[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New York Travel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 9
File: YAoh46t.jpg (3 MB, 2668x1500) Image search: [Google]
YAoh46t.jpg
3 MB, 2668x1500
Hey /trv/ ! I'm heading to NYC in August! I'm from Australia, so please, if there is anything that is essential for the NYC traveller to do, please let me know!
>>
>>1124290
Get a Time Out guide from Dymock. Read it.
>>
Hoping to go next year. Can't wait.
>>
>>1124432
You got plenty of time. Any info can be found in that guide. Get a street map of Manhattan while you're at it. Bookmark mta.info on your mobile,that takes care of your transit information.
>>
>>1124290
1. Arrive at NYC
2. Rent a car
3. Drive to the Adirondacks
4. Have a good time hiking around woods far away from trashy immigrant hellhole
>>
Do tourist things since you're a tourist. I live 15 minutes outside of Manhattan, and 5 outside of the Bronx/Queens, so I'm fucking sick of it.

Go to the top of the Empire State Building, eat at overpriced and overhyped shit restaurants like Katz deli, take a selfie and turn Ground Zero into a tourist attraction. Oh and make sure you get in absolutely everyone's way in Grand Central trying to take pictures of the ceiling or do the talking corner thing.
>>
Can anyone explain as to why late October (20-25th) seems retardedly expensive? I got really cheap flights to NYC and assumed it was swing season - in between summer & winter peaks - and yet any decent 3-4 star hotels are US$250++ per night.
>>
Also australian, also travelling to new york, kinda. I have to go to D.C in july, but i'm getting in a couple of days early to see NYC for like 48ish hours. My plan is:

>land in Dulles
>catch a bus to new york
>check in at this cheapish ymca near central park to dump my luggage at
>wander around the city looking at shit

Is there anything wrong with any of that? I've never travelled alone before.
>>
File: 20140411_221632.jpg (988 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20140411_221632.jpg
988 KB, 3264x2448
>>1126374
If you want to get the most out of NYC you should just not sleep for that entire 48 hours and go on a wild adventure for the entire time. I'd give some time to check out the natural history museum and Moma tho. Definetly worth the time and you can donate as little as 5$ to get into the NHM. Brooklyn can be fun if you know what you want to see out there. I found it's easy to get lost in brooklyn because of how fandangled all the streets are. They go every god damn which way and every neighborhood has a similiar look to it aside from the people living there(heavily segregated). Avoid coney island, It's nothing special unless you want to see the atlantic ocean and some weird ass russians.

If you've got the time it might be worthwhile to check out a yankees game, or go to a dunkin donuts and get a free mets ticket like I did. The game might be kind of boring but the audience can be just as enjoyable as the sport.
>>
>>1124290
If you want killer food without breaking the bank, go to The Halal Guys at midnight. They have some of the cheapest eats in town and their Chicken and Lamb over Rice is next to none. Also, walk across Brooklyn Bridge and stop over at Juliana's for lunch. I guarantee that you won't find a better pizza elsewhere in NY.
>>
>>1126394
I did consider the whole staying awake marathon thing, bc I could have saved money not having to get a room there (my DC accommodation isn't available until the 3rd). I decided there wasn't really any other place to stow my luggage tho so I wound up just getting it anyway.
Also super disappointed at how prohibitive it is to get tickets to hamilton.
>>
>>1126433
God can't get tickets to Hamilton. They might sweep the Tonys. Go to the Tkts booth in Times Square and see what they have for a decent price.
>>
I'm going to New York in 2 months also, anybody got any information on riding the subways? I assume as long as you know where you need to go you can use google to find out what you need to do
>>
>>1124934
Ground zero is a tourist attraction.
>literlly 9 years old when it happens at school in east villiage
> was kinda bummed i missed gym for an impromptu assembly
> anyways in nyc to this day and i'll probably never go there.
>>
>>1126370
Haloween? Idk boston haloween is way better
>>
Hey guys, I'm also going to NYC from Australia next week, I'm there from 21 June to 8 July. I haven't got a whole lot planned but is there anything I should do on 4 July?
>>
>>1127980
Watch the fireworks from your hotel TV. Don't even think of going there yourself.
>>
I'm visiting NYC in Jan with my girlfriend, but we want to go somewhere else. I thought maybe we could stay 3 days there so we can go to all the major points and eat all the best food, and then maybe go 2 days to Philly.

