[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Montreal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3
File: 2015.08.15_montreal-banner.jpg (139 KB, 960x400) Image search: [Google]
2015.08.15_montreal-banner.jpg
139 KB, 960x400
Hey you donkeys,

I'm heading up to Montreal a little bit later this summer for about a week.

What are some must do things to do in Montreal?
>>
>>1126012
Montreal has the best beer and strip clubs in all of Canada. Other than that, nothing you couldn't already do in other large North American cities, but with more charm and pretentiousness
>>
Drink plenty of beer and eat as much poutine as you can find. Also, avoid the homeless as much as you can. They are very pushy and extremely consistant whilst panhandling
>>
>>1126012
>it's the weekly tell me what to do in Montreal because I can't be bothered to do any kind of research myself thread
>>
>>1126034
>>1126092
That's pretty much what I'm expecting. Just eating and drinking the whole time while being in a french america pretty much.

What's so special about the strip clubs there?
>>
>>1126012
>inb4 this turns into the weekly Montreal vs Toronto shit flinging thread
>>
>>1126351
>What's so special about the strip clubs there?
The girls actually get naked.
>>
>>1126351
Full nudity.

In terms of things to do, every Sunday afternoon in the summers, there is a party/festival/concert thing on the island in the middle of the river where all the young people go to hang out, drink, and dance to local djs/bands.
>>
The historical sites are great if you're into that kind of thing
Chateau Ramzey, Pointe a Calliere, Old Montreal in general
>>
>>1126034
>best beer in all of Canada
BC here, you're full of shit.
>>
Speaking as a local, the best poutine I've ever had was here: H3W 2P9
Its a small restaurant called Van Horne Bagel run by a bunch of pakis but god damn do they know how to make a good poutine
there's a highschool nearby though where its popular, so dont go during prime lunch hours
>>
If you're interested in trying poutine - don't bother with La Banquise. For some reason it's touted as the mecca of poutine but it's mediocre and completely not worth the price/wait. I don't have anything specific to recommend in Montreal (my best experiences have elsewhere in Quebec or backwater northern Ontario) but I suggest you hit up a greasy spoon off the beaten path.
>>
>>1126589
I agree. Montreal isn't really Canada so that might make BC the best brewers.
>>
>>1126624
>>1126604
What the fucking fuck.
>pakis make the best poutine
>la banquise makes mediocre poutine
I'm sorry but this just isn't true. There's practically no wait at la banquise if you don't go at peak times on friday saturday.

>>1126012
There are so many good poutine restaurants around there that it's no use arguing where the best poutine is; it's practically a meme.
Trust me, just go and try a goat cheese poutine and your life will be fulfilled.
>>
>>1127052
Whatever, it's not worth the price alone, and certainly not worth the wait on a busy day. Hit up a filthy pizza joint or chip truck in bumfuck Temiskaming and you'll get the real deal.

I'm sure good poutines are a dome a dozen in montreal, just ignore the La Banquise hype (imo) and avoid the touristy spots. Also, avoid any place that calls themselves a "poutinerie" like the plague.
>>
>>1127145
Dime*
>>
What if i wanted to moveto Montreal, any advice there?
>>
>>1128072
Don't.
>>
>>1126589
Nice try tho
>>
>>1126012

Local Montrealer here who has traveled extensively, and played tour guide in MTL a lot, so I know.

Montreal is the 3rd oldest city in North America after Quebec City and Trois-Rivieres. Montreal also shares a strong link to the French Bohemian culture, so hipsters here are way more hardcore than any of you can ever imagine. Montreal is the cultural capital of Canada. That being said.

Typical tourist shit:
- Old port (Third oldest port in North America, built by the French).
- St. Catherines, shopping street
- Eaton Center Underground Mall
- Mount Royal, nice overlook onto the downtown of the city.
- Plateau Mont Royal, beautiful bohemian neighborhood originally for artists, musicians and poets. Now mainly students.
- Gay Quarters, perfect for live music and partying.
- Cathedrale Notre Dame, in the old port, beautiful interior.
- Oratoire St. Joseph, beautiful church on top of the mountain.

Real shit to check out:
Go partying in Montreal, it's by far the best party in North America. I have partied almost everywhere. I have many friends that I've taken out in MTL and they have never had a night like in MTL.

- Open until 3am or later
- Sexiest women in North America
- Liberal culture makes parties intense
- So many outdoor festivals
- Can drink on the streets
- Only place except for las vegas (i think) which allows full nudity and alcohol at strip clubs.

People from Toronto and NYC constantly come to MTL only for weekend parties. People in other North American cities will try to say they've been to better, but they're lying to themselves. There's a reason so many superstars give shows in MTL constantly, sometimes for free.

Relaxing
Check out LaChine, it's a super laid back neighborhood, with a beautiful waterfront area.

Go to Mt. Royal on Sundays around noon, it's called TamTams all the hipsters and hippies go there and jam with weed and beers to enjoy the warm weather and play drums.
>>
>>1129765

Montreal has by far the best beer and food in Canada. NYC and LA are the only USA cities who can beat MTL food scene.

And it makes sense, the mix between the original French, English and American influences and now mixed with people from all around the world makes it ideal for having the best food. Don't you dare try to tell me you're British based food cultures can compare with France's, don't make me spit out my flavorless delicious tartar for some nasty fish and chips.

Microbreweries literally everywhere. So many bars make their own beer. There's so many choices.

