[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Japan General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45
File: Fukuoka.png (3 MB, 1824x1232) Image search: [Google]
Fukuoka.png
3 MB, 1824x1232
New Japan General, Fukuoka edition:

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/

*Note about the JR Rail Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1122580
>>
Why does everyone use fIip foanes?

What are your favorite foanes to use in here?
>>
>>1124999
not everyone does.

but japanese like simple things, generally.

for a while it was illegal for kids to have smartphones, and t's still illegal for japanese stores to have communication apps for kids under 18.

until a kid reaches high schools it's uncommon for them to have a phone that can call more than their parents, school, or emergency.
>>
If you want to get into bars and clubs, what ID do you bring? Passport?
>>
>>1124999
Japanese flip phones are widely comparable to modern smartphones, with some additional features like TV, paying bills, etc.

but still, iPhones are pretty popular over there as well
>>
>>1124978
count on 1400-2500 yen per night

>>1125014
you are legally required to lug around your passport as a tourist but maybe they accept something else
>>
>>1125014
Good luck talking yourself out of that situation if you don't have a passport ready whenever anyone demands it.
>>
>>1125017

>count on 1400-2500 yen per night

So, 400-750 a month. At the upper end that's comparable to the room I had in the Bay Area.

Is it possible to get monthly housing expenses cheaper?
>>
>>1125017
>>1125024

what you really cant just leave it at home when you are going out? what if you want to keep from loosing it?
>>
>>1125025
2300 is already on the lower end. with the exception of a single city I don't even know anyplace you can find 1400.

manga cafes were never 100 yen. you are remembering incorrectly.

if you want to sleep for cheaper, you can go to a different country, or you can sleep under a bush in a park. sorry.
>>
>>1125025
yes, hire an apartment for a month?
lving at a manga cafe for a month would be pretty miserable though, find an airbnb
https://www.airbnb.se/rooms/6636522?checkin=2016-11-01&checkout=2016-12-01&s=NWblbjed

>>1125034
then make copies of your passports. you'd be commiting a crime every time you're going out.
the risk is low but sometimes police will check for your papers and put you in arrest for 10+ hours while they confirm your identity
>>
>>1125034
There's no way to cut the expenses in a first world country and no, you cannot expect to break the laws of that country and get away with it. Asking a fourth time isn't going to change anything.
>>
>>1125024
Good to know, thanks. I already plan to bring copies of my passport, but I didn't know if I needed to bring the physical book around.
>>
>>1125036
>>1125038

OK, thanks. Looks like $500 a month is the absolute lowest I can push it, better to assume at least $600.
>>
Never flown international before, anyone have any tips on where/when/how to book flights?
I'm thinking something like Columbus (I'm an Ohiofag) -> LAX -> Tokyo, though how I get there really isn't important; if anyone has a better plan, it'd be appreciated.
>>
>>1125051
I used Kayak and compared prices. My flight is a lot like yours, driving to nearest airport, Houston International, then Tokyo.

I wanted the fewest amount of flights so I had less worries about my check-in luggage. Also, I made sure to check how long of a layover there was between flights so I didn't get anxiety of being rushed through customs.
>>
>>1124978
Why not just stay at a cheap sharehouse at that point? Sleeping in manga cafes for 3 months sounds extremely unrealistic, uncomfortable, and would more than likely be more expensive in the long run.
>>
>>1125069
I'm using Kayak now, actually. It's pretty cool.
Turns out I'll most likely route through Chicago, surprisingly.
>>
>>1125070

Does sharehouse just mean stuff like airbnb?
>>
>>1125009
>until a kid reaches high school...
Unfortunately it seems it's getting younger and younger these days. Kids just entering junior high school alreadt have smartphones which they use to stir up drama on LINE. It's becoming a big problem.
>>
>>1125076
I stayed at a Sakurahouse. You basically get your own room in a shared house/apartment, with a shared kitchen and shower/toilet. I think I paid around 500-600€ for a one month stay around 5-10 minutes walking from Nishi-Nippori station on the Yamanote line. Can also generally recommend that area for anybody who wants to see some of the old Tokyo and some comfy areas with narrow streets and some slopes
>>
>>1125079

Thanks.

My goal is actually just to find a teaching job in those three months, if my applications from overseas don't work out. I've been led to believe from here and elsewhere that it's much easier to find jobs on the ground in Japan than it is applying from overseas.

So, proximity to sightseeing doesn't matter, I'm literally just concerned about cost of living and availability of jobs.
>>
>>1125083
if you really want to stay cheap i found this:
http://www.tokyorent.com/mikan/jp_kashiwa.html
>>
Why do I feel like every 3rd or 4th Japan thread is headed by that damn picture of Fukuoka..
>>
>>1125083
>I've been led to believe from here and elsewhere that it's much easier to find jobs on the ground in Japan than it is applying from overseas.

Be careful... This is true *as long as you have a valid visa.* If you're going over there without a visa, you may be hard pressed to find a place that will sponsor your visa. The big companies will be in the best position to do so, but you said your overseas options all fizzled out?
>>
>>1125108
Working holiday visa.. allows me to work in most fields except things that contribute to degrading morals of society like working in a bar serving drinks etc
>>
>>1124999
Only old people do these days. We have some in the office that are for overseas trips.

>>1125009
>until a kid reaches high schools it's uncommon for them to have a phone that can call more than their parents, school, or emergency.

Not usually, they have phones that can only call/be called from preset numbers, that ES kids carry, and even JHS kids have smartphones these days.

>>1125014
If you're a tourist, keep your passport on you at all times. Buy a case for it if you need to.
>>
How should I pay for things in Japan?

I'm assuming American credit cards are no good there, right?

Bringing a fat wad of cash seems risky, even with Japan's low low crime rate.
>>
>>1125128
They usually work, and most major store accept them.

Take cash out and carry 20,000 to 30,000 if you feel insecure (there's really no need to) and leave the rest in a separate wallet hidden in your bag.
>>
>>1125128
literally no one will ever steal your shit, ever. literally.

the crime rate in japan is not half, not 10%, but literally 1% of the crime rate in the west.

if you lose your money it's because you misplaced it.
>>
File: crimejapanvsusa.png (62 KB, 1045x423) Image search: [Google]
crimejapanvsusa.png
62 KB, 1045x423
>>1125128
>>1125133
>>
>>1125137
I'll add to this that I once forgot a bag with my laptop, electronic dictionary, books, and 50,000 cash on a train and got it all back the next day, nothing missing.
>>
>>1125128
Most convenience stores have an ATM, if that doesn't work the ATM at JP Post will.. which read my card even after being snapped in half and the magnetic striped half rubbed off.
>>
>>1125142
businesses typically handle all their accounts in pure cash. 5 foot 3 japanese ladies will walk around to the bank carrying 50k USD in their purse.

shit is safe. shit is so safe most westerners will never actually undrestand how safe it is.
>>
>>1125143
I think some Family Mart were starting to accept most cards when I left in December but the only guaranteed places are still 7-11 and the post office
>>
>>1125147
Most accept a lot of cards, they're just not all compatible and mine was badly damaged only JP Post ATM could read it.

Ask your bank the withdrawl fee and fee for currency conversion (mine is $4 AUD + 2.75% on the rate) to work out how much you want to get at a currency exchange before going and how much you want to withdraw at a time.
>>
>>1125145
I've lived here a decade, I know. This level of safety is starting to feel the norm, not strange.
>>
Planning a Japan trip for two weeks at the end of the year but literally know nothing about it. What are the must see places? So far ive got Tokyo, Hiroshima, Osaka, Sapporo and Mt Fuji. Any more I should see? Any I shouldn't bother with?
>>
>>1125161
Tokyo/Mt. Fuji/Hakone area can be seen in 2-4 days, unless you plan to climb the mountain.