I thought of Philly mostly because of the food and that's what we both love, but I was wondering if there's a better spot to visit close to NY? Would it be better to start a new thread altogether?
>>
>>1128092
Stick to Philly unless you want to ride 4 hours on Amtrak to Boston.
>>
I'm an Aussie in NY. Best way I've found is to stay with airbnb which is a lot cheaper than hotels etc and not to stay in Manhattan. At all. Stay in Brooklyn. The subway is easy to figure out and most attractions like museums and galleries are free/pay what you want if you go at the right times. Expect to spend a lot of money on food, but it possible to survive cheaply on bagels and fruit from street carts. Dont go to Manhattan on the weekend. Spend time in central park and East Villiage and stay clear of midtown and all the touristy things. Also dont buy those giant ass pretzels from the food carts, it's not worth it.
>>
It's not even a nice place as far as cities go. It's only good if you love immigrants and modern art murals and holocaust museum #10,511
>>
>>1124290

Spend two days in NYC seeing the tourist stuff and eating cheap food, then take a train or bus down to the far superior Washington, DC. New York City sucks.

> live here
> want to move back to DC :(
>>
>>1129334
What's so good about washington?
>>
>tourist think they can get tickets to Hamilton

HAW HAW HAW HAW. Sold out for months. Just go to Hunts Point in the bronx if you want a good time.
>>
>>1126370
There's LITERALLY no down season in NYC. We get people coming in from around the world every single day for various reasons.

You're best bet is always just to do your homework and hopefully get lucky.
>>
>>1129334

>dc
>superior to nyc in any shape or form

Dude why would you lie and potentially fool some poor sap into believing that? Theres a reason why USA is one of the only countries in the world where the capital city is not one of the top tourist destinations.

Im not saying dc doesnt have stuff to see and do, but god damn theres no fucking way that you ran out of stuff to do in only two days of NYC and wouldnt have if you were in dc instead.
>>
>>1130793
I went during mid may and I found that to be the best time to get a full nyc experience. You can still go to a hockey game and a basketball game and baseball just started so you can check out one of those games too. The weather is just warm enough to be tolerable and not too warm where all the garbage starts to cook up making the city smell like a sewer. You also have the added benefit of having most kids still in school.
>>
>>1130734
Tons of free museums and the zoo. If it's run by the Smithsonian,it's free.
>>
Going to NYC in Juli as well for 1 week before going to San Diego to travel to Seattle over the course of 3 weeks.

1 Question about NYC: Is there a cheap place/alternative way to rent a bike for a couple of days? All these online booking sites are at least 16bucks per day. I've rented cheaper cars...
>>
Staying in Bedford-Stuyvesant for 2 weeks over Chistmas and New Years. How fucked am I?
>>
Check out crocodile dundee. Its an imfomercial about an Assie going to NYC. Everything in that movie is true.
>>
File: NYC_2-compressor.jpg (287 KB, 2140x1104) Image search: [Google]
NYC_2-compressor.jpg
287 KB, 2140x1104
NEED HELP

so, im a jersey guy (sorry) and despite being able to see NYC from my house, it costs $30 a person on train to get there and back.

Found out the cheapest way is to go to staten island ($11 ezpass toll getting in and free coming back), and the ferry which is free and around $7 for parking.

Havent taken that ferry yet. I cant seem to find much info online for the parking. Are they all private lots? is $7 accurate? are there lots to avoid and some to definitely go to?
>>
File: image.jpg (532 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
532 KB, 1920x1200
This YouTuber have ideas for places to check his name is Multiandriew.
He visit places in New York and random videos.
>>
>>1131728
There are literally people from the other side of the world that have been there, and you complain about 30 bucks. Wat.
>>
>>1131625

Not very but maybe a little.

My job required me to be in that area at like 3 in the morning a few times a week. Sure you see some sketchy nigs but mostly its drunk hipsters at night. Never got the impression i wouldnt be safe, you just gotta own that shit and not look like a worried bitch.