Wine is also very good, such a large variety, from French wine, to portuguese neighborhood Portos, to Chilean reds. Literally any kind you want you can find.

Specialty foods
There is not much that is unique to Montreal. But there is:
- poutine, I recommend Poutineville
- steamies, I recommend La Belle Province (the most OG fast food restaurant in QC go drunk for best effect)
- smoked meat, Smoke Meat Pete's or Schwartz if you don't have a car
- MTL bagels, St-Viateur, they have a cafe in Plateau Mt. Royal, good excuse to go walk around that neighborhood in the morning.
- Ramen, Big in Japan, Kazu
- Foie Gras, Pied de Cochon
- Burger, Unibuger, Burger de Ville, Patati Patata
- Tex-Mex, Icehouse (delicious ribs and fried chicken)

There's just so much to go eat.

Bars
- Le St. Sulpice, 4 story bar with huge terrace in the back
- Apartment 200, good young people vibe
- Big in Japan, not the same as the restaurant. It's a japenese version of a speakeasy
- Velvet, lounge inside of an underground cave in the old port (hard to get in)
- Reservoir, chill bar vibe
- Dieu du ciel, amazing microbrewerie
- Casa del Popolo, Indie venue for upcoming artists, super chill vibe
>>
>>1129772

Clubs
- Muzique, 2 rooms, 1 hiphop, 1 electro
- B side
- New City Gas, huge warehouse club
- Foufounes Electriques
- TRH BAR, they have a halfpipe inside the bar, it's cool if you skate
- Divan Orange, good for old school motown swing dancing
- Blizzarts, good vibe, every night they have a different style of music, check their website to find the genre you prefer.
- Chez Serge, really fun place, theres a mechanical bull where girls are encouraged to throw their bras onto a moose head. There's spankings on the bar all night. really fun.

There's so much to do in MTL. Try to remember it's not a place where there's a lot to see. It's all about feeling the vibe of the city. We love to just chill and enjoy life. So come chill and enjoy life a bit.
>>
>>1129765
>>1129772
>>1129773
>thinking Montreal can even compete with NYC
>>
>>1129765
>>1129772
>>1129773
You're the shit, thank you!
>>
>>1129772
Damn every time I mention La Belle Province I get shat on. Went there for poutine not steamies though.
>>
Going to Montreal in a week, was wondering about a few things.

I keep getting told everyone speaks English. Is this true?
How's the wifi situation?
How arduous is the climb up Mont Royal from McGill?
Is the underground mall easy to navigate?
>>
>>1131688
Underground mall is shit, only reason to go in there is to get out of cold in winter when going from a-z.

Mint royal is a small hill.

People speak English, however you get better service and treatment if you can attempt to speak French.
>>
>>1131690
I need backup options if it rains on the days I'm there. I doubt the museums would occupy me the whole day. And I don't want to sit in a bar all day either.
>>
>>1131688
>Is this true?
Mostly. If you stay out of the white trash places like Hochelaga-Maisonneuve you'll be fine. Still try to speak just a tiny bit of French, people will like you more.
>How's the wifi situation?
It's alright.
>How arduous is the climb up Mont Royal from McGill?
Unless you smoke 4 packs a day and live on pepsi and pizza you won't even feel it.
>Is the underground mall easy to navigate?
More or less. It's a terrible place in general.

>>1131693
Buy an umbrella. I'd lose my mind if I had to spend more than an hour in this shit.
>>
>>1126351
make sure to check out club super sex
>>
>>1126094
This is research, you prick. Or is this board moving too fast for you?
>>
>>1131758
Google is hard.
>>
taking the family up from PA for a long weekend staying into Monday, after reading this and multiple other articles 2 full days might be enough to see Montreal, was contemplating leaving Monday morning and heading to Ottawa to see parliament and Byward Market, anybody think that would be rushing thru Ottawa too fast or is one day enough to see the core tourist stuff of Ottawa as some of it seems close together?
>>
>>1132871
Ottawa is kinda small. One day would be enough but personally I'd take about two days.
>>
Man i'd love to revisit montreal as my "friends" completely fucked up my last trip. Is there anything/anywhere a single hispanic guy can go where its not super weird to be a single guy alone? Id like to avoid bars so as to not be "that" guy but i want to go out and do shit too. Is there any latin dancing scene?

Also why are smokes and drinks so cheap in quebec compared to ontario?
>>
>>1131759
>not being a rude fuckface is hard
>>
>>1132875
thanks I guess I will have to see if we did enough in Montreal over two days to warrant staying all day on the third return day, otherwise I think I may leave MTL early and get to Ontario by 10 should give me enough time to see a few things and get home late enough to be back to work by Tuesday
>>
>>1126589
take your 100000000 IBU pubic-hair yeast ale flavoured with Hong Kong mothballs and ride your fixie off a short pier, faggot.
>>
>>1129958
> mfw American reading comprehension has plummeted.
> noface.png
>>
Best thing that I did there was a bike tour. I would be sure to do one, OP. The city is very bike friendly.
>>
>>1129765
>people constantly come from Toronto for weekend parties

No kidding, Toronto fucking sucks

I agree, Montreal is an awesome city to go party full of beautiful women but there's not really anything there you can't find in NYC (the strip clubs are better in MTL though). It's just less expensive/ more accessible.

Also, going to a big Canadiens game at the Bell centre is an amazing experience
>>
visit kripp
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.