[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which is the best 3 week road trip and why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
>>
>3 weeks
>>
>>1124900
Left, because Yosemite. That place is the most surreal place in the country.
>>
>>1124902
In fact right hits Yosemite as well, plus Grand Canyon. I change my vote to right. Oregon can wait, just don't skip Yosemite.
>>
>>1124900
Combine all three if you have time.

What is it like driving in California? I live in rural Nebraska and sometimes when looking at long stretches of empty highway I think I could just go anywhere but I get paranoid driving in busy places and kept having to pull over in Omaha.
>>
what time of year?
what do you like doing?

if it's this summer and during your yosemite/grand canyon versions you were planning on camping in either of those parks if you don't already have reservations you're too late.
>>
>>1124911
you'd freak the fuck out in sf or la (native californian here and i freak the fuck out in those places)-a million cars, a million pissed off locals, a million lost or oblivious tourists, a million one way roads randomly intersecting, they're a fucking nightmare. but go up north or the foothills east of 99 or the desert and you can find miles of solitude.
>>
>>1124902
Is it that great? I'll be coming from the Canadian Rockies beforehand so I don't necessarily need to see more mountains

>>1124943
We're doing this from July 26th until August 17th. We're two college aged guys and we both like drinking, hiking, playing music, meeting people. My buddy is into history and I'm into urban planning and photography.

Shit that sucks about the camping, I would've expected it to be even worse in California though?

>>1124944
Is LA okay when it's not rush hour?
>>
>>1124900
Combine both, but not like you have it. After Las Vegas drive towards SF, then at Yosemite do the right branch on the left one. This way you really get both.
>>
>>1125029
you guys backcountry camp, or just car camp? if you have the gear and inclination you might still be able to get wilderness permits for yosemite for that window, but you'll have to go at least 4 miles from a trailhead to camp.

i'd recommend
>la
>sf
>portland
>bend
>crater lake
>yosemite
>las vegas

good mix of outdoors, culture and partying, you can do each leg in one day, and you'll have 1-3 days at each location, depending on how you prioritize them. fwiw you also are too late to camp at crater lake. there are motels and private campgrounds near it and yosemite, but you'll want to book them soon because they fill up quickly.

as far as routes, skip 1 along the coast-it's scenic as fuck but you'll add at least a day of just travel time. 101 from la to sf is better than i5, but then take i5 between ca and or. from yosemite take 120 though tuolumne then 395 south through owens valley towards las vegas. and driving in la and sf pretty much always sucks, regardless of day and time, though rush hour sucks more.
>>
>>1125046
Good point, do you think 22 days is enough time for it all though?

>>1124901
What does that mean? Not long enough?

>>1125050
Thanks, that sounds like a good route. We could definitely back country camp. Is the Grand Canyon worth checking out even if we can't camp there? I'm not particularly inclined to go to Vegas as I've been but I know my buddy wants to go. Is San Diego not worth checking out? What about Tijuana...is it bad news?
>>
>>1125060
sd is just bros by the beach. not worth it. tj's good if you wanna get wild and robbed, but i'd skip it. i like grand canyon better than vegas, but i'm /out/ and it will be hot as fuck in the beginning of august. if this is the only time you'll be out west hit it, but if there's a good chance you'll make it back this way i'd save it for a spring visit and take advantage of vegas' air conditioning, especially since you'll have someone interested in going there. and if you're in vegas and decide you'd rather have an /out/ day red rock is only 30 min away.

alternatively you could go or->tahoe->yosemite via tioga->la and skip cooking in the desert.
>>
>>1125029
>Is it that great? I'll be coming from the Canadian Rockies beforehand so I don't necessarily need to see more mountains

No, yosemite is crowded as fuck and not as cool as banff
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.