[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Greetings, travelers! This summer, I'm planning a trip from
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: edinburgh.jpg (90 KB, 1280x600) Image search: [Google]
edinburgh.jpg
90 KB, 1280x600
Greetings, travelers!
This summer, I'm planning a trip from my home in continental Europe up North, over Calais to London and Edinburgh. Now my question is: what to do between London and Edinburgh? I know I could just sit on a bus for 9 hours and get to Edinburgh that way, but that doesn't sound appealing, so I'd much rather make the most of it and see as much as I can on my way. What lies between the two that I should not miss? Are they easily accessible by bus/train? Are there cheap places to stay?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>>
>>1123855
York, nice historic city with good transport links. From York it's a short train ride also to Durham, and from Durham there is a direct train to Edinburgh.

Or you could stop off at Berwick and check out the Northumberland coast and places such as Alnwick and Bamburgh, though that would mean looking up timetables for local buses which might not run very often

You should be able to find plenty of cheap hotels or hostels in York with no difficulty, not sure about Durham or Berwick though, might be a bit pricier. You'd need to work out the best way of doing it. It's easy on the train but not that cheap, but there should be buses running between these places as well.
>>
>>1123868
Agree with all this. The railway line from Berwick to Edinburgh is one of the most scenic. Maybe somewhere to consider near your route, outside London, is Cambridge. Beautiful and interesting historic university town, of course.
>>
>>1123868
So for instance London -> York -> Durham -> Berwick -> Edinburgh? Thanks it definitely goes on my list! Hadn't considered York! How long should you stay in Durham and Berwick to see the sights? I know that Durham has a cathedral, but other than that, I don't know much about it.
>>
>>1123879
I've been to Cambridge before, so I'd rather make it a little faster up North where I haven't been, but thanks!
>>
I hear the Lake district is incredible, but I wouldn't be able to say which part specifically. But yeah, if you're going up north, might as well check it out.
>>
>>1123880
Durham is tiny, so you can see pretty much see the entire city in a day. Maybe a couple of days in Berwick, so you can spend a bit of time in the town and also go to Lindisfane/Bamburgh etc and see the coast.

>>1123927
The Lake District is wonderful. Bowness and Lake Windermere are the easiest to get to, but the public transport from the northeast to the northwest is horrendous so it would be a major detour.
>>
If you're visiting Edinburgh but not Glasgow, you can fuck off.

Normie scum.
>>
>>1124785
back to /b/ you fuck
>>
>>1123855
nature
lake/peak district

historic places
york durham lincoln cambridge

citylife+art scene+night life
liverpool, manchester, newcastle

Wildcards
Grimsby- ironic grimey uk life tourism
Birmingham- UK immigrant life, visit curry mile/balti triangle
oxford/cambridge - try sneak into a university lecture

also I live in edinburgh, its good but small, glasgow + daybreaks to countryside recommended
>>
>>1123855
Is there a part of Europe that's not continental? I know we use the term continental United States (CONUS) to refer to the 48 states that are attached. Also continguous. Are there parts of Europe that aren't attached? I guess the crown colonies could be considered part of Europe, but are they?
>>
>>1125738
Islands like Great Britain, Ireland, and Iceland are often considered not continental.
>>
>>1124785
Ah the weegie inferiority complex rears its head once again.
>>
>>1125714
>>1123868
These two posts pretty much summed up anything I was gonna say so I'll just say that these are good starting points.

I would recommend a place like Lincoln, or a sight like the Angel of the North, but they're both annoying to get to if you're just using trains/coaches and offer very little other than sightseeing.
>>
I'd also recommend the Peak District but it's a bit hard to get to the nice parts with public transport. It's also somewhat of a distrance from the eastern coast.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.