[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do you find people to travel with? I meet people out on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /trv/ - Travel

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: the gold rush 3.jpg (105 KB, 540x360) Image search: [Google]
the gold rush 3.jpg
105 KB, 540x360
how do you find people to travel with?

I meet people out on the road, but I'm interested in doing india and I have heard that it's better to travel with others because people are not so friendly
>>
>>1122256
People are very friendly in India if you actually talk to them. If you wander from tourist attraction to tourist attraction and only talk to the people who approach you (100% scam artists) then yeah it's gonna seem like people aren't friendly.

I've been to India 3 times for 2-3 months each time and I always find cool, friendly, generous people, but never at a famous tourist destination. The cool middle class people are in malls, it's like the 80s over there and malls are cool to hang out in. I've also met cool Indians at places where domestic Indian tourists go, but almost no foreign tourists.

Plus, there are a ton of backpacker/hippie towns where you can make new friends just by sitting down at a strangers table/pile of pillows acting as a chair and introducing yourself. I've never had a problem meeting new friends in India and it's one of the reasons why it's one of my favorite countries to visit.
>>
>>1122265
so where would you go?

I'm thinking 1/3 of my time sightseeing, 1/3 backpacker places, 1/3 going out into more rural areas
>>
>>1122265
where are you from originally
>>
Most indians are very nasty and it can be a very dangerous place. Only nice ones are who want something from you.
>>
>>1122297
source?

>>1122296
also this
>>
>>1122256
I did India alone. If you're in one of the backpacker locations (Udaipur, Jaipur, Goa, Hampi, Kochi, etc.) you're very likely to meet other people travelling in the same direction who you can tag along with.

>>1122297
There are kind Indians out there, but they aren't the ones you'll find on the street. I met and befriended an Indian girl in a Goa hostel who was extremely kind, well informed and educated, atheist etc, They are out there but the chances of you meeting one is extremely low, considering 99.9% of the country is poorer than you, and see you as a giant dollar sign.
>>
>>1122290
I've been all over from Kashmir and Ladakh to Kolkata and West Bengal hill stations to Mumbai and Trivandrum in the south. Every trip I focus on a different area of India.
>>1122296
I'm American, but Indians always seem to think I'm Australian.
>>
>>1122290
Also, India is so jam packed with epic ruins and awesome non-famous places that I don't even recommend going to the famous sites like the Taj Mahal. As an overall experience, I don't think it's worth it considering you have to pay like $50 to get in and Agra is a city basically built to rip you off and piss on your face just as an extra "fuck you" because they know tourists will always come to visit the Taj and it doesn't matter if their streets are filled with con artists and pick pockets and their hotels are charging triple the normal rate for substantially worse service. Just so your research about other Indian wonders that foreign tourists don't often visit like the castle at Jodhpur or the living castle of Jaisalmer or the abandoned Potala Palace in Leh or that giant temple in Madurai, etc. there's awesome shit everywhere you go, so just go where the crowds of package tourists aren't and you'll escape 95% of the scumbags trying to scam you.
>>
Has anybody posting in here actually been to India?

I lived in Delhi for two years. There are tons of decent people in India, and they far outweigh the assholes. Of course, if you're planning to stay at foreigner hostels in tourist ghettos in town after town after town, you will run into people trying to rip you off. If, on the other hand, you make an effort to connect with ordinary folks, you will likely be rewarded with hospitality and friendship. I've made great friends just talking to strangers on the street. You just can't be a fucking idiot and invest trust in a person who asks you to see his uncle's carpet shop or for 2000 rupees twenty minutes after meeting.

It blows me away how people will hate on cities like Delhi while staying in neighborhoods that are full of beggars, touts, and con artists, like Paharganj and, to a lesser extent, Karol Bagh. Or they'll only talk to poor people or some other crap because they want to be spiritual, real-traveling hippies.

Last time I was in Delhi just a few months ago, me and an Indian friend got invited to a party at a fire station. Got tons of free booze and food and was asked if I wanted to go on a ride with them some time. Shit like that always happens to me. I think some people just stay in crappy places and think that all Indians are after their money and shit.

There are tons of shitheads in India but you've got to me a toad to think the country is ubfriendly.

Sorry, on a bus in Nicaragua and typing on my phone is hard
>>
>>1122529
>I'm American, but Indians always seem to think I'm Australian.

probably because you arn't an ass
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.