Plan to spend at least 1 night in Hiroshima and 1-2 in Osaka. I'd personally add a day or two for Kyoto.

Going all the way to Sapporo will take a lot of time unless you fly there. You can take the shinkansen to Hakodate area with a JR Pass, but you'll lose a lot of time.

Sendai/Matsushima are nice areas to visit as well, and not too far from Tokyo.
>>
File: Cece.jpg (117 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
Cece.jpg
117 KB, 720x960
Has anyone here done any bicycling in Japan?

I finally bought my ticket to Japan and will be there for 40 days in September-October.
We're going to get the 21 day rail pass.
That leaves us with 19ish days to do something.

I want to try doing a 5-10 days cycling trip through the mountains or countryside but I have no idea where to start looking.

We'd have to rent bikes there because I don't own any.

This is a picture of my cat. She is cute. Thank you.
>>
>>1125169
Why are you getting a 21-day rail pass if you'll use it so little?
>>
File: ag_scowl.jpg (631 KB, 1151x1553) Image search: [Google]
ag_scowl.jpg
631 KB, 1151x1553
>>1125163
>seeing Tokyo in 4 days
>seeing Tokyo plus whole other areas in 4 days
>>
>>1125172
Tell me what's in the 23 wards you can't see in less than 2-3 days? And Hakone is a day trip.
>>
>>1125171
I'll be spending 40 days in Japan. I'll use the 21 day pass probably every day for the first 21 days of my trip.
When its up I'll have 19 days with no rail pass.
>>
>>1125091

Thanks man.

>>1125108

>but you said your overseas options all fizzled out?

No, not yet. This is my backup plan if all my applications fail.

I've seen several times on /trv/ people saying that they went to Japan on a tourist visa, and were able to get a job and a work visa (sometimes requiring them to leave and reenter the country).

If I can't rely on that, that isn't good news. I'd really rather not wait over a year if I try it out with JET.

For what it's worth, I've got a bachelor's in linguistics and a 100 hour TEFL certificate.
>>
>>1125174
Ah, sorry, I misread it.
>>
File: aspie.png (89 KB, 1629x620) Image search: [Google]
aspie.png
89 KB, 1629x620
>>
>>1125169
>>1125174
The rail pass is only good if you're traveling between cities a lot on the shinkansen. Within Tokyo it will be almost useless unless you only ride JR lines.

I rode my bike all around in Kyoto and Osaka which was really fun. Renting was cheap (2000 yen for a week). It gets really hot out though so water is a must.
>>
>>1125161
That might be a bit tough those are all opposite areas of the country.

Kyoto is near Osaka, and I recommend Fushimi Inari Taisha, it is quite popular and main stream but it is very nice, open at night, and right next to a city station in Kyoto. Kibune in Kyoto is great, a few hours out by very good.

Himeji castle is on the way to Hiroshima from Osaka iirc. And a bit further then that is Takeda castle (castle ruins on a mountain) which is nice.

If you're going to Sapporo, Asahidake is nice, and better than Kurodake imho. But Sounkyo Gorge is very nice. The Daisetsuzan national park is nice.

>>1125171
>>1125174
Well he's already got the ticket. Usually rail passes are only worth it if you're doing enough Shinkansen travel to make the value higher than the price of the ticket.

I cycled around Sounkyo Gorge in Hokkaido. Nice area.
>>
>>1125163
Is it worth going up to Hokkaido? Not much of a skier but I heard it's quite naturally beautiful
>>
File: japan.jpg (429 KB, 1268x1014) Image search: [Google]
japan.jpg
429 KB, 1268x1014
>>1125180
Bad way to organise.

Use my maps to organise and add places by location and make connections, description for each place, what to do, costs, travel connections, pictures, link to wiki travel etc.

The map you make loads inside google maps on your phone.
>>
>>1125184
It is, what season you going in?

Pic related, Asahidake Cable Car at sunset, late September iirc.
>>
>>1125184
Yes. It's nice even outside of winter. Otaru is a really nice spot to visit, nice seaside train line there.
>>
>>1125187
Winter. And that looks stunning
>>
>>1125182
>>1125183
Thanks. I know how to make use of my rail pass.

Does anyone know of any scenic places like mountain passes to bike through?

Where I live there's a mountain route you can bike in 2-3 days depending on starting and ending point. You can also camp a long the way.

I was wondering if there's anything similar to this in Japan.
>>
>>1125189
If you want to take shots through cable cars etc, you'll need a polarising filter for your camera to cut out the reflections off the glass, then put camera right against glass and angle it just right to get rid of the rest of the reflections.

Later than I went the bottom half in my pic will be covered in snow, behind on the mountain was already thick snow. Like this.
>>
File: Icecastle.jpg (1 MB, 2528x1072) Image search: [Google]
Icecastle.jpg
1 MB, 2528x1072
>>1125189
February? There's the Snow Festival.
>>
File: sounkyo.jpg (141 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
sounkyo.jpg
141 KB, 960x720
>>1125190
I don't know how far you can go on bike but Sounkyo Gorge is really nice looking. I biked in the general area.
>>
>>1125192
I would love to get up there but it seems like it's a bit of a hassle with the JR pass not covering the trip all the way to Sapporo as far as I know. Flights from Tokyo are very expensive too.
>>1125193
Looking at December at this stage
>>
How is Japan in late October/Early November?
I think I'll have about 3,000 USD, and 15 days vacation saved up. I just want to wander around, and see the country. The cities look cool, as I currently live out in the country side.
>>
>>1125198
That's a pretty season, typhoons/summer heat are over. Where did you want to visit in particular?
>>
Why wouId anyone go this month instead of next month other than it being cheaper?
>>
>>1125197
It should cover you all the way to Sapporo and then to Asahikawa as far as I know if you have the nation wide pass.

It is only 1300 yen for the bus from Asahikawa to Asahidake Ropeway.
>>
>>1125203
>Why wouId anyone go this month instead of next month other than it being cheaper?

Heat/humidity. Starts to get pretty bad at the end of June.
>>
>>1125198
Tokyo region to Kyoto area will start having autumn colours around them, up on mountains starts earlier than ground level too. Look it up and potential autumn colour dates and locations before you start booking.
>>
>>1125200
I have no idea at the moment. As I said, I do want to hit up a major city(s), as I come from a rural environment. Previously, I've done Shanghai, Xi'An, and Beijing. I loved the whole aesthetic, as the cities felt very different from any of the European or American ones I've traveled to.
I do like to be active, and I've always wanted to hit up the hotsprings. I'm not a person that has to see all the standard touristy things.
Thanks for the advice, friendo.
>>
>>1125208
Hakone near Tokyo is good for hot springs, if you want to explore Tokyo city and it's districts.
>>
>>1125208
A JR Pass is a definite than, you can easily move between the major/larger cities by shinkansen quite easily with it.
>>
>>1125198
I did 15 days in Japan late November/early December last year.
I caught the end of the fall colors but they were still around in the south.
In 15 days I was able to see around Sapporo, Tokyo, Kyoto and Hiroshima a long with a couple day trips to other places.
The temperature was perfect
The weather was perfect
The scenery was great. It would have been perfect if I were going around the time that you're planning.

$3000USD is enough if you've already bought your plane ticket.
After I bought my plane ticket and rail pass I had $2000USD spending money and didn't feel tight on cash at all.
>>
>>1125207
Oh, excellent.
>>1125211
Yeah, my parents did a Eurail pass, and they said that it really made travelling a lot easier.
>>1125212
Thanks a lot man. I haven't booked my tickets yet, but I expect to spend around $1k USD or so.
Just planning to have plane tickets, some set mid-travel points, and see where I go from there.
>>
Anyone been to Gaspanic?
>>
>>1125217
Shibuya? Enjoy ducking all night if you're 180cm and over.
>>
>>1125226

Yeah, I am :-\. Hows the scene?
>>
>>1125228
You look like a hunchback gargoyle until your back hurts and you leave. You also always have to have a drink in your hand.

