[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lebanon or Jordan?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: Flag-Pins-Lebanon-Jordan.jpg (67 KB, 400x320) Image search: [Google]
Flag-Pins-Lebanon-Jordan.jpg
67 KB, 400x320
I was looking at travelling to either of these countries and wanted some advice for anyone whose been or knows about these two countries.

I will be going with a friend and was looking for somewhere that we would be able to go out at night as well as do a lot of adventurous stuff. Stuff like trekking, any water sports, quad biking, camel riding if possible.

Also somewhere where the food is nice and the people are relaxed and friendly. I went to Morocco and did not like the constant hassling from the natives to buy their stuff.

Any advice? Thanks in advance
>>
Currently with the situation of Lebanon, don't recommend it. If you do go, they cook some nice food.
Jordan is the pearl of the Middle Eaast. Loevyl place for westerners. Visit Ammam for almost all of your needs (but remember they are muslim so no alcohol :[ )
also visit the dead sea, notorious for many reasons, petra because its a beautiful ancient city, mujib desert (wadi mujib) which is basically grand canyon but jordan style.dana is a good nature reserve if you enjoy hikes. jerash is also nice place to visit. we are kind people, no harassment. for food, make sure you eat mansaf in bedouin gathering in desert, best dish ever i promise you.
thats all i have my friend, sorry :)
>>
>>1127344
I found plenty of alcohol in Amman. They have a sizeable Christian majority, who run bars and liquor shops
>>
File: petra and jerash.jpg (5 MB, 2448x6368) Image search: [Google]
petra and jerash.jpg
5 MB, 2448x6368
I think in most middle east countries you will get harassed to buy things, it's just something you have to deal with.

I spent 3 days in Jordan and I wish I spent more time there; the people are super cool, friendly and polite; in hotels and in restaurants the service is excellent they can't do enough for you.

I went to Amman, Jerash and Petra
>>
>>1127441
You can find, but don't drink outside. you will get looks from arabs. my friend in ammam does occasinally. otherwise is good place
>>
>>1127446
>I think in most middle east countries you will get harassed to buy things, it's just something you have to deal with.
Not in Iran. But maybe the generalisation does hold for Arabs.
>>
I'm from Jordan currently living in the states (grew up in virginia). Ive lived there half my life from 7th grade to senior year. If you're set on visiting either of those places you should try to get in touch with foreigners that live there who will tell you what places to avoid. There's a lot of ghettos in jordan, as well as a lot of westernized areas. People are pretty chill but beware, you will get harassed by locals that may not take kindly to westerners.

I suggest visiting Abdoun which is a high end area. Lots of great food and clubs and bars. Khalda also in amman, Dabouq, Swefiyeh, and downtown amman also known as center of amman. You'll see older looking buildings and traditional returaunts, hookah bars and a lot of visual culture from the 40s and 50s. There's also a place called Sooq Jara. It's a place where local rock bands play live and people get together and open up a bazaar selling homemade items like necklaces, hats. Some will sell shirts or little charms.

Outside of Amman you got Aqaba, Petra and Jerash
Very nice tourist spots but be careful with people trying to sell you random junk as well as pickpockets. Also know the emergency hotline and always be on the lookout for little police stations on the roads. They'll always help you out and have a pretty basic understanding of english.

Don't go to Baqaa, al-zarqa, or Al-ruseifa. I'm from al rusiefa which is the ghetto I mentioned earlier. It's not entirely bad but it's easy to get lost and a lot of trouble happens like theft, fights in the streets and just general hooliganism.

Cont.
>>
>>1127758

I highly recommend going to landmark hotel if you're looking for a nice place with excellent service and great alcohol. Go to the 13th floor where they serve alcohol and hookah with a great view of the city, they also have live performances there.

I'd keep writing but I feel like I covered the general stuff. Always use cash, and don't be afraid to barter with mom and pop shops. Chain stores are like America where everything is a set price, but in places like downtown amman you can haggle the price no problem. If they say 50, Say 15. Then break a decent price out of them.

I really hope you enjoy your time if you go to Jordan, OP. Stay safe.
>>
I've only been to Lebanon recently. The security situation, at least in Beirut is okay. I also went to Tripoli and some Refugee Camps near the syrian border, it's a bit more complex here.
Beirut is a veryrelaxed city, especially in the christian quarters. Friendly people and you get along well with french or english.The muslim quarters are much harder to navigate.
Outside of Beirut there are some caves you could visit in the mountains, maybe also rivers for rafting and stuff, I'm usually not looking for this so no idea really.
>>
European guy who has lived in both countries learning Arabic. Jordan for 4 months, Lebanon for 9. AMA.

I would recommend Lebanon. Beirut beats Amman in terms of nightlife, and the nature in the Lebanon, Shouf and Aamil mountains is simply gorgeous. The locals are friendly, and it's safe. Trust me, I came home a few weeks ago. The coast from the Israeli border up to and including Tripoli and the mountains are safe as can be. The Beqaa Valley really depends, I didn't go there when I was there now, but I know several people who went to Baalbek, Aanjar, Zahle and Rashaya, and they had no problems. I wouldn't recommend the northern part of the Valley, i.e. Hermel and surroundings. In any case, you should check the situation there before going. And remember that in the past two years, Beirut has one suicide bombing in a residential area not popular with tourists, France and Belgium between them had four in areas with loads of tourists.

Jordan has its charm as well. Camping and hiking in the otherworldy landscapes of Wadi Rum is an experience you won't find anywhere else, and here you can also ride camels with actual native Bedouin guides. Depends if you want desert or forest landscapes really. Food is equally good in both countries, though Jordan is the cheapest one by far.
>>
>>1127264
if you want traditional "arab" culture like bedouins and nomads with good food id say jordan there are bedouin groups that will let you ride with them there theyre pretty cool. if you want Mediterranean culture like arab meets rome then lebanon
>>
>>1127264
Why would you want to visit Lebanon? The whole country smells like rotten shit because their corrupt/inept government refuses to help the people and it's obvious because they can't even do simple things like collect the rubbish to dispose of it properly.
>>
I'd go to Turkey if you havent been there.

Still safe but would be much enjoyable if you met some cool Turkish people to avoid tourist scams and enjoy the trip on a much authentic level.

Also, their food is the best (If you are a meat guy like me)
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.