[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Australian traveling to SEA, namely Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
Australian traveling to SEA, namely Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and Laos.

What is the best option in regards to finance?

Do I take over like 1000AUD and exchange it as I go? Do I get one of those special travel debit cards and withdraw as I go? Do I exchange over here before I leave?

What option is the cheapest basically?
>>
Are you a drug dealer or something?
If not, put it in your acct. Withdraw via ATM.

Get 2 cards for safety.
>>
>>1124839
Is it really that strange to have 1000 in cash?

Any suggestions for which cards are good?
>>
>>1124840
Don't know if I'd say strange, but it's surely not common nowadays.
>>
>>1124876
It is common, just not common wit young people. Old fags/cruise crowd do it all the time
>>
>>1124826
Hard to say really..
Your mileage depends on a number of factors
and not all money changers provide the same exchange rates

Since you will be in 4 countries with 4 different currencies, it may not be advisable to change everything in one go but to strategize with a plan.
>>
bringing cash is not that stupid, given that in some of those countries every ATM withdrawal gets hit with an additional 4-5USD charge - and that by the bank that put the ATM, not your bank. Considering that max withdraw amount is like 200 USD it's quite heavy. It's not everywhere though; in Thailand you can find "free" ATMs (they don't charge you, only your bank) but in Laos you can expect it.

Other than that, just check your bank charges for internation withdrawals/ payments, and check out whatever travel options it gives you.
If you can get it under 2% total you are good to go.
>>
Yeah guys I am still really confused. There is a lot of conflicting information online and none of the debit cards seem to stand out.

Any Australians with first hand experience please help a nigger out.
>>
>>1125112
I'm with commonwealth bank. They absolutely rape their customers with international transaction fees.
Cash is always a good option, try and arrive with US dollars if you can find a good exchange rate back in Oz. Currency exchanges in Asia will give you a better rate for local currency in USD than AUD.
ATM's are common in all the big cities and accept most cards, I've never had a problem. Rural Laos can be hard to find ATM's, so come prepared with a few days cash.
In Laos, I've been to plenty of places where you can pay in Thai Baht, USD, and Euros. USD is widely accepted in Thailand and Vietnam also.
Sell your bulk local currency to other travellers before leaving for the next country. Currency exchanges will not give you a good rate converting local currencies back into USD/AUD
>>
>>1124826
You don't need a card man, the level of bullshit replies in this thread is extraordinary.
You have AUD, a hard currency. They will love it in all countries except for Singapore because it's more or less the same value.
Bring your cash in AUD and exchange as you see fit.
In Singapore and Thailand the rates are posted on monitors as you do the exchange. You can shop around for the best rate but it's a couple dollars at most.
Stop worrying man, enjoy your holiday.
>>
>>1125062
>>1125062
Plus my bank has a 2.75% fee on the exchange rate. Good currency exchange you'll do better... A lot better when it gets into big $ over the time of the whole trip.

>>1125112
I use my actual card not a travel card. If you can get a travel card that has better rates and withdrawal fees than your bank then do that, otherwise use your bank card or cash.

Always cover your pin with a hand, in case of hidden camera recording it, and check for skimmer by pulling on things.
>>
>>1125112
I have a commbank travel card. Its shitbut, you get slaughtered on ATM fees atraexchange rates, I lose about 9% cash per transaction,but as aussies we have very few good options for long term travel. Ive heard citibank has a new travel card that is better value.
>>
>>1125251
Atm fees and exchange rates*
Bringing cash for 1month in SEA is what I would do, but if you are like myself and travelling for 2years, bringing 15k in cash is ridiculous so travelcards are the only real option.
>>
>>1125251
My card is "only" $4 fee + 2.75% how do you get 9% thats ridiculous.
>>
>>1125255
>$4 fee
Fucking outrageous.

Don't tolerate that. You shouldn't even bank with them anymore, to be honest.
>>
>>1125255
+2.75% conversion ratio? As in you convert from AUD to say Yen and there is only a 2.75% loss in value? What card are you using?
>>
I'm pretty sure bankwest plat debit/credit cards have 0% international transaction fees.
There are probably terms and conditions but I was looking in to this about a year ago and they had the best options for international travel at the time.
>>
>>1125272
Just checked it again..
The Bankwest $0 annual fee credit card waives the foreign transaction fee for platinum.. i think it's a 6k minimum credit, if you can get that approved it's probably still the best option but read the T&C because I only skimmed them and might have missed a hidden fee.
>>
>>1125272
Its not the transaction fee that hits you,its the exchange rate.
>>
The Checkout had a good segment on travel cards and how they are a massive rip off.
https://youtu.be/UOAO9119HAk?t=45s
>>
OP here, through my research I have worked out that standard debit cards are the best option, specifically one linked to a citibank everyday plus account. Free withdrawal from citibank atm's and no charges from other atms (not including the atms own fees). Of course you pay an exchange rate which can vary, but I think its done through the visa exchange rate which is generally considered very competitive.
It depends a bit on where you are going, in some countries they don't have citibank ATM's, and the atm fees of that country might be expensive, but then some countries have free atms anyway.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.