Didn't really enjoy it.
>>
>>1125228
>>1125229

That aside, I'm old and married these days, but I hear Tinder is pretty popular here.
>>
Where the Navy guys at?
>>
File: 1461605557616.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1461605557616.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
Traveling to Japan next week, i'll be staying for 2 weeks and i planned to spend 4 days in Tokyo, 3 in Kyoto, 3 in Osaka (still not sure about the remainder of my trip, was thinking about booking a flight to Okinawa and spend 2 days there).
What's a recommended Onsen for a solo traveler near the places i mentioned?

pls respond
>>
>>1125278

Hakone near Tokyo, obviously. Do you have any tats though?
>>
>>1125284
Not even a single one. I'm white as fuck, my head is shaved with some facial hair (goatee)
>>
>>1125265
Acting like niggers and raping defenceless women.
>>
>>1125133
Unless you get drugged by yakuza run africans. Those fools were sketchy.
>>
>>1125217
Tokyo resident here. I've never been but the meme is that it's a shitty sausage fest. Everyone seems to bash it when it's brought up, so I don't know why it's so well known in the first place and why people always ask about it.
>>
>>1125143
Aren't the fees for ATMs quite high? Surely I wouldn't be able to use my US debit card and just get a sweet deal on those delicious yens.
>>
Is Nagano worth going to? I'm planning a week trip for 3 from Tokyo -> Kyoto -> Osaka -> Kobe -> Tokyo but I could plan a stop at Nagano on the way back from Kobe since we're using JR passes.
>>
>>1125336
people mostly go there to ski. it's, imo, the most beautiful region of japan. but there's relatively little to do or visit or see.
>>
>>1125331
look it up but usually taking out money in bulk at ATMs is better than exchanging at exchange banks
>>
For exchanging yens, would it be stupid to exchange when I'm still in the US and just bring over $800-$1000 worth with me?

Also what are the worst places to exchange yen? Airports? I thought about doing it at Narita
>>
>>1125034
Hah, it's usually the other way around; most people are afraid of leaving their passports at the hotel due to fear of having it stolen. And honestly I might be inclined to agree that the risk is probably higher if you leave it since the thieves will probably be targeting ID-papers at hotels and hostels, while in the street you might very well "only" lose your money+phone but they won't care about your passport since they don't have connections to sell it to, hopefully.
>>
>>1125072
google.com/flights/ is really nice as well
>>
>>1125128
"American" credit cards?
Most cards will work without hassle, though it's worth noting that a lot of shops still don't take card at all, or reluctantly, so always have cash prepared. Like others said, there are ATMs in every 7-eleven that take international cards, and the 7-elevens (or "supaa" which is what you're going to have to say if you want to ask for directions to one) are everywhere.

Regarding crime: At the end of my six-weeks backpacking trip in Japan I used to just put my backpack on the ground when I went into 7-elevens. But it might take time for you to feel that safe, especially as an american, so don't walk around with huge sums of money if it makes you feel uncomfortable. There's no reason to.
>>
>>1125359
Hey man could you elaborate on what you did during those 6 weeks?
What places did you visit, how you took care of accommodation and your financial situation etc.
I would really appreciate it
>>
File: DSC02554.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1449) Image search: [Google]
DSC02554.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1449
>>1125190
Try Shikoku, decent roads, low traffic and beautiful views. Lot's of cozy guest houses as well, if they're open in the winter..

Also, about that, you do realise that it will be pretty cold, right?

few pics from shikoku coming up
>>
File: DSC02559.jpg (3 MB, 2560x1707) Image search: [Google]
DSC02559.jpg
3 MB, 2560x1707
>>
File: DSC02585.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1484) Image search: [Google]
DSC02585.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1484
>>1125214
$3K for 15 days seems very excessive.. I lived fairly well on $50/day, stayed at guest houses (like high-quality hostels) and ate lunch+dinner at restaurants every day (though of course not high-end ones).

Noodles for lunch is around $8, dinner at a local family-restaurant or izakaya goes from $10 and up.

JR Pass pays itself on about 2.5 shinkansen-trips so it's usually worth it for everyone who want to do the Tokyo-kyoto-hiroshima route (or more), but remember to plan it well since you'll have to do all your trips during its time period. Now you'll only be there for 15 days but I'd recommend staying five in Tokyou, getting a one-week pass and going around, and then spending the final three back in Tokyo.
>>
File: DSC02596.jpg (3 MB, 2560x1707) Image search: [Google]
DSC02596.jpg
3 MB, 2560x1707
>>1125203
>>1125206
Yup, and even if you enjoy warm climates (like me) it's not exactly practical when travelling and wanting to walk around and spend time outside. Mid-late July usually gets one-two weeks of absolute hell on earth when the heat arrives before the moisture from the rainy season has had a chance to evaporate. You walk up a three step staircase? Great, your arms and face are laquered with sweat because the water has nowhere to go since the air is 70% saturated.

early July is usually quite good tho, but shikoku and the mid-southwestern parts get hit by typhoons about once a week.
>>
What is the one thing you guys missed out on or forgot to do when you were there?

Is there something you regretted not doing or having enough time to do?
>>
>>1125376
The one thing I regret is not staying longer, living turned out to be much cheaper than planned. I really wish I'd gathered some courage and stayed a year, working at guest houses and learning japanese properly.

But well, it's not too late, and now I'm 1/5 civil engineer instead :/
>>
File: DSC00214.jpg (7 MB, 5472x3648) Image search: [Google]
DSC00214.jpg
7 MB, 5472x3648
>>1125365
I'm typing it up, hang on!
>>
>>1125359
>7-elevens (or "supaa"

コンビニ, its basically English theres no reason to get it wrong
>>
>>1125386
oh shit, how embarassing.. This guy is completely right! I must've had a stroke or something.

ごめん無名さん、久しぶり日本語がしゃべた…
>>
File: DSC01368.jpg (4 MB, 5225x2941) Image search: [Google]
DSC01368.jpg
4 MB, 5225x2941
>>1125365
>>1125380
of course! I'll take it in broader terms and then you can specify what you want to know more about.

First: male, 20 years old at the time, swedish but look 100% italian/portugese.
I had studied japanese for a semester before the trip, so I did it partly to practice the language. I could hold basic conversation and get around fairly well language-wise.

locations (approx. days)
7 days - Tokyo
1 night - yokohama
5 nights - kamakura (was supposed to be 2 but the guest house was so amazing and I felt very at peace there).
nagano on the way up to:
4 days - Toyama (visited and stayed with my uncle's wife's parents)
2 days - matsumoto (went to kamikochi the first day, then the second I climbed mount norikura and took the bus down on the other side of the mountain range to:)
1 night - takayama
1 night - Ise
4 days - kyoto
2 nights - itsukushima (also known as miyajima. Turned 21 here, something the employees though of as a muuch bigger deal than I did.)
[Shikoku]
Went around the north side from the east,Takamatsu -> kotohira/zentsuji -> matsuyama -> Ozu -> kuroshio (wanted to surf but had completely forgotten that they get fucking typhoons every week during this time of year) -> Kouchi. About 1 night each.
I then spent my last 3 nights of the JR pass at momonga village (guest house), before taking the train back to kyoto for two nights and a festival.
Then back up north only to miss the last train to Toyama due to flooding so I stayed in kanazawa, then toyama 2 days, and finally the last five~ in Tokyo.
>>
File: DSC00786.jpg (4 MB, 5343x3562) Image search: [Google]
DSC00786.jpg
4 MB, 5343x3562
>>1125365
>>1125388

Accomodation:
I backpacked, partly to save money, sure, but mostly because I enjoy that way of travelling and living the most. And it also fit perfectly with my mission to force myself to speaks as much japanese as possible.

