[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello guys. I want to visit Czech Rep. Slovenia and Hungary on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: visegrad_eu.jpg (29 KB, 616x347) Image search: [Google]
visegrad_eu.jpg
29 KB, 616x347
Hello guys.
I want to visit Czech Rep. Slovenia and Hungary on my summer break. I'm looking for some tips, about which places One need to see, what food & drinkd i have to try, form peaople tah actually live there, not tourist guide bullshit. Im uni student so i don't have shitload of money, also im travelling with my gf. Also stories about this particular countries are very welcome/
>>
Don't really know much about Slovenia, but I like their balkan-style barbecue.
Hungary is a culinary paradise, at least for my European taste buds. Wine, fresh vegetables, langos, salamis, all kind of stews, fish soup, really good.
In Czechia definitely beer and Kofola, that's what locals drink...if you want some local spirits then Becherovka or Fernet or Slivovice. For food, definitely try all kind of sauces with knedle, or schnitzels or soups. Typical fast food is fried cheese with fries or in a burger.

For cheap travelling - the cheapest international connection is probably by buses, but there are some good offers for Budapest-Czechia trains as well and they are definitely much more comfortable. For getting around Czechia it mostly depends, but in some directions trains are very fast and cheap. There are private train operators running on the main line from Prague thru Pardubice and Olomouc to Ostrava (and further to Slovakia to Žilina and Košice) and the tickets can get ridiculously cheap. I like to say that this line gives you the best budget train traveling you will ever find in Europe.

https://www.regiojet.cz/
http://www.le.cz/
>>
I'm also visiting Budapest, and I was wondering if any locals know any good sneaker stores. I know of Nike official and Footlocker on Vaci Utca. Also, if there are any cool thrift shops or local designer shops I'd definitely give those a try. I know what to visit, but I don't know what stores to hit.
>>
File: DSCN0441.jpg (4 MB, 5152x3864) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0441.jpg
4 MB, 5152x3864
About Czech Republic
What to see:
Charle's Bridge in Prague
Prague Castle
Žižkov Tower
Prašná Brána near Náměstí Republiky
Vyšehrad
Náměstí Jiřího z Poděbrad
If you plan to also have some trips, then consider Terezín, Český Krumlov, Karlovy Vary or Castle Karlštejn.

Where to eat:
Strahovský Klášter (Strahov Monastery) near Prague Castle if you love beer.
Richer Brewery (this is place locals go to, no turists, so if you want authentic experience) which is on the tram line 3 or 10 station Bulovka.
For Breakfast Kavárna Slávia
There are tons of small pubs, if you want to more tips I can post here many more.

Tips:
Do not take taxi, use public transit
If you use Prague public transit, buy 48 hours tickets, they are cheaper if you will travel few times
Clubs are shitty
Do not go to any restaurant in the very city centre
If you will go by bus from Prague to popular destination like Terezín, Český Krumlov etc. withdraw cash (buses usually take only cash and not high value bills).
Restaurants rarely accept cards
Do not tip more than 30 CZK per meal. Usually Czech people tip even less.
>>
Is dvur Kralove safari zoo worth seeing? I really love animals.
>>
>>1125693
It's a pretty nice zoo. Might not blow you away, but if you love animals and have the time to spare, it's definitely good enough.
The safari part is kinda overhyped though if you ask me.
>>
In Slovakia visit:
- Lomnicky Stit cable track in High Tatras (expensive, but amazing, cool train rides too)
- Strbske Pleso (great hiking) in High Tatras
- Demänovská Cave of Liberty in Low Tatras
- Demänovská Ice Cave in Low Tatras
- Slovenski Raj (really great hiking park with a lot of good trails)
- Piestany spa's
- Bojnice Hrad
- Bratislava
- Devin Hrad
>>
>>1125715
Bonus: I really loved eating at Fabrika, in Bratislava. We were staying at the LOFT hotel, where it's part of. But you can also just go for dinner. They brew their own beer too.
>>
File: slovenia-slovakia-confus.jpg (27 KB, 467x300) Image search: [Google]
slovenia-slovakia-confus.jpg
27 KB, 467x300
Are you visiting Slovenia or Slovakia? I feel there's some confusion here.
>>
>>1125515
>Do not go to any restaurant in the very city centre
Lies, the scammy ones are only those on the very touristy spots like Old Town Square or Karlova lane. There are lots of great and solid restaurants in the centre of Prague.

