[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fastest way to get to the Hagia Sophia from the Airport
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: Istambul.jpg (4 MB, 3840x2391) Image search: [Google]
Istambul.jpg
4 MB, 3840x2391
I'm going to France via Turkish Airlines. On the way there, I have a 17 hour layover in Istanbul. I've already gotten my Turkish visa. In any case, I was hoping some of you had some tips on the fastest way to get to the Hagia Sophia from the Airport. My flight arrives at 4:40pm, and I read that the museum closes at 7pm, but you need to get there by 6 to go inside.
>>
Are you flying into IST or SAW?

If the latter, you have no chance.
>>
>>1127956I
I believe IST is Ataturk, right? If so, then that one
>>
>>1127904

Take the Istanbul Metro from Ataturk to Aksaray and then walk or take a taxi.
>>
Depends on traffic.
>>
>Turkish visa
wow. Someone actually needs a visa for Turkey!

Anyway, fastest? Probably a cab.
But there's a light rail as well, which is of course a lot cheaper. I believe you'll need to change to a tram afterwards, or just walk. Anyway, 17h is plenty of time get to the historical center, see Hagia Sophia and the blue mosque, maybe even the palace as well - they are all next to each other, and get back. You'll even have time to chill by Galata bridge and have some food around there.
>>
>1128066
shit, I'm an idiot, just now read about the arrival time. Yeah, take a cab.
>>
>>1128008
Why Aksaray? Why not Sultanahmet?
>>
>>1128070

I haven't been to Istanbul since 2014 and can't remember the Metro routes too well. I just looked at a map and it appears that you can take the Red Line straight from Ataturk to Aksaray without having to make any changes. I figured that might be simpler, but I suppose you can switch over to get to Sultanahmet (that's not on the Red Line, right? Asking sincerely, I didn't spot it on the map although I know there's a Topkapi stop on another).

I usually stay in Beyoglu, get off at Fatih, and take a taxi to Taksim. That was how the owner of my hostel suggested getting there, and I've found it to be efficient.
>>
>>1128066
>>1128008
>>1128067
>>1128084
Thanks so much for the tips. I'm hoping customs won't be too much of a hassle, since all I'll have there is my backpack.
>>
Taxi is fastest but they'll gouge the price from the airport. I'd take the metro line from where it begins (Ataturk Airport) to where it ends. You can walk for less than five minutes to get to the Yusufpasa stop for the tram which will take you to Sultanahmet. Doesn't take a whole heap of time. I used to go from Tophane into Sultanahmet (which is in the other direction) quite a bit while I was living there. You will need to buy four tokens (jeton) for the trip. Can't recall exactly how much they cost since I used the Istanbulkart, but probably around 12 lira as a round trip, maybe it is now 16 lira because of inflation. Look for the machine that says 'Jetonmatik".
>>
File: Metro-Map-Istanbul.png (226 KB, 741x408) Image search: [Google]
Metro-Map-Istanbul.png
226 KB, 741x408
>>1128289
you're probably set by now but I was there a week ago

The tokens are really easy, there are machines and a guy at a booth at the entrance to the metro from Ataturk airport

Customs took me a few minutes, I bought the visa at the desk (£20) and just showed my passport to the guy as usual. There was nothing special or long about it
>>
File: IST_Metro_core-850.jpg (101 KB, 858x367) Image search: [Google]
IST_Metro_core-850.jpg
101 KB, 858x367
>>1128414
sorry, this map is better

I got the red line to Zeytinburnu and switched over to the blue to get there. I had a 12 hour layover and it was my first idea to kill time

I don't know about getting there by 6 but you could go in the morning I guess
>>
>>1127904
I caught a bus to the main bus terminal, walked across the road to a tube station and got the metro into the city

I had literally no idea what I was doing

it's all really walk-able in the old quater where the hagia sophia is, and the trams/metro are easy to navigate

also the ferries are super cheap, I took one across the bosphorous and just took another back for the hell of it
cost all of like 5$

obligatory warning that there is a strict dress code for mosques, wear shorts and they will make you wear a stupid cloth like a towel, however in the tourist mosques you will be one among many
you will have to take shoes off, so don't wear army boots

turkish police are corrupt, incompetent, touchy and suspicious of non-muslims
if they for some reason hassle you don't challenge them in any way or they will quickly get angry, just restate the same things over and over slowly and passively
>>
>>1128414
>>1128417
>>1128421
Thanks so much for the info and map. I've saved it to my phone.
>>
>>1128417
this is the actual way
everyone else doesn't know
get off in zeytinburnu, walk across the tracks then take the tram to sultanahmet
>>
Thanks again everyone. My flight leaves in 4 hours. I'll post pictures if this thread is still up by the time I get there. (should be)

>>1128735
Cool.
>>
>>1128979
Have a nice flight OP, and have fun in Istanbul. It is unique in every sense of the word.
>>
>>1127904
Don't come here, it's a shithole.
>>
File: reduced size.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
reduced size.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1500
>>1129011
Thanks. Flight arrived 40 minutes earlier than expected, which was great. Sadly, I didn't get a chance to go inside the Hagia Sophia because at person in front of me took too long at the airport exchange, so I missed the 6pm deadline by 10 minutes. Oh well, I ended up pulling an Anthony Bourdain and combing the European half of the city all through the night and then took the ferry across the Bosphorus to get to the Asian half. Ended up getting to my hotel at ~3am > sleeping for 3 hours and then headed for my flight to Paris.

All in all, from what I saw of Istanbul, I really loved every minute of it. I plan on going back next year.
>>
>>1129546
Definitely do. I've been on a dedicated Istanbul only trip that lasted a week and a half and there was still stuff left I didn't have the time to see.
It's an interesting city with a great atmosphere.
>>
>>1127904
Hello, if you are arriving at IST, it's very easy. Just take the metro there. However, the picture you've posted is the Yeni Cami (New Mosque) in Eminönü, 15 minutes walk from Ayasofya.. I'm sure you know that, though. :-)
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.