So my accomodation went something like:
*Airbnb - ~13 days, only in Tokyo
*Manga cafe/Mangakissa - that one night in Kanazawa
*With relatives - 7 days, maybe?
*With the brother of my first airbnb host - 5 nights (kyoto)
*Guest houses (this is like a high-quality hostel with a very familiar feel. Usually small and with the staff living together with you) - the rest of the time, I just loved these places and after discovering the first I planned my entire trip after them.

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of pictures from inside the guest houses but here's a few from Kamakura Guest House (perhaps the coolest, most traditionally japanese one), and Blendia guest house in Matsumoto (where a friend of the owner had just gotten engaged so a lot of people came over to have dinner)
>>
>>1125376
i actually never ate ramen, or nabe for that matter
>>
File: DSC00788.jpg (6 MB, 5472x3648) Image search: [Google]
DSC00788.jpg
6 MB, 5472x3648
>>
>>1125377
vilken skola?
>>
>>1125398
Lund!
>>
>>1125365
>>1125388

Food:
I was a pretty comfortable backpacker while in Japan, and never cooked. I noticed early one that mu budget would be more than enough, and since cooking both takes precious time and resources (especially when you're really doing day-to-day living like I did) I allowed myself the luxury.

While staying at my relatives place i was served amazing food three times a day (see pic for everyday breakfast in the matsunaga household), but the rest of the time I ate:

Breakfast: Two onigiri+soda. (Rice balls wrapped in seaweed with different fillings. Amazingly good and costs $1)

Lunch: Noodles, goes for 700
>>
File: DSC01160.jpg (6 MB, 5472x3648) Image search: [Google]
DSC01160.jpg
6 MB, 5472x3648
>>1125401
oops, continuing:

Noodles: 7-900 Yen. delicious, great when it's hot outside (you don't think it since the noodle broth is hot but it's really refreshing)

Dinner: sometimes noodles, sometimes more "proper" restaurants. Whatever I walked past as I was getting hungry. Usually ran for 1100-1500 Yen (unless noodles, of course).

I loved their soda vending-machines that are everywhere and made it a challenge to try every flavour I could find, so I definitely blew a lot of "unnecessary" money there, but it was soo worth it.

Just writing about all that delicious, cheap, food is pure suffering.. I'll have to go back soon
>>
here are the onigiris
>>
File: DSC01390.jpg (5 MB, 5472x3648) Image search: [Google]
DSC01390.jpg
5 MB, 5472x3648
This was like a onigiri on steroids, some convenience stores have them
>>
File: DSC01809.jpg (6 MB, 5472x3648) Image search: [Google]
DSC01809.jpg
6 MB, 5472x3648
>>
File: DSC01877.jpg (6 MB, 5472x3648) Image search: [Google]
DSC01877.jpg
6 MB, 5472x3648
>>
File: DSC02364.jpg (6 MB, 5472x3648) Image search: [Google]
DSC02364.jpg
6 MB, 5472x3648
>>
File: DSC02420.jpg (7 MB, 5472x3648) Image search: [Google]
DSC02420.jpg
7 MB, 5472x3648
>>
>>1125414
Did you take these food pics when you were alone or in public? Did Japanese people care when you took photos of your food?
>>
ls there any food you you shouId be carefuI choosing?

As in are there foods than can cause something you shouId make sure are handIed correctIy?

Germany had probIems with their pouItry being resistant to anti biotics which l was toId about when l got there so any pIace with a "too good to be true" chicken based meaI was avoided at aII costs.

Are there any simiIar situations to avoid? Because aII these food posts Iook amazing.
>>
>>1125217
Shibuya sucks, Roppongi is better, but its just a worse version of Line Club
>>
>>1125417
>Anyone ever caring about taking a pic of food
>>
>>1125173
Edo Museum
Modern Art Museum
Yoyogi park
Ueno park and zoo
Harajuku takes a proper day to explore and shop especially if you add in Omotesando
Akihabara is the same
Jimbocho and all the book stores
The massive number of restaurants in the city, especially in and around Naka-Meguro
Tsukiji fish market
Tons of world class clubs in Shibuya and some fun ones in Roppongi
Asakusa plus all the other shrines and temples around the area

This is literally just going off the top of my head and only taking into account things you can basically every day in the city, and nothing that is seasonal like hanami and hanabi. Tokyo has a ridiculous amount of things to do. Its a bigger city than anywhere in the US or Europe. I lived there three years and still didn't hit everything. I guess you can barely skim the surface and knock off a couple tourist check boxes in 2 days but don't pretend you're actually seeing Tokyo in that amount of time.
>>
File: DSC00153.jpg (8 MB, 5472x3648) Image search: [Google]
DSC00153.jpg
8 MB, 5472x3648
>>1125365
OK, final one until we move on to questions.

Financial:

I used my VISA where possible, and carried a few thousand yen at all times since most places still only take cash.

I didn't have a premade budget, but a general idea and it turned out to be quite accurate.

(all prices in Yen, just type "xxxx JPY" into google and it'll convert to your currency)

Plane ticket: 92000
JRpass (3w): 60000
Food: 2500 / day
Accomodation 3000 / day

I think that's all that's of interest for other people. Please ask if you have any questions!
>>
>>1125417
>>1125421
Social awkwardness strikes again.

Seriously though, I was probably the person who cared the most. I really resented myself for taking pictures of my food in the beginning and thought it super embarrassing, but you get over it.

People don't care unless you make a big deal of it. And since I was sporting a fairly good camera and not just a cellphone I'm sure I was labeled "hobby photographer" if anything.
>>
You could feast on bento from 7/11 and family marts for weeks and weeks alone and never get tired of it
>>
>>1125433
>lTT: PeopIe who don't care about their heaIth
>>
>>1125434
>freshly cooked rice, meat and veggies
>somehow not healthy
>>
>>1125435
None of that is true about conbini bentos. Its better than the meals you would get at a US 7-11 but just barely
>>
>>1125431
Nobody thought a single thing about you
>>
>>1125418
don't buy fugu from unlicensed restaurants or try to cook it yourself
>>
>>1125418
Nope. That's perhaps the best thing about japan, sure it's not dirt cheap like SEA or India but you never have to worry about diseases even an upset stomach
>>
How is using an American Express card, as opposed to say Visa?
>>
What kinds of alcohol are served in bars and izukayas as compared to a US bar? Do they generally have a spread of the common liquors like vodka, rum, whiskey, gin, tequila, etc? Or is it mostly Japanese beers? What about sake? What is sake like? I've had it in a US sushi restaurant before and it was hot and not that strong. Is that genuine? I'll be going on a trip with my best friend, who has pretty douchey drinking taste; he really likes jager shots. Will he be able to get that in most places?
>>
>>1125459
easy on the autism, all bars on planet earth serve jäger and drinks
sake is like white wine only worse
>>
>>1125325

Hm, all I heard was it might be a good place to meet women. Thank you.
>>
>>1125445
I had no trouble using my Amex at 99% of the places that took credit card.
>>
Hi, Im 19 years old and am going to be travelling to Japan in roughly 2 weeks
How strictly is the drinking age enforced? I usually barely drink at all but if I meet some people I wouldnt mind having a beer or two in the evening
Also, do clubs actually card people? Can I use gaijin smash to get out of that situation, like acting confused or saying I dont have my passport on me

Also is it a bad idea to not plan too far ahead?
Is Tokyo, kyoto, osaka, nara, hiroshima an okay itinerary for 2-3 weeks?
>>
>>1125494
>How strictly is the drinking age enforced?
If you buy it at the supermarket or conbini, nobody cares. Even in bars you'd be very unlucky to get checked
>Also, do clubs actually card people? Can I use gaijin smash to get out of that situation, like acting confused or saying I dont have my passport on me
depends on the bouncer, some are cunts but yeah just gaijin smash it if necessary
>Is Tokyo, kyoto, osaka, nara, hiroshima an okay itinerary for 2-3 weeks?
for 3 weeks yes, for two weeks I would personally cut Hiroshima to spend some more time in Tokyo, but I just love that city so you might have other preferences. Last time I went I oftentimes just booked accommodation 2-3 days in advance and it wasn't a problem so you can be pretty spontaneous about that
>>
>>1125497
thanks mate!
>>
>>1125497
>>1125501
Hiroshima is nice and the museum is interesting but compared to other cities it's not really something special, I think.

