[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone here tried the vagabond lifestyle? How difficult is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: Vagabond.jpg (488 KB, 1361x1000) Image search: [Google]
Vagabond.jpg
488 KB, 1361x1000
Has anyone here tried the vagabond lifestyle? How difficult is it to get by day to day?
Do you feel the satisfaction of being able to travel without being tied down is worth the struggle?
>>
Bumping this. Not OP. Wanna hear from some who have tried this lifestyle and hear what they have to say.
>>
Real Vagabonds don't Internet.
>>
sorry, english is not my forte but, vagabond is pretty much like homeless, right?
>>
if so, well, I'll be one in the UK very soon...

willing to jew and save as much as possible while trying to find a job there...
>>
>>1125870
I work in a place that has free housing (tents) for 4 months of the year and just travel and stay with various friends the rest of the time. It's pretty easy with all the money (and friends) Does this count as vagabond?
>>
>>1127258
where is it?
>>
My first week, I broke down and cried like a bitch for 3 hours behind some bushes because I had no idea where to sleep, my money was running out fast and I didn't know how to find food, I'd been wet from rain for 2 days and felt like I'd never be dry again, and I was pathetically lonely.

It's been 10 months, now. Loneliness is still a killer- most of society thinks you're trash, and the friends you make are as impermanant as anything else you have. But I can always find food now, I know how to take shelter, I can scrounge up some money through work or begging when I need it. More and more I'm learning to have fun, as taking care of the necessities becomes more habit than effort.

It's not safe, though. 2 weeks ago I was running from death threats from a dumbass gangbanger pissed over something truly stupid. I've avoided getting mugged only because some drunks stumbled out of the bar behind me at exactly the right moment. Sooner or later, your stuff will be lost or stolen and you'll be left with the clothes on your back until you can work up some cash. You'll get harrassed by the police just for looking dirty, and they'll act like you're a tweaker looking for a fix. You'll get citations with ridiculous fines for doing things necessary to live, and those will turn into low level warrants when you can't afford them.

It's worth it for me, for reasons too long for one post. Why do you even want to travel, OP? And is there an easier way?
>>
>>1127399
It's a fishery in Alaska. They pay for your flights up there too.
>>
>>1127468
OP here. I really just want to experience a variety of different places in the time I have here. I don't think I can handle that harsh life though, but I was interested in how others adapt to it.

It sounds as tough as I imagined. I wish you luck on your journey.
>>
>>1127515
I have been considering this sort of work instead of teaching English to fund my travels. Would you recommend it, and if so how can I get into it?
>>
>>1128306
It really depends on what kind of person you are. I've only ever worked in factories so this is just more of the same of what i'm used to but more wet. It's a lot of repetition in most of the work. It's always wet. The smell isn't too bad. For the regular salmon season you don't get any days off unless somehow no boats bring any fish and there aren't any backed up from a previous day. It's minimum wage (9.75) but as you're working 12-16 hours every day for about 2 months the overtime adds up.

The other thing is you're with the same people in close quarters all the time. There are a lot of tweakers and pedos and sad old divorced guys trying to make up for child support. But mostly Filipinos and Mexicans. There should be a big enough group of college age kids just doing it to pay for classes and travel to not feel alone.

You just have to apply. It might be late for this season because it has already started but you could call and ask. They hire literally anyone who is a US citizen. Also you do have to buy your flight up front. They only reimburse you after you complete the season.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. It's pretty miserable. But I'm going back for a second year. If nothing else, everyone I meet when I'm traveling thinks it's really interesting.
>>
File: tumblr_nd248bKUQ01s7j8p2o1_500.jpg (103 KB, 500x473) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nd248bKUQ01s7j8p2o1_500.jpg
103 KB, 500x473
Yes i have they will be the best days of your life if you have a decent head on your shoulders. The difficulty is up to you the world you see around you will shape your choices and your choices will shape the world you see around you. A world traveled is abundant if you are violent you will find an abundance of violence around most corners you turn. The same goes for any other path you choose to walk so choose a good one. As far as food and water goes if your in a 1st world country and your mentally fit and able bodied you will only starve if you a complete fuck wit.
>>
>>1127468
>You'll get citations with ridiculous fines for doing things necessary to live
Are you implying you are in the right choosing to be homeless begging and stealing in another country?

Because I sure fucking hope you're not.
>>
That lifestyle probably works if youre a real charming, people-friendly guy. If youre just some random shmuck expecting good tidings from people just because you choose to be a free-spirited bum then good luck.
>>
>>1129734
I'm homeless in my own country, friendo. I just chose to travel it as well.
>>
>>1129482
Where do I sign up
>>
>>1130898
www.hookedonfish.com
This is where I work. I don't know what it's like at any other places. This one is less remote than many which I guess is nice. Just google salmon processing jobs for other companies.
>>
File: king of moo.jpg (73 KB, 936x936) Image search: [Google]
king of moo.jpg
73 KB, 936x936
>>1127196
This. There is a vagabond sub on Reddit full of wannabes and instagram-whores.

Two points to note:

1. Vagabonding is only really possible in the vast expanses of North America. I laugh when I hear naive Brits fantasizing about living the hobo lifestyle in their police state.

2. You need social skills to survive and navigate the world of transients. If you're in any way autistic, vagabonding is not for you. You'll end up mugged, starved to death or in jail.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.