[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bay Area and LA Trip
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: LA-v-SF.jpg (803 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
LA-v-SF.jpg
803 KB, 1000x667
Hello-

Later this week my fiance and I will be traveling to the Bay area for a wedding, where we'll be for about four days. At that point, we'll be driving down to LA where we'll have four days as well. I was wondering if you all could recommend some great and interesting things you've done in those two areas. We're fairly adventurous but not "shooting heroine in an alley" adventurous. For the Bay area, it doesn't need to be limited to SF since we'll have transportation.

Big, tourist trap destinations are welcome but if you know of more off-the-beaten-path destinations, like small shops, comedy clubs, or attractions that need to be seen, I'm all ears. Thank you very much, anything you can provide is welcome.
>>
>>1124605
Coit tower, Alcatraz, Chinatown, Haight-Ashbury, Pier 39, MOMA, Botanical Gardens, are all good, touristy things in SF. I'd recommend at least looking into those to see if you're interested.

Haight-Ashbury is fun if youre into alt culture of any kind. There are lots of fun and unique shops all around that area as well as other major tourist destinations all in walking distance (MOMA, Golden Gate Park, de Young Museum, botanical gardens, and the Japanese Tea Garden).

If you're into /out/ there's Muir Woods and Marin Headlands right outside of SF. Both are really beautiful areas with good trails.

There's Mt Diablo in Concord, which has the 2nd largest view in the world, but there's really nothing else in that area.

Berkeley has UC Berkeley, I dont know if they give tours during the summer; but you can always walk the campus. There's also Telegraph street, which is kinda like Haight-Ashbury (lots of history with the hippies and later punk culture).
>>
>>1124622
I've been a Bay Area native for 10 years and this anon knows what they're talking about. The designated tourist trap area of SF is Fisherman's Wharf, but Coit Tower, Chinatown, MOMA, Marin Headlands, etc. are all where the real fun is for someone visiting. I would add visiting the Exploratorium on one of their adults only nights if you're into science or want to see some Bill Nye craziness. The Berkeley campus has a problem with crime even though it's a really great school, so don't walk around their at night. You'll be fine if you go with a tour group though.

Another oddity in SF is Japantown, which is the largest Japanese community in the US. Walking through the Kintetsu Mall, buying some candy, playing the games in their tiny arcade, and seeing a movie at the nearby Sundance Kabuki theater is a fun way to spend the afternoon if you like Japanese culture. Off the Grid, a food truck event in Fort Mason, Urban Putt, an indoor mini-golf course and restaurant, Free Gold Watch, a pinball arcade and design firm, are all cool things to see while you're there if you're looking for weirdness.

SF and Mill Valley are both incredible places to get coffee and pastries if you like cafes. Equator in Mill Valley, and Sightglass, Four Barrel, and Philz in San Francisco are fantastic. Peet's has a flagship store in the Marina if you like them, and their original store in Berkeley has a small museum section in the back. If either of you guys are into coffee, I could be more detailed. It's only my opinion though.

Brunch is a huge thing in San Francisco. I haven't had a ton of brunches, but Blackwood in the Marina is modern and upscale while still having great food and staying somewhat casual. People came in wearing hoodies and exercise clothing and nobody cared. The Palace of Fine Arts is within walking distance, and you can get some beautiful pictures if you go there in the early morning on a weekday before other tourists start swarming it.

Have fun on the trip!
>>
>>1124622
>>1125003
Hey, not OP here, but have a flight to SFO booked. Is San Fran similar to LA insofar as it's impossible to get around without a car? I wanna cheap out as much as possible on transport and walk for a couple hours everyday, like 5-6 hours. Is it possible to travel from say for example, SFO airport to Union Square on sidewalks or would I have to go really off country? I know that renting a car is pretty cheap but I'm under 21 with no license. Do pedestrians get fucked over outside the CBD?
>>
>>1125078
theres plenty of public transportation in SF. sfo to union square is a no go. the airport is in SSF and union is basically downtown. take the bart train to powell and take the trolley or bus from there
>>
Thanks all.

Any input on LA?
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.