Spend 2 nights there, tops, and do check out their botanical garden if you enjoy that kind of stuff.
>>
>>1125428
Any comments regarding the courage to go out on your own? That is my biggest hurdle, because I'd prefer at least one friend with me, but finding someone who also has the money to do it is unlikely.
>>
>>1125525
Oh, hm. This was my first trip alone, and by far the biggest one I've ever done (neither of my parents are very adventurous), however I wasn't nervous or scared at all, rather a bit curious as to see how I'd handle it and how it'd go.

With that said I had a few rough times, especially the first day when I went through some kind of small "panic/angst attack", which I've found many lone travellers do the first time. But, I layed on the sofa for a few hours, thinking about what I was doing there, that I should just go home etc, and then it passed, I went to sleep and had the best 6 weeks of my life. I honestly got completely hooked on traveling alone, it's so nice to be completely free, and to get to meet so many more new people instead of just the usual ones.

So, uh, yeah, just do it!
>>
>>1125525
I think you just shouldn't think about so much, you're making it out to be a bigger thing than it is (in your head).

You can think about it different ways: by realising that it's really not that big of a deal and that millions of people travel alone, live alone or get by alone without issues.
By thinking about the aftermath; that you'll feel "stronger", braver and more secure (and be seen as such) and that you'll probably have made new friends and gotten stories to tell.
Or maybe feeling safer by the security of the situation. You're going to a very well-developed country with amazing people and no matter what happens you'll get help.

Anyway, try to identify and concretize what you're "afraid of", or rather, what you feel the need to gather courage to to face and then isolate those issues, work out solutions or label them as stupid and work them out of your head.

I wish you luck!
>>
>>1125544
>>1125567
Thanks.

I know, I'm torn. On one hand I know how often I hang out with friends and feel I'm missing out on the things around me because they're not interested. On the other, I am socially awkward and like the company of someone I trust for confidence and a second opinion. It's difficult for me to comfortably do anything in public if I am not well informed or used to it already, including meeting new people. There's also the social stigma to do things socially, the perfect example is going the movies, despite us sitting in the dark not actually interacting with each other for the duration.

I know people who refuse to ever leave the house at all, though, so I am somewhat grateful I'm not as far gone.
>>
File: DSC02376.jpg (4 MB, 5193x3246) Image search: [Google]
DSC02376.jpg
4 MB, 5193x3246
>>1125576
I can definitely relate to the whole "doing something that I'm not well informed about"-thing, it was however one thing I didn't have a lot of trouble with in Japan. Two reasons: first off, they're not as "picky" as many are led to believe, the majority is on the opposite quite forgiving and welcoming, especially younger people and the type of people you meet at guest houses. Secondly, because you're in a whole different country where no one knows you. Your friends aren't there, your parents aren't there, in other words, you can mess up all you want, in the end you're gonna return home and all will be well, at least that's how I felt.
Staying at guest houses also helped me train social skills quite a lot. I've never been truly SA but have always had the idea of "no on is interested in me so I'm not going to strike up conversation because that would just bore them". Staying at hostels or guest houses, and travelling around will force you to meet new people every day, and they'll probably be interested, and want to hear about your country and customs etc. These types of meetings helped me a lot, and seeing their reactions as to how cool/awesome it was that I travelled alone greatly encouraged me and pushed me forward. I met people like this at _every_ guest house so it's not just a coincidence.

Once again, good luck, and I hope you'll have an awesome time in Japan! (I took the liberty of deciding for you, you're going)

oh, almost forgot: buy an okay compact camera (like the sony RX 100) and get into photography while you're there. It'll help pass the time, you'll learn a lot, and you'll have something to show when you come home. Also, there are moments when you feel lonely as a lone traveller, then it's great to just go into "photography mode" and let the hours pass.
>>
>>1125580
adorable picture
>>
File: 02280002.jpg (2 MB, 4801x3201) Image search: [Google]
02280002.jpg
2 MB, 4801x3201
>>1125580
>Secondly, because you're in a whole different country..
Yes, going to Japan itself does not bother me even when considering the language and everything. Frankly, I'm more afraid of staying here or simply moving to a different (US) state because I'd be less inclined to get out and explore, trapping myself in my position. I'm fine with making an ass of myself culture-wise, it's more so ways I could screw up having a negative effect on me such as wasting time or missing out on some opportunity because I wasn't more informed or something. Like, just having to discover these great guest houses intimidates me.

To be honest I'm just asking for conversation. I'm already trying to move to Japan for teaching, but would of course like to utilize my days off the fullest. This is my alternative, due to my stated reservations, to going just for a vacation, or going over first and trying to find a job after arriving.

I already purchased a nice mirrorless camera (Samsung NX300) a couple years ago, and have infrequently browsed /p/ trying to get the motivation to go out and use it more. Pic related is mine.
>>
>>1125411
oh shit i think i've been here. What's the name of this place?
>>
>>1125595
Japan
>>
>>1125411
what's the perfume bottle you get with your meal?
>>
Looking to find some newhalf in Tokyo. Any advice?
>>
>>1125607
You're IiteraIIy a huge fucking faggot.
>>
To anyone whose been, could you tell me how much (usd) and long you stayed? Any relevant information like inflation changes or anything that would otherwise make it misleading would be helpful.
>>
>>1125497
>gaijin smash the club
Good way to get the cops called
Every single club cards, but you only need to be 18 in 99% of the clubs and they don't card on the inside when it comes to selling alcohol. Although you might not get drink tickets
>>
>>1125632

I don't see why you care.
>>
>>1125605
>perfume bottle
Pretty sure it contains red pepper, a standard spice for udon.
>>
Japanese people are dumb and can't read passports that aren't their own. I got into a club at 16 and when I showed them my passport, dude looks at it for 2 seconds and says "hai dozo" and that was it. Never been carded anywhere else.
>>
>>1125682
That's not because he couldn't read it but because he assumed you were of age because you're a foreigner. Japanese people understand dates, you dip.
>>
>>1125388
>>1125393
>>1125401
>>1125403
>>1125428

Thanks for taking the time write it all out mate. Is there anything you wished you would have done differently or what you know now what you didn't know before?

I want to go backpacking through japan as well and I was thinking about spending a week or 3. Do you reckon thats long enough for a first time? I intend to get one of those train passes as well. I basicly want to live life, visit cultural spots and see what the country has to offer.
>>
I'm gonna travel in Tokyo alone for 30 days.
Pretty much know what I want to see and do, but could somebody maybe give me some tips that don't show on all the travel websites and such? like practical stuff and so

Sorry for my bad english, I'm not native speaker.
>>
I've managed to get 16 days off from work and I'm planning a trip to Japan; I don't know much about Japan but I'd like to visit as their culture is quite unique and it's a civilised country

I know 3 cities that I would like to visit: Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto

How long would you say is a good amount of time to spend in each city in my 16 days?

