabulary and grammar so far but was looking for some advice on how to learn hiragana and katakana as well as some kanji better.
>>
>>1129437
I'm learning Portuguese then probably Spanish
>>
>>1129486
>how to learn hiragana and katakana
Just fucking write it until it gets stuck in your head.
You can literally learn it in 3 days. I can assure you if you can't do that, you will never learn Japanese.
>>
I speak English and French fluently, and I've been learning Russian for two years now.
>>
File: Phnom Penh Neighborhoods.png (945 KB, 1188x1035) Image search: [Google]
Phnom Penh Neighborhoods.png
945 KB, 1188x1035
>>1128352

Professional linguist here.

My native language is English, but I also know German and Japanese.

Does anybody have any experience learning languages while living in southeast Asian countries such as Thailand, Vietnam, or Cambodia? I'm thinking of traveling to one of those countries just because language classes and living expenses are really cheap there.
>>
>>1130121
>You can literally learn it in 3 days
You can do it in hours if you're a fucking loser with nothing better to do ie everyone on 4chan
>>
>>1129470
>Tamils
>Hindi

I hope you aren't the same anon.
>>
>>1129455
>immersion seems like the way to go

Immersion is great and will bring to fluency pretty rapidly, but if you're not going to leave for another year there is no reason you shouldn't put 300-400 hours of study in before you leave. Relying on "immersion" as a replacement to doing all the hard work that goes into learning a language will not be as effective as you want it to, and you'll be shocked how little you know.
>>
File: 635373548.png (518 KB, 800x1399) Image search: [Google]
635373548.png
518 KB, 800x1399
I speak fluent English, Russian and Hebrew (local language). For the past three years I've completed the German course in Duolingo, with a liking to many german songs on the side and an interest to understand them word by word. Cant speak for shit but can probably hear/read and understand the context.
>>
>>1128352
>Fluent in French, English and Spanish
> Good in German
> Can manage myself in Russian
Life is good
>>
>>1128352
I speak swahili. Not proficient but pretty good actually. Anybody else? /int/ was surprisingly unaware of this beautiful language.
>>
>>1128439
the last time /int/ was good was 2 years ago

just let it be
>>
Native Portuguese, fluent English and Spanish, learning French and German. Next year one of my several projects is to make an immersion both in France and Germany. Unfortunately I'm not finding too many French schools in Strasbourg.
>>
File: Vietnamese Flag.gif (3 KB, 451x318) Image search: [Google]
Vietnamese Flag.gif
3 KB, 451x318
I'm a native English speaker (like 95%+ of you I'm sure) who lives in an area with a surprisingly large amount of Vietnamese people. I'm looking for someone to exchange Vietnamese lessons for English lessons but the problem is neither of us are teachers so we don't know the proper structure to teach one another.

Has anybody ever exchanged language lessons that can offer any advice?
>>
>>1131241
I'm interested in something new but I feel like I said I was wondering if you are looking for a place to live in the Columbus area of the year and a lot of the HBP iMs will help you with the required passive flexibility and I will be in the lot of people who are you going to be late to the park again for the first time I've been working on a government base so the benefits of the year.
>>
American. I took Spanish in grade/high school, and was horrible. I ended up in the Border Patrol, so either you learn Spanish or you're fired. I learned it. I now live in Bangkok, and study Thai off and on. I go to school here for than, and now find that I cant remember Spanish, or when I'm stuck for a word in Thai, if I can't get it, I get the Spanish word.

Learning Thai is kind of neat, as although there are tons of tourists here, few speak it. And when you do use it, sometimes you get a discount, or maybe even a girl friend. Oh, and when you're just listening to people, you can make out what they say about you.
>>
>>1131533

Anybody able to give advice on this?
>>
>>1129435
Selamat berbuka puasa! Kalau puasa la...
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.