[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the restrictions on flying international flight on an
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (366 KB, 1280x972) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
366 KB, 1280x972
What are the restrictions on flying international flight on an ultralight aircraft? Specifically from the states to canada then to Ireland and back? What documentation would you need and where would you have to check in for customs and such?
>>
>>1123965
Lol
>>
>>1123999
how helpful anon
>>
>>1123965
In America you're not supposed to fly an ultralight father then 50 miles from where you took off. They're also limited to 5 gallons of gas.

If you really want to do it look into a sport pilot license, that way you can carry enough gas to get somewhere. Also, float planes for flying over the ocean, but they need calm water to take off again.
>>
>>1124203
So you do need a license to be able to carry the fuel? How about customs checks, where would I need to head so I'm not arrested for possibly being a smuggler?
>>
>>1124208
Do you even know how to fly a plane?
>>
>>1123965
I feel silly for responding to this bait, but in real life someone flying a personal/private aircraft internationally would be in radio contact with air traffic controllers at his or her destination, who would guide him or her to a runway for landing and thence to customs and immigration control.

And ultralight aircraft obviously cannot make trans-Atlantic flights. But the idea of flying an ultralight internationally is interesting--if you were near a border, of course you could theoretically hop over it. It'd probably be illegal, though.
>>
>>1124429
Sage the bait you idiot!
>>
>>1124429
>>1124437
seriously this isnt bait. this is trip i plan to make in about 5 years. i cant seem to find anything from just google searches so i figured id come here and get info from people that i was sure would know way more than i do about this.
>>
>>1124616
Well, good luck if this really isn't bait. Tiny aircraft cannot cross the Atlantic, as you will learn almost immediately if you don't already know.
>>
>>1124619
I dunno man, solar power is the future. if he installed a bike and solar panels on top of the wings, I think he could make it.

the republicans and oil companies are reppressing green technology and it's their fault black people can't learn to read. berie 2016!
>>
>>1124616
>>1124621
Not bait. Yeah, right.
OP probably don't even have a pilot license.
If he had, he wouldn't be making such stupid question.
>>
>>1124635
>Pilot's license
>Ultralight

You don't need a license for an Ultralight you retard.
>>
>>1124649
And you want to cross the fucking ocean and enter another country with something that don't even need a license?
For fucks sake!
I wonder who's the real retarded here!
>>
File: 1387514767790.png (69 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1387514767790.png
69 KB, 225x225
>>1123965
>then to Ireland and back
>>
>>1124621
Hadn't considered solar power or any form of manually generated power. That could help a lot actually.

And Ultralights have the potential to travel extremely long distances with the proper motor and with the right planning for refueling stops it could happen. Fuel isn't the issue and getting there isn't either. It's just the policies and having proper papers that's the problem.
>>
>>1124932
>And Ultralights have the potential to travel extremely long distances with the proper motor and with the right planning for refueling stops it could happen.

This thread is already absurdly pipe-dreamy/theoretical--you, or OP, if you are not the same person, are never going to do it or anything like it. But I think someone should definitely try.

People already do quixotic things like round-the-world ballooning. A super-green transatlantic voyage on some kind of winged solar bicycle airplane is a worthy addition to the crazy-people-going-long distances canon. Is someone already flying around in a solar/other long-distance ultralight?

As they currently exist, all North American-air legal ultralights max out at a distance of maaaaaybe 80 miles with favorable winds (50-60mi max is typical under normal conditions). That's somewhere in the neighborhood of 43 or 44 refueling stops on the shortest aerial path between Canada and Ireland, which is to say, not even close to possible. Just too many miles of ocean between North American and European soil (Greenland and St. Pierre and Miquelon excepted).

But the technology to power a personal aircraft that could travel much farther does probably already exist, even if nobody is currently using it.

Any real aeronautical engineers here? Get on it!
>>
>>1124932
>Hadn't considered solar power or any form of manually generated power. That could help a lot actually.

It could if you build your own ultralight with inflatable wings and put solar panels on top.

fly very low, just above the ground, and bring some sandwiches
>>
check out solar impulse, a swiss guy travelled around the world in solar airplane, but he had a lot of funding and huge support crew. just saying its possible, but goodluck OP
>>
>>1124945
That isn't an ultralight though, it's light, but it's not an ultralight.

>expensive
OP wants to go far, but he doesn't need to circle the globe in one trip, right?
>>
>>1124945
Same whacko who circumnavigated the Earth in a balloon (I think--he eventually made it, right?). He actually hasn't made it all the way around the world in Solar Impulse yet--looks like he flew from Switzerland to Abu Dhabi to Japan to Hawaii before it broke down, though, which is pretty damned impressive.
>>
>>1124969
Exactly. It's nowhere near as far a a lot of people have tried to go and have gone.
>>
Would lining the tops of the wings with something power film solar panels work? Just in the pursuit of not having to make an entire new from for the whole thing?
>>
>>1123965

Build it yourself. If you build an aircraft yourself, it's considered experimental, and you can basically ignore ALL THE LAWS.
>>
>>1123965
Guys stop being so closedminded. I think queer post-racial african theory and feminist math can help us solve this problem if we work together.
>>
>>1125056
Shit seriously? Even if it's based if the specs of other aircraft?
>>
>>1123965
Dude, you are going to die if you do that. If you get even slightly shitty weather up North in the Canada/Iceland area your ass is gonna get sent to the bottom of the ocean.
I mean like, just don't do that. I've done some really stupid shit in my day, sneaking onto yachts and shit, but this is just dangerous. Sounds like you don't even know how to fly.
>>
>>1123965
Ultra lights are a fucking death sentence m80, if you get weather slightly tougher than a gentle breeze it's gonna knock your ass into the ground.
>>
Do what those west Germans did in the 80s to rescue their brethren and fly into restricted airspace, visit for 10 seconds then fly back out.
>>
>>1124936
>Is someone already flying around in a solar/other long-distance ultralight?
Around the world, yes, it's been done. With solar planes anyway. In closed aerodynamic craft with support crews.
>>
>>1125711
And probably a lot of money involved. From big sponsors.
>>
>>1123965
>flying an ultralight over the atlantic
Kekerino!
>>
>>1124976
he didn't finish it? i only assumed he did as it was ages ago, i remember his flight from japan to Hawaii kept getting cancelled and or he went like 200km but then kept turning around , until one time he made it
>>
Do you really fucking think you could make it from canada to iceland in an ultralight? Are you moronic? An ultralight's range is like 100 miles. A light-sport aircraft will get you ~400 miles. You need a full blown license to fly across the sea doofus.
>>
>>1125794
He's been doing it in lots and lots of smaller stages and is now in the process of finishing the thing in his second plane.

They've been working on improving the technology to allow him to fly longer at night--a night flight to (through? Over?) New York was just rescheduled last week.

So assuming the crew is now in or approaching New York, I guess the final stage will be to get it back to Europe.
>>
>>1125831
>solar impulse

>3600 lbs
>top speed: 50mph

Jesus.
>>
>>1125832
So the transatlantic leg will be a mere 70 or 80 hours in flight! Piece of (terrifying, maybe fatal, boring at best) cake!
>>
>>1125815
>An ultralight's range is like 100 miles

Suppose he lives less than 100 miles from Canada, many of us do.
>>
>>1125851
>wants to fly from canada to iceland in an ultralight
>implying that already living in canada somehow makes this more feasible

jesus christ the intelligence of 4chan has really shit itself
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.