[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm going to be in Scotland for 2 weeks around new years.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: hero.jpg (526 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
hero.jpg
526 KB, 1600x1200
I'm going to be in Scotland for 2 weeks around new years.

I'll be doing some hogmanay related events ofc, but there seems to be so many to choose from? What would give me the best local flair?

Where is the best place to spend new years in Scotland? I'll be between Edinburgh, Glasgow, and maybe Inverness. A restaurant? A pub? Maybe a local festival ? I'm going with my girlfriend, so a romantic or highly atmospheric and fun place would be ideal.

What else is there to do for a history and museum buff in Scotland ? I'm sure there are tons of museums and historical tours, I have a particular interest in the first and second war, as well as anything to do with the struggle for Scottish independence.

Do you recommend I rent a car as well? Thanks!
>>
File: 1335456-20140130-XQ724W.gif (4 MB, 342x192) Image search: [Google]
1335456-20140130-XQ724W.gif
4 MB, 342x192
Op here,

Is an international driver license required for Scotland? I thought they are generally only required in countries that do no have English as a primary language.

Thanks!
>>
Edinburgh reporting. Hogmanay is pretty good here and people come from other parts of Scotland for it (mainly the street party on Princes st) My folks go to a dinner thing in a castle turned restaurant sort of place but I'll have to get the name. I was there once and it was a very grand affair and would be something you could take a gf or whatever to if romance is your thing. Not sure about Glasgow but I imagine it would be quite atmospheric with just the sheer amount of people.
>>
>>1124350
New year celebrations in Glasgow can be a very sketchy affair. The big one is Edinburgh.

Also worth considering is the fireballs at Stonehaven. http://www.hogmanay.net/events/scotland/fireballs-stonehaven
>>
There are loads of good walking tours in Edinburgh.
I like to take my wife to the ballet between Christmas and New Year. Scottish Ballet are doing Hansel and Gretel this year. Its romantic as fuck and is better than you think.
>>
As a resident in Edinburgh I advise you to avoid the street party, it is too busy to even fucking move. Book a meal then go to anywhere after 12, loads of places will be open till 5 and will have a decent atmosphere. If you want to go clubbing don't go to Hive unless you enjoy other people's sweat dripping onto you from the ceiling.
>>
>>1125120
Go to a Ceilidh (pronounced Kailey). They'll teach you at the start of the night how to do the dancing. You'll love it.
>>
>>1125120
Haha fuck hive man the only thing worse than the mustiness is the power tripping sociopathic bouncers. Where abouts you from?
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.