>Restaurants rarely accept cards
from my experience most of them do nowadays

>>1125693
It's pretty average. Prague zoo is IMHO the best. I also liked the zoo in Lešná near Zlín when I was a kid.
>>
>>1125836
Guy who mentioned Slovakia here. My bad.... I saw the Slovakian flag in OP's picture and didn't read carefully after that.
>>
>>1125859
Geographically, Slovakia would make more sense though.... So I'm guessing OP got them mixed up.
>>
It was my mistake, I always mix up Slovenia and Slovakia. Since those countries are really close o me I can actually visit both of them.
From what I've heard Slovakia is the most similar to Poland and Poles can easily understand Slovakians since languages are not that different.
>>
Not OP, I will be in Tabor and Praha for 4 weeks, where can I buy pipe tabacco?
>>
>>1125875
>From what I've heard Slovakia is the most similar to Poland and Poles can easily understand Slovakians since languages are not that different.

You've heard some reddit-tier lies.
>>
>>1125715
I'm visiting the same countries as OP plus Berlin and Romania and I was wondering if the Folk festival in Detva is worth it. I'm gonna be nearby right when it's on and I haven't heard of it a lot.
>>
>>1125354
also interested in this
>>
>>1127018
Everywhere honestly. I every city there will be several stores that will have pipe tabacco. For example the Gecco chain has pipe tabacco.
>>
>>1125845
Anon plox ... city centre means around Old Town Square. I don't know what you mean by Karlova Lane - no such thing exist in Prague, either you mean Charles' Square (Karlovo Náměstí) or you mean National Lane (Národní Třída), but you cannot mix those two names into one.

And no, I am unsure what you are used to, but about 20% of restaurants here accept cards.
>>
>>1127261
Karlova is the lane leading from Old Town sq. to Charles Bridge, mr. smartass, but thanks for proving that you know nothing about Prague at all.
>>
>>1127272
Okay, now google "Karlova lane" and then google "Karlova street" and tell me, which one is correct :^)

learn to use correct terms in English.
>>
>>1127281
Lane is literally a narrow street in historical towns, retard. Just admit you had no idea that Karlova lane exists.
>>
>>1125354
ugh i lost a really long reply i just typed in, and i'm lazy

http://welovebudapest.com/shops.and.services.1/fashion.2/jajcica.alternative.second.hand.clothing.store

browse this.

gist of my reply was: forget sneakers, though there's a local brand called tisza (at westend or astoria) that may be good a souvenir

thrift shops, see above, designer shops, see mono (at astoria) or retrock on the above website
>>
>>1125875
lolwut
i'm hungarian (read: a bit looking down on slovakia, and don't speak anything slavic), but even i know that's off...

>>1124368
desu i always go for asian food in budapest, which might not be that interesting for foreigners....
oh wait, i know what you should do. go to market halls around lunchtime for teh authentic hungarian lunch.
rakott krumpli, rántott csirke, pörkölt nokedlivel, what have you...
chinese restaurants are obviously the cheapest, and they can be quite okay.
>>
File: Clipboard01.png (109 KB, 797x543) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard01.png
109 KB, 797x543
>>1127284
Grasp for more straws anon. It's hard when English is not your native language we get it.
>>
>>1125875
You mixed up the flag or the name?
>>
>>1127289
There is no official english name for that lane, you tard. Officialy in Czech it's simply "Karlova". Period. Just because google maps know only the term "street" doesn't mean you can't translate it as "lane" as well.

It only proves that you are a retard that either can't understand easily a simple text or never been to Prague.
>>
>>1124368
in Budapest check out Bors Gasztrobár on Kazinczy street for an inexpensive and quick way to fill up your batteries, they make delicious soups and really good grilled sandwiches

Kéhli is probably my favourite Hungarian style restaurant, it's near Árpád bridge on the Buda side, but Fióka is also worth noting, though it's a bit further out from the center

craft beers are pretty hot right now, there are literally hundreds of pubs that serve them in the greater downtown area, just google them or look them up on either Funzine.hu or welovebudapest.com - protip: you cannot go wrong with Élesztő

>>1125354
check out Retrock in Ankert köz and the various Szputnyik shops scattered across town, they have great vintage collections and a ton of designer pieces
>>
>>1127286
>>1127393
Thank you.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.