Also, any other recommendations on what other cities I could visit close to those cities? I'm into history, architecture, natural beauty/countryside etc
>>
>>1125595
Ritsurin garden in Takamatsu, I think
>>
>>1125395
What did you have instead?
>>
>>1125792
only stayed for a week, but had a lot of sushi, some vietnamese food, okonomiyaki, japanese breakfast food, tempura, yakiniki, onigiri etc. but missed anywhere where they sold ramen, or weren't hungry by then

>tfw we gaijin smashed the chef to cook for us in a okonomiyaki place because we had no idea what it was or what we were doin g and nobody spoke english or had english instructions
>>
File: DSC00220.jpg (2 MB, 3240x2025) Image search: [Google]
DSC00220.jpg
2 MB, 3240x2025
>>1125730
>a week or three
Well first of I see two reasons to label a trip as "too" short/long, the first being the plane ticket price, and the other being how much more you get out of, well, being there for a long time. In some countries, typically neighbour ones, you don't get much added "value" by staying there for a long time because you'll know their culture and think like them from the start. However that isn't the case with Japan, and you also probably have a fairly heft price tag on the plane ticket. With that said, I'd never go to Japan for shorter than 2 weeks. And since you'll also be backpacking I definitely recommend 3 weeks at least, so that you can keep an easy pace and don't feel rushed for time. I feel that Japan is best explored through the people and their culture, with the thousands of shrines, vistas and famous spots only serving as time-wasters and places to meet people. (tip: ask for directions all the time, even if you know where you're going. People guided me around, called their friends and ate lunch with me, went with me to onsens etc.. Criteria to make this work: be young, always try in japanese at first, and don't ask people in suits/white collar-workers, they'll shun you)

I think you definitely have the right Idea! I wish you a pleasant trip
>>
>>1125797
how can you "gaijin smash" a chef, in a resturant, to cook for you? that's literally his job
>>
File: DSC01371.jpg (7 MB, 5472x3648) Image search: [Google]
DSC01371.jpg
7 MB, 5472x3648
>>1125591
I hear you, didn't realise you were the move-and-teach guy either, then I definitely get the courage part!

I can't really relate to the fear-of-wasted-opportunities though, at least not in the sense of fear/courage. I hate missing out because I didn't have the knowledge etc. But it's nothing to be afraid of, or rather, quite the tedious thing to be afraid of because it's so much easier knowing what you don't know that it is to grasp what you actually know.

let's say you'd gone to japan and lived there for a year, and then one day you hear about guest houses from a colleague and decide to stay at one during a weekend trip, only to find out how great they are. Would that make you sad? angry? hopefully not, and yet you've gone all that time not knowing about them. I guess what I'm trying to say is either you fear "missing out", something that will always happen to a degree that is impossible to judge, or you accept this and cherish every time you do learn something new that you then can make use of to have a better experience.

Sweet picture!
>>
>>1125799
you're supposed to cook it yourself
>>
>>1125804
ah, you where at one of those places. That's not really the norm for okonomiyaki so I didn't think consider it
>>
>>1125798
This is good advice
>>
>>1125747
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aA_Y29yqHXC2OGVrZrF9u0dwEE8&usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1I_DJ38615142iBj10Cgaavm8_Yc&usp=sharing

You might find something to do on here.
>>
I'm a non-native English speaker studying to become an English teacher at an accredited university in my home country. I possess a C2 level of English proficiency and have the documents to prove that I have the level of a native speaker.

Will the fact that I was not born a native speaker count against me if I apply for a teaching job in Japan? Or will my degree be enough?

Basically, I'm asking whether I'll be put on the bottom of the pile simply because I wasn't born a native speaker.
>>
>Expected to move to japan in 4 months
>still getting jerked around by the retard in charge of my application
>takes this fucker like a fucking day to respond at all to anything and keeps being cagey as fuck about everything
>still unsure if im accepted or not, still havent even been able to submit my application because he's being a fuck
om fucking god. ughh so stressed right now. just like its been 3-4 months of fucking trying to set this up, and now im at the part where everything hinges on some fuck being a fucking retard who can't file a simple piece of paper or read anything i've submitted so far

god i hope not everything in japan is such a tedious piece of shit like this guy is
>>
File: rabbits.jpg (3 MB, 3255x2439) Image search: [Google]
rabbits.jpg
3 MB, 3255x2439
I want to get surrounded and mauled by wild bunnies again
>>
For people worrying about safety, a friend of mine went on a camping trip and their toilet roll went missing: the Japanese were so shocked that it "was stolen" that they had actual detectives on the scene dusting for prints and shit.
Turns out it was just the janitor who saw the TP out of place and brought it to the close lost and found.
I'm sure you'll be safe, just follow common sense like don't go into dark alleyways full of tattooed people.
>>
>>1125884
this is either the dumbest lie i've ever heard or the dumbest thing i ever heard
>>
>>1125884
That's once of the cutest things I've ever read.
>>
>>1125884
That has to be the most Japanese thing I have ever heard
>>
>>1125880
>god i hope not everything in japan is such a tedious piece of shit
I've got some bad news...
>>
>>1125880
Your story sounds Iike everyone eIses. lt Iooks Iike no one ever has had any Iuck doing this properIy.

What are you Iooking to do there? ls that part of why it's taking so Iong or is everyone screwed trying to do this?
>>
>>1125929
I got my visa approved within 2 minutes at the consulate. Said to come back and pick up my passport in a week which I did. Granted working holiday visa. Bit it was very straight forward.
>>
Best place to visit in japan, and why?

Personally for me it's tokyo as I love fashion and a lot of my favourite designers have boutiques there.
>>
>>1125954

Soaplands
>>
>>1125938
That is not an option for Americans, because all the countries with working holiday visas do not offer them to American because the US doesn't offer them to anyone
>>
File: 1290750548098.jpg (645 KB, 2000x1330) Image search: [Google]
1290750548098.jpg
645 KB, 2000x1330
Doing 8 days in Tokyo early September with 2 friends. Very loose high-level itinerary:

-Few days in Tokyo
-Few days in Kyoto
-Climb Mt. Fuji
-Surf at one of the beaches near Tokyo (I'm a lifelong surfer and to the surprise of some, Japan is actually great for surfing. I'm going during typhoon season so I might luck out and get some waves)

Is this reasonable for 8 days?
>>
>>1125982
Make Kyoto a day trip and stay in Osaka
>>
How easy is it to get a place to stay on short notice?

If I rent a place in Tokyo for a month and wish to loosely travel around in other cities how are my chances of finding a place to sleep overnight on short notice if i find myself having to stay in another town for the night?
>>
>>1124991
Is Japan safe enough that I could sleep on the street? I'm going there next summer, and I would like to know if it would be safe to sleep on the street for one week. I was planning on just sitting on a bench while hugging my backpack.
No jk intended, I would really like to do so.
>>
>>1125983
couldn't disagree more.

I'd say osaka isn't even worth visiting if you only have 8 days. from kyoto you can make it to nara and nara is worth a day and a half or one full day.

