[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does the amtrak system suck so much for South-East to North-West
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: 2000px-Amtrak_System_Map.svg.png (840 KB, 2000x1251) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Amtrak_System_Map.svg.png
840 KB, 2000x1251
Why does the amtrak system suck so much for South-East to North-West travel? If I want to go from Mississippi to Washington by train it takes 50 fucking hours.
>>
Amtrak is only good in the NEC, actually. If you divided the Amtrak network into regional sections and privatized them all, the NEC one would be the only one to survive.
>>
>>1124631
I want to ride from Mississippi to Portland OR. If they would only make a line that goes diagonally like they did from NY to Cali, it would be easier.
>>
>>1124648
Amtrak actually does not own any of those lines; it leases them all from the various big freight railroads that own them. The reason why there is not a diagonal northwest-to-Southwest route is because one was never built.

Flying is the best option for your route.
>>
>>1124671
Yeah, flying makes me have anxiety attacks though. I have TERRIBLE flight anxiety. Was only a 4 hour flight last time I went. Four hours in constant panic attack is like an eternity. No joke, I'm pretty sure I shaved like 5 years off my life from just that one flight.
>>
>>1124625
Having done the Boston to Los Angeles round trip over a six week period, I would say you take Amtrak not because it is fast or get you places efficiently. Also it's the 21st century get over yourself and your fear of flying.
>>
Fun fact: The longest possible Amtrak route (without going out of your way to make it longer) is Redding/Klamath Falls to Miami which takes over 6 days.
>>
File: rr.jpg (71 KB, 736x551) Image search: [Google]
rr.jpg
71 KB, 736x551
>Hey guys! We got to get to work building a rail road for OP through the middle of fucking nowhere!

50 hours isn't that long. I spent 60 going from Denver to Seattle.

I'd say if you have the money get a sleeper car for at least one leg of the trip. But you live in Mississipi and are going to Portland so you don't have any money.

>>1124673
That sucks. I've known some people who use ativan for that.

>>1124846
Because everything north of Redding would be faster to go up to Portland and take Empire Builder?
>>
>>1124850
>I spent 60 going from Denver to Seattle.
How?

> But you live in Mississipi and are going to Portland so you don't have any money.
Literally why I'm leaving. I'm doing pretty okay for MS standards, but I still pay my bills and manage to save only like 200$ a month.

>I've known some people who use ativan for that.
It's now that I look back at my youth and wish I hadn't spent all of it under the influence. I can hardly get a buzz off of things now, much less keep myself from being scared. I had 9 Rum and Cokes when I got on the last plane I was on. I was sober when it took off I was panicking so bad.

>>1124687
>Also it's the 21st century get over yourself and your fear of flying.

Would if I could. I didn't know I was scared of flying until I got on a plane.
>>
File: union_pacific.gif (48 KB, 581x472) Image search: [Google]
union_pacific.gif
48 KB, 581x472
>>1124671
Not _entirely_ true. Some of the tracks are there, Amtrak just doesn't use them. For example, see this Union Pacific track map.
>>
>>1124625
TAKE A XANAX OP. thats what cured my flight anxiety
>>
>>1124625
>2016
>not using secret map to train hop BNSF
get on my level
>>
>>1124673
you need to get some benzo's like xanax or klonopin and take a few milligrams before the flight.

you will not be physically capable of panic.

problem solved. you're welcome.
>>
>>1124855
How do I get in on that sweet action?

>>1124913
>>1125000
I'm afraid that no benzo does anything to me. My dad is the same way. SHit genetics tbqh
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.