Ive honestly never been there in the day but basically all of NYC is safe during the day within common sense (ie no dark alley "shortcuts").
>>
>>1131744
i love nyc
and yea, 30$, cuz if it were cheap id be there 2-5 times a week. instead, its tough to go with my wife and daughter spending $90 just for the train alone.. we go rarely cuz of it. And thinkin that i mightve found a way to do it for less than 20 for all of us means we could go often.
>>
>>1131728
why dont you just take the PATH straight into Penn....
>>
>>1131728
I know very little about Jersey/NYC but I stayed in Jersey and there were $3 jitneys that went to Port Authority. There's nothing like that where you live?
>>
>>1131728

A cheaper way to get to NYC from NJ is to park your car at the North Bergen Park and Ride (off of Route 3/Route 495) and from there take the NJ Transit bus to NYC. It costs like $10 both to park your car there and to get a round trip bus ticket.
>>
File: image.jpg (193 KB, 660x370) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
193 KB, 660x370
We went in November. Here's some things we did:

- Stayed a Hotel Pennsylvania
- Get a Metro Card for subway
- Empire State Building at night
- Statue of Liberty
- Time Square
- NBC Tour
- Rockafeller Center
- United Nations
- Radio City Music Hall
- Museums
- Central Park
- Ground Zero
>>
>>1126395
I lived in NY for a few months and was embarrassed at how often I was eating at Halal Guys. I would kill for some halal right now
>>
>>1131860
boring generic vanilla fuck fest of a vacation.jpg
>>
I'm going to be getting to new york around about midnight and walking up 7th avenue for about an hour to west 63rd street with my carry-on bag and a big ol suitcase.
How safe will that be? I imagine manhattan is a pretty safe area of new york but looking as much like a tourist as I will has me a little concerned. Should I just shell out for a cab?
>>
Can i live in new york with a fly in fly out job?
>>
>>1133511

Plenty safe. Really doesnt get any more safer than the avenues.

Why dont you just take the subway though?
>>
>>1131860
>>1132868
Exactly my thoughts. Who the hell goes to the UN building? What the fuck do you do there, look at the huge conference rooms? And Radio City Music Hall? Why would you even do that?
>>
Im going monday for the first time to the USA.
What do you recommend on doing besides the touristy stuff?

What are some good rooftopbars/real clubs to go out?
What are some good places to eat alone at the bar?
Are there any diners you recommend? You know, those like in the movies.
>>
File: 1466786699974.jpg (213 KB, 1195x1500) Image search: [Google]
1466786699974.jpg
213 KB, 1195x1500
I'll be staying in New Haven, CT, for a week. What's the cheapest way of getting to NYC, other than driving there? Greyhound bus? Any other cheap bus companies?
>>
>>1134240

Look into trains, generally the cheapest and most hassle free. Highly recomend not driving. Bus also cant be THAT bad, just try and find out if theres an express one in/out of the city.

But yeah if theres a trainstop nearby id highly recomend going that way.
>>
>>1134240

Metro North train, for sure. Costs about $16 each way, somewhat more if it's during rush hour. Takes you right into Grand Central Terminal.
>>
>>1124898

I would recommend downloading the MTA subway map app - that way you can view the map while you're on the train, even if you don't have service. If you're on a crowded train it may be tough to see the map, so it's handy if you don't know exactly where to get off.
>>
>>1131424

You can rent Metro Bikes for as short a period as you need. Download the app.
>>
File: 20140409_155835.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20140409_155835.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>1131424
I brokered a deal with some dude on craigslist to rent a bike for a week for 40$. I probably could have negotiated a far better deal considering how shitty the bike was.

There's also a bike share program that could be far cheaper if you're only going to ride from spot to spot. I easily put 100km on this bike over the week i was there.
>>
>>1134255
You could have bought that shit for $30.
>>
File: uczucie_5.jpg (143 KB, 807x1013) Image search: [Google]
uczucie_5.jpg
143 KB, 807x1013
I'm going to hijack this thread a bit since I'm going to New York City in October, and I have some questions, but I don't think they're worth another thread on NYC.

1.) From the top of which building is the best view? One World Trade Center?
2.) What are the best budget ($$-$$$ish) ramen and sushi joints in Brooklyn and Manhattan (or possibly elsewhere if it's SO good as to make a special excursion)?
3.) Any cool arcades or anything like that?
>>
File: 1RHsi9F.jpg (1 MB, 1800x2143) Image search: [Google]
1RHsi9F.jpg
1 MB, 1800x2143
Bumping this.

Has New York gotten better or worse since Bill de Blasio became mayor? I'm thinking about making a trip soon and would like to know.
>>
>>1134304
Yea, probably. is there a stolen bike district where homeless folks sell off their goods?
>>
>>1134388
t b h, f a m, ramen is pretty shit outside of Japan. The best bowl you're gonna get is from Ramen Shack in BK. Check their hours though cause they're only open weird times.

Arcades are mostly barcades. We have one on st. marks, one in williamsburg, and a few scattered here and there like 2 bit and the pinball place.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.