>>1125982
honestly imo if it's your first visit tokyo alone could take up one week. if you insist on surfing the onl expedient place is chiba, but the waves are underwhelming and it's still very inconvenient.

also reconsider fuji. it's pretty barren, the guesthouses are often full if yuo don't reserve, etc. I've met very FEW people who enjoyed it. it will take at least 3 of your 8 days, and you will need to commit to it by reserving in advance. STRONGLY reconsider.

the cities near fuji, such as kamakura, are far more beautiful, less crowded, and will give you a pictureesque or painting-like view of fuji itself.

if you insist on surfing that's 1 day, hiking fuji is 3. that's four days gone. it'll take a couple hours by bullet train from tokyo to get to kansai (that's the kyoto area.) a lot of people dislike kyoto. the temples DO all start to blend together if you're not already familiar with the history, and getting around kyoto is a pain, so it turns a lot of people off. but kyoto is a personal top pick. MUCH prettier, more trees, less crowded, etc. if you only have 8 days on your itinerary though, 4 are already taken up by fuji/surfing. that only gives you 2 days in tokyo and 2 partial days in kyoto.
>>
>>1126025

Why is Fuji 3 days?
>>
>>1126025
Osaka is amazing with amazing people, totally different vibe than Tokyo, but I guess if you can't actually talk to people it might come off as a not as good Tokyo. But the people in Osaka are amazing
>>
>these samefags that cling to these threads and have only actually been in japan for like a weeek or some shit
>they do nothing but circlejerk and pretend to be experts
>>
>>1125459
Cold is better, and it's usually 12-15% alcohol.
Not a lot of shots (unless you go to a shot bar), but a good variety of cocktails.

>>1125580
Probably shouldn't take creeper shots of kids.

>>1125760
You won't see much nature in the cities, of course, but Kyoto is full of temples and other historical sites.

>>1125876
Likely, what country would you be applying from?

>>1126020
Cops would hassle you for sure. Net cafes are cheap.
>>
>>1125722
He either clearly wasn't doing his job or couldn't read the passport. I never said he didn't understand dates. I said he didn't understand how to properly read or else he wouldn't have let me in. You know how strict they are for dumb shit over there?
>>
>>1125876
>>1126038
From the Netherlands. The course I'm doing is internationally respected and by the time I've finished it I will also have studied abroad in an English-speaking country for 6 months.
It'd be a shame if I were seen as second-best to a native speaker after working tirelessly for several years.
>>
>>1126047
IME, most places prefer Americans and Canadians because they have a "neutral" accent, so it'll definitely be a strike, sorry.
>>
>>1126047
I'm sure you accent is flawless. Have you considered making up a story about being raised bilingually? That's what I would do in your situation. Just prepare a fucking elaborate lie that nobody would ever question, just in case it comes up during an interview. That's what I would do. In any case I don't think it will be that hard for you to leave a better impression than the avarage English teaching nut.
>>
>>1126065

Not that guy, but do they really have an ear for neutral English? Could you just fake an English or American accent?
>>
>>1126066
A lot of Japanese people have difficulty understanding Australian, Scottish, Jamaican, Papua New Guinean, Sri Lankan (etc.) accents. You could theoretically fake an accent, but you'd have to fake it through your whole career there, and you'll be doing a lot of talking. Also, I doubt most people can pull off a foreign accent perfectly with a wide variety of vocabulary and phrases.
>>
>>1126066
do this. a small accent isn't a big deal. they hire nearly illiterate niggers that talk like gangsters and people with speech disabilities.

just fake it. they can't tell
>>
>>1126066
Im from the Netherlands too, it's not very difficult for us. anyone with the ear/knowledge to recognise other Dutch anon's accent should also be able to judge his/her proficiency appropriately.
>>
>>1125986
You should be fine, even though it'll be more difficult if you're there during some festival/holiday. Hotel rooms are of course always available but they're gonna cost you as well
>>
>>1126070

Right, but would the Japanese be able to tell a Dutch anon faking an English accent?
>>
>>112606
Just watch oc, hills and the city respectively and speak like they do. Whiney college girl speak with lots of upward inflections and inappropriate usage of the word like is what all of Asia thinks English is supposed to sound like.
>>
>>1125982
I'd never cram so much into only eight days, especially not while there with friends. Stay in Tokyo and if you really have to, make a two-night trip to Kamakura or hakone (Fuji area). Climbing the mountain is, as many have already told you, not thaat much fun, but if your friends are hyped about as well then I say do it.
>>
>>1125982
>>1126077
Oh and skip Kyoto unless you're really interested in shrines and Japanese history and architecture. Much better to see more of Tokyo.
>>
>>1126073
I don't think so. All anon has to do is live up to expectations and teach well for about a month. If anyone would notice after that and care to bring it up, there still wouldn't be much reason to take action.
>>
>>1126065
>>1126066
>>1126067
>>1126069
>>1126070
>>1126073
I have a very good English accent, perhaps I should have mentioned this. And as I've said before my vocabulary and general proficiency is of the highest level recognised by Cambridge English, native level. Would I really need to make up some story about being raised bilingually? Or would an interview and some certificates be enough to convince them?
>>
>>1126084
just tell them what they want to hear. they're not fluent in the cultural landscape of europe, and don't understand that dutch and english are SO closely related it's ridiculously easy to become near-native in the other.

there aren't any languages close to japanese, at all, which makes it very hard for them to learn ANY languages. they inherently distrust nonnative bilingual fluency for thsi very reason.

just tell them what they want to hear. these companies pay diddly squat, so they're having trouble keeping staffing, and are happy just to get someone that is't a borderline criminal.
>>
>>1126084
Get a CELTA/TEFL certification, since your degree might nog be 'enough'. The certification helps and is internationally recognised, and it shouldn't be any problem. CELTA is available in Rotterdam, Den Haag, and Amsterdam I think.
Also, I've heard stories of non-native English speakers with math degrees being accepted on account of their CELTA/TEFL, so don't worry.
Also, out of curiosity, what uni/major are you doing (fellow Dutchfag wanting to go to Japan to teach)
>>
Are computer parts better bought in Japan? I'm going to Tokyo for the second time soon and I also want to build a PC. I went to the top floor of Yodobashi Camera in Akihabara and found the PC parts by accident, but it was cool seeing them being sold in a store since I buy everything online. My logic is that all the parts are made in China and aren't shipped all the way to the UK (where I live), so they should cost less. Would I get screwed on tax when I come back?
>>
>>1126091
we can't answer that question without knowing what country you're from

japanese consumer products are generally more expensive inside japan than elsewhere independent of tax.
>>
>>1126096
I'm from the UK.
>>
>>1126091
So it turns out after a bit of research and price comparison that there's very little difference in price between the UK and Japan for this particular set of parts. Ignore the Yodobashi Camera prices, I found a cheaper site which gave better prices.
>>
File: prices.png (37 KB, 561x812) Image search: [Google]
prices.png
37 KB, 561x812
>>1126103
Forgot my image, I'm a professional
>>
>>1126098

It's pointless asking here as the answer is on a case-by-case basis. You have to compare yourself online (there's no difference between Yodobashi, Bic and Yamada web prices and in-store prices) against what you'll pay in the UK. As the other anon very correctly mentioned, generally Japanese prices (even for things made in Japan) are way higher than prices for exactly the same thing outside the country -- sometimes double or more. But there are exceptions, which is why you need to look at the specifics yourself.
>>
>>1126020
it's "safe" in that you won't be robbed but as soon as a cop finds you you will be deported
>>
>>1126084
not really, they're japanese. they'll throw you out instantly if you don't follow the qualifications 100%
>>
>>1126038
>>1126129
Welp, will try living a net cafe idea.
Will save the living on the street experience for my last two - three days.
Also, I live in Uruguay but I will most probably go using an Italian passport, what the hell would happen in case that they deport me? I've never been deported before, would I just wait at the police station for my flight or would they force me to a sooner flight to Italy?
>>
Speaking about Fukuoka, has anyone taken the ferry to Busan (South Korea)? I'm thinking about going to South Korea for like a week and it seems like a cheap and easy option.
>>
>>1126036
For general questions there's no reason not to trust people who have been there for a few weeks.
>>
To those of you who have taught in Japan, how did you get your job?

If you got it on the ground in Japan, were you there on a tourist visa? What did you do to get the job?

If you got it while overseas, which company/program did you sign on with? What was the application process like? Was the company one of those that treats teachers like total shit?
>>
>>1125969
This just isn't true
>>
>>1126176
>living on the street experience

For what purpose? Do you have a hobo fantasy?
>>
If I went to Japan with long hair and a beard, how much would I stick out?
>>
>>1126256

You will stick out no matter what.
>>
>>1126264
Will I get denied access to public bath houses?
I don't have tattoos nor piercings.
>>
>>1126266

I don't think so, but if you're worried about it then do a little trimming.
>>
>>1126269
I usually braid my beard so I don't want to trim it, same with my head hair.
>>
>>1126256
I hope you realize there are also japanese people with longer hair and beard.
>>
>>1126277
There are also Japanese with tattoos, but obviously those tattoos aren't an accepted thing.
>>
>>1126204
I took it once. It's about a 3 hour ride and can either be quite bumpy or fairly smooth. I got a round trip for 12,000 yen which seemed like a decent price. I would def recommend taking the trip. Busan is a laid back Seoul. Both places are great though so enjoy the trip if you take it.
>>
I have a day dedicated to climbing Fuji, but am having second thoughts. Can it be done in 1 day, and is it worth it? I like to hike but if there's something else better to do then I'd like to save the day.
>>
>>1126256
there's nothing wrong with long hair and 90% will think the beard is friggin cool.

you'll absolutely not get denied in bath houses
>>
File: DSC01698.jpg (5 MB, 5472x3078) Image search: [Google]
DSC01698.jpg
5 MB, 5472x3078
>>1126285
Don't do it, it's a boring climb, jam packed and not worth doing alone, I think.

Instead I'd recommend the kamakura area if you just want to walk on old forest paths and see some temples, otherwise you're gonna have to get up into the "alps". I stayed two nights in Matsumoto from where I went to kamikochi on the first day, and climbed mount norikura on the second.

Kamikochi is a beautiful natural reserve with a lot of still fairly wild animals whichs is really cool if you have the luck to meet some. Unfortunately it's quite crowded during high season, but it's a nice day-trip, has an awesome little noodle place in the middle of the forest, and some really sweet off-the-path trails going up to the nearby mountain peaks. Though be there early if you want to climb, the last bus leaves fairly early.. (though I was there during off-season so that might've been why).

Norikura is the highest peak in an area covered by a quite big "shops and shit for hikers on a mountain with parking lots for buses"-thing. The climbs are fairly easy even though the height is noticable (highest peak around 3200m). Makes for a nice "high-altitude day", I just ran up a few smaller peaks and had a good time, took norikura and then got back in time for the last bus home. pic related
>>
File: DSC01561.jpg (6 MB, 5472x3648) Image search: [Google]
DSC01561.jpg
6 MB, 5472x3648
>>1126285
>>1126299
and here's one from kamikochi. I spent quite some time with the monkeys and it did get a bit scary when a total of 12 of them blocked my path (I was on an elevated wooden bridge at the time) but they minded their own business as I just walked slowly past them and tried not to make eye contact.

Apparently it's very rare to even see monkeys there any more though, but I'm guessing that's during high season while I literally saw only four other people on the path while walking there for hours.
>>
About tattoos and onsens. My friend has two tattoos that are about 5x5 inches square in size, one on the shoulder and one on the chest. He's a dorky-looking white guy. Is there any way he can get into onsens without trouble? If he covered them with something like a large bandage or something, would they let him in? Or are we stuck looking up yakuza onsens and only visiting thos?
>>
>>1126255
Yes I do, been reading the great kurosawa, the second part of the series where he goes full hobo which inspired me to try so.
Japan might be my only opportunity to try it without dying.
>>
>>1126266
no what the fuck? people are denied from bath houses because tattoos are associated with the yakuza not because you look like a hobo
do you think they will be like "uuh naah you have a beard get out"?
>>
>>1126312
yes, go to a tattoo-friendly onsen. I guess if he bandages them they won't care but does he want to bathe with huge bandages over his chest?
>>
>>1126312
People will fight about this time and time again, especially here in japan general, but i've gone to many different onsens with friends who have tattoos (and one guy who was covered in them) and we've still only been denied entry once. There are usually two ways, either you just enter and live with it being a bit of a dick move, or you ask them. If you they usually answer either "okay, but try to cover them with a towel", or "no..", in which case you suggest that you cover them with a towel, which they're usually okay with.
>>
>>1126312
>>1126330
Note: they never covered them when inside, and we've never gotten comments, angry looks, or anything really. And we've often been with a Japanese friend as well, talking quietly in Japanese, so it's not that we're all "scary foriegners who only speak English" either.

Then again, if I'd had tattoos I'd actually try to cover them up with the towel, respect and all that you know
>>
Long story but I ended up getting dragged along into my parents trip to Japan a month from now. We're going to be staying at the Kanagawa prefecture for a week. Apparently I have a better understanding of Japan so I'm planning the trip now. I know about the rail pass but I'm at a blank on places to go to. Any suggestions? Any notable places to go to during July? Me and my parents are interested in visiting a lot of shrines and general sight seeing.
>>
>>1126346
HoIy shit read the thread, this question has been asked 19 times faggot.
>>
>>1126348
gomenasai
>>
I've become interested in these kind of aquatic based villages, specifically floating/ directly on the water type ones with lots of docks or ones that sway with the water.

Does Japan or its islands have something close to these fishing villages?

pic is Vietnam
>>
Why do peopIe who are having troubIe when they sign up for a ceII service not just get pre pay if it's the same price?
>>
I am traveling for 3 weeks in September to Tokyo.I have few questions, how important is having knowledge of Japanese? Could I get by with extreme basic level and google translate? Also, if I were to just book the initial Airbnb, would it be hard to book the lodging and train tickets with only 1-2 days in advance?
>>
>>1126228
I got my job while I was still overseas.
I went with Interac. Applied online, submitted a resume, did a brief Skype interview and later an in-person group interview, got confirmation after that.
It didn't really treat teachers like shit, but it wasn't incredibly supportive, either. The pay was low but decent considering the small workload. Just wish it had offered benefits (raises, bonuses, health insurance, etc.).
>>
>>1126356
>pic related is Vietnatam
Then go to Vietnam, Japan is not some third world shithole
>>
going to spend 5 days on okinawas in september, any recommendations for stuff to do? Pineapple park sounds perfectly ludicrious so i might go there
>>
Sup, I'll be in Harajuku tomorrow (sunday), anyone wanna hang out? Also will be in Shibuya/Shinjuku from tuesday to friday.
>>
>>1126356
I heard of something sorta like that
http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/12/16/the-venice-of-japan-in-kyoto-a-secret-destination-tourists-dont-know-about-yet/
Which I thought is pretty interesting. Unfortunately didn't go since it's pretty far away from where I was staying in Kyoto
>>
so I've been in japan for just under a week now, first time traveling alone etc, and I havnt had the courage to go into a restaurant and have been living off mc donalds, any tips help, also Im curently in kyoto and only know very basic japanese
>>
Besides noodle, what are some basic/cheap Japanese foods that don't involve nori? I can't stand the smell or the taste of it, but I don't want to starve or go broke when I go to Japan.
>>
>>1126469
>>been here for just under a week now
>havnt had the courage to go into a restaurant
>have been living off mc donalds
>TraveIing thousands of miIes to eat off the doIIar menu

What the fuck
>>
>>1126469
>grow a pair of balls
>go to restaurant
>either order in basic japanese or point at picture on menu
>get food
>eat
EZPZ
No one will give any fuck about an awkward tourist who can't order off a menu, most people will have seen it numerous times.
>>
>>1126474
Gyudon, that is,. beef bowl.
>>
>>1126469
>>1126475
#